Googles latest AI doesnt need geotags to figure out a photos location

goldmap

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google's latest AI doesn't need geotags to figure out a photo's location

howdy all, i'm a newbie gold panner, been doing tons of research, will be doing my first outing soon.

in researching i see tons of people showing videos and pics of them finding nice gold, I assume they assume nobody will locate their spot from a picture or video, they might be wrong. google's artificial intelligence is getting smarter.

Google's latest AI doesn't need geotags to figure out a photo's location | The Verge

now it's far off before we can play with the tech if at all, but it's fun to ponder. and they sometimes give the public access to some of their ai algorithms for pay

i plan on showing most of my finds and where i find it up to a certain point, but I will for sure think twice about showing off a big find in the spot where i found it ;)

(aside, if this post doesn't fit here, just gently let me know, i'll get to dumb newbie questions next, just found that fascinating)

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually if you know the date and time of a photo you can calculate where it was located with a little math as long as you have the height of an object in the picture.

BTW.... welcome to the assylum!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i rarely use my camphone to share pics....use a small digicam if you want to show pictures of locations and keep it secret....I don't trust having the location settins off even if i'm in a no service area!!!!one of the few things I'm actually paranoid about

OP
OP
G

goldmap

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@goldenIrishman thanks for the information and the welcome @OwenT you are welcome

@Goldwasher i need to learn more about gps coordinates on my phone, i'm actually not worried about people knowing my location and actually want to record my location even when i'm not in service, i don't expect to find the big one so i want to error on the side of always recording my position

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love technology. But we all really need to be aware and protect ourselves.

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i rarely use my camphone to share pics....use a small digicam if you want to show pictures of locations and keep it secret....I don't trust having the location settins off even if i'm in a no service area!!!!one of the few things I'm actually paranoid about

the bigger the paranoia,the closer to reality you are Gw.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can track you through a cell phone if you use one . I own one most people do now They can be tracked even in a no service zone through satelite . It's just a fact in or off as long as the battery is in it , just saying . Now be more paranoid !!!!!!!!!!!

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can track you through a cell phone if you use one . I own one most people do now They can be tracked even in a no service zone through satelite . It's just a fact in or off as long as the battery is in it , just saying . Now be more paranoid !!!!!!!!!!!

I heard when you are in a no service zone or even gps location turned off, that tracking location points are stored in memory and then dumped back into a datebase when you get back into service range.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GPS satellites don't track anyone. They are nothing but incredibly accurate clocks with an antennae.

It's true that phone location data can be tracked by the phone company, law enforcement or anyone with a stingray. If you don't have a cell signal no one can track the phone.

On topic - Google's PlaNet program hasn't made much progress - they are still trying to get their system to identify stick figures.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Take a picture with phone camera (gps turned off). Then view the photo and screenshot it before sharing.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have warned each other for a while about turning the GPS off on your phone before taking photos. People liked to pull out the phone and take insets of artifacts and you could pull the pic right click and put it on the map.
TURN ofF the GPS and protect your treasures from thief's.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have warned each other for a while about turning the GPS off on your phone before taking photos. People liked to pull out the phone and take insets of artifacts and you could pull the pic right click and put it on the map.
TURN ofF the GPS and protect your treasures from thief's.

Have done this for many years now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread