Help!

itismerc

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the lack of info! Pretty new to this! The creek is in the upstate area of South Carolina, it's less than 1/10 of a mile downhill from a gold mine that was mined at the end of the 1800's. I don't have any pics yet. I have tried a spoon in the cracks, and scraping the top of the bedrock up both sides of the bank prospecting a creek, the bottom is all exposed bedrock from one side to the other, finding ALOT of black sand, also quartz, bb's, and garnet in the area, but no gold!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Black sands are iron minerals that can be found in quantity most anywhere on earth but gold is one of the rarest elements on earth so if there is no history of gold in your area you are not likely to find any. It would help us to help you if you tell us your general vicinity.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well if your at bedrock there's not much else you can do, it's a gold bearing area I assume. I would start breaking slate or prying cracks in bedrock and if you don't find gold in the bedrock call it a day and move to a new spot. Sometimes big storms clear out the area of huge boulders and take the gold on top of the bedrock with it so maybe your in one of those spots. Just my 2 cents.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Giving us a problem to solve without little informational things like a general location is like expecting a car to run with an empty gas tank. It's just not going to work!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
prospecting a creek, the bottom is all exposed bedrock from one side to the other, finding ALOT of black sand, also quartz, bb's, and garnet in the area, but no gold!

Well, that can be a common problem.

First off, what state are you in?

Do you have any pics of the creek?

Have you busted out any of the bedrock cracks to see if there
is gold buried deep inside?

What equipment are you using to try and extract gold?

Like the Golden Irish Dude (he is not Conor McGregor) said, there's
a lot of factors involved, so a bit (OK, a LOT) more info would be helpful.

OP
OP
I

itismerc

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the lack of info! Pretty new to this! The creek is in the upstate area of South Carolina, it's less than 1/10 of a mile downhill from a gold mine that was mined at the end of the 1800's. I don't have any pics yet. I have tried a spoon in the cracks, and scraping the top of the bedrock up both sides of the bank

allenknight555

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If gold was found there in the late 1800s its most likely they panned up the creek to find the source .look for cracks in bedrock and clean them out with a screwdriver or piece of wire ( hit the end with hammer to make a scoop) . walk down till you see a small sand pile or gravel bar and pan the bottom layer.gold is heavier then anything in the creek and it will find absolute bottom. If bedrock looks like shale layers pry up any pieces loose in the lowest parts of the channel.

Sent from my LGUK410 using Tapatalk

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Do some more research on the old mine. What type of ore were they getting? Did they work the ores on site or were the ores hauled to a smelter somewhere else? When did the mine close and for what reason(s)?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread