Methow Valley Washington withdrawl proposal

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like how they admit they are fighting the long standing mining law and admit they have no legal argument; but because they organized 250 people that have no idea about modern mining to show up at a meeting and protest they believe long standing US mining laws should be overturned.

It's not a political statement anymore to say these people are environuts and they shouldn't have this image in the public eyes that they care anything about America its history, people or the environment.

They are the most selfish people on earth if you look at the big picture and their end goals of no outdoor activities or related economies. Their final goal I believe is only hiking with ski poles will be legal, for a trail fee and with a permit of course.

Edit I wanted to add these people use the very resources mined like proposed copper in this case everyday in their everyday lives. They conveniently forget this. While they obviously want all the mining sent overseas they are not understanding if we are wholly reliant on other countries for important resources like steel copper gold etc it could come back to seriously hurt us as a nation during future conflicts or as global unrest continues to escalate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HMiller

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you ever been to the Methow Valley? You sure sound like you have. :laughing7: You should see them when I show up with my deer buggy every year. Always get the dirty looks. lol.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you ever been to the Methow Valley? You sure sound like you have. :laughing7: You should see them when I show up with my deer buggy every year. Always get the dirty looks. lol.

No but I can relate haha. People pay 10 dollars to go hiking in my town here in the Bay Area! I'm a hobby photographer sort of so I boycott taking pics of wildlife if they're going to charge me to walk on public lands and a major reason why I'm set on leaving the SF Bay Area.

I've also been kicked off a couple of beaches here for MDing and questioned/interrogated:) a couple of times for a recirc sluice while trying to prospect in the Sierras and felt like they were trying to insinuate I could get a fine. I also follow the dredging issue on here although I've only dredged for fun a few times I feel for people that want to do it for a living and believe strongly in their right to. Misinformation campaigns, studies and groups have targeted dredgers and even people wanting to run something as basic as a sluice in some places here.

I guess I know firsthand how stupid the restrictions are and the way they try and intimidate even small people trying to have fun in the outdoors:) That being said I haven't suffered anything like real miners have and can only sympathize or try and imagine how they and others like yourself feel.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I saw in the linked article, they're trying to get the area withdrawn from mineral access which is the only way they could stand half a chance of stopping the mine from going in. BUT... it may be too little too late if claims have already been filed as I think they would be grandfathered in. I've seen mines in National recreational areas that are still running because they were there before the area came under the National Park Service control.

What many of these environuts don't remember (or possibly know) is that any substantial mining operation is required to put up a reclamation bond to insure that the land is returned to a natural state once the mining is completed. They also forget that if it's not grown, it's mined. They would have us depend on foreign sources for the materials that we need to sustain our country just so they don't have to look at a mining operation. The old "Not in my backyard" arguement and mentality that has gone on for years.

America needs to get back to having the ability to supply our own materials whenever possible instead of being dependent on other countries that may not be all that friendly towards us and could cut off that supply at any time.

OP
OP
HMiller

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here! Here! Well said. :beer:

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mind quote that GoldenIrishman, cause I expect I'm gonna.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread