Crevice cleaning

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many pieces of bandsaw blade of different lengths are in my work kit. Stuff holds up well to rock, is flexible and thin. Usually free if you know where to ask.

Heavy pans

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like metal or wood cutting blades for a saws all power hacksaw and you can get a handle for them at home depot or lowes or sears for that matter .

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conduit strapping works great also...the thicker galvanized stuff. You can turn one of the holes into a hook end. Wrap other end with tape. Thicker than saw blades but strong...wear it down make a hook with the next hole

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was me with the bloody hands digging in your dumpster the other night. :laughing7:

Time to go crevicing Bob? :thumbsup:

I need to find a good crevice first... 6 months ago, I had a sawn off 55 gallon drum FULL of used up blades... Tossed them all so I could use that half barrel to
go get some dirt... That half barrel is still full of dirt.. (I've been busy busy)...

I've seen people use the bigger heavier blades to make knives, but the smaller stuff is kind of useless once it dulls up.. Cheaper to replace than sharpen..

Not being a charter member, am I allowed to give it away for shipping cost? I've got 4 or 5 of them out here that are useless to me for actually cutting metal, and all but one
still feels sharp.. I can coil up a few feet and toss it into a small flat rate? They are just going into the dumpster at some point, and if somebody can get some use out of 'em.....

Goldwasher:
Conduit strapping works great also..

I was looking to see what I had outside for broken blades thrown on the ground and saw some steel banding out there.. The black stuff, a bit springy, but still quite
flexible... Not as stiff as a band saw blade, but for crevising... probably work quite well, and its soft enough that you can serrate it with a pair of tin snips.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
That was me with the bloody hands digging in your dumpster the other night. :laughing7:

Time to go crevicing Bob? :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

It's guys like you Clay that force me to 1. snort coffee out my nose 2. Almost pee my pants because I'm laughing so hard and 3. Keep a lock on the dumpster!

I 'm going to have to try the bandsaw blade thing. I've been using a painters multi tool/scraper and it's done pretty well. Not quite as flexible and mine is getting pretty well worn.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It just occurred to me that a cut off hacksaw blade, or any other thin blade saw, may work to get to the bottom of some of those thin cracks that we encounter. The teeth should help to rake the material from the crack. Is anyone else using them?

Hey! You just gave me an idea on how to re-purpose my brand new pack of assorted recip saw blades (and that's a good thing...cuz I can't find the saw) :BangHead:

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many pieces of bandsaw blade of different lengths are in my work kit. Stuff holds up well to rock, is flexible and thin. Usually free if you know where to ask.

Heavy pans

That reminds me that I have a couple of old band saw blades in my wood shop. Time to chop them up and wrap with duct tape.:icon_thumright:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use with caution as the sharp , offset teeth, scratch the heck out of gold as much softer. Just like coins it's condition condition condition that predicates price. Quick run down a grinder wheel and teeth gone and good to go. Keep them nuggets pristine for max bang for your buck and hard labor-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions