Gold Smelting

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
I am planning on smelting some black sands that have gold in them and the mold i have isn't big enough for the black sands and flux needed for the process when poured. If I poured into two molds will the 2nd mold have the gold as it would have sunk to the bottom of crucible or does the settling of the gold happen when its cooling?

Upvote 0

Rockwerx

May 31, 2015
Alberta
Detector(s) used
2 ATG, ATP, JOBE 36 Yellow Jacket Stream Sluice, Jobe EZ Sluice, Garrett pans, lots of buckets!
Primary Interest:
Other
Your best results will be from pouring your smelting mix into one mold. Your second choice would be to break your black sands into smaller more manageable batches and doing a complete pour each time.

goldforlife

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2016
Salmon, Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best results will be from pouring your smelting mix into one mold. Your second choice would be to break your black sands into smaller more manageable batches and doing a complete pour each time.

wondering how much black sands to produce any sizeable button..?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wondering how much black sands to produce any sizeable button..?

Fun question...it depends. On how much gold is hiding in that black sand of course. Which can vary by SO much!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am planning on smelting some black sands that have gold in them and the mold i have isn't big enough for the black sands and flux needed for the process when poured. If I poured into two molds will the 2nd mold have the gold as it would have sunk to the bottom of crucible or does the settling of the gold happen when its cooling?

Just a thought. It is not clear what mesh size your black sand concentrates are but if it is mostly mixed sizes you might be able to further classify it to smaller sizes and pan most of the gold out and maybe not have to smelt such a big amount or at all.

Good luck.

goldforlife

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2016
Salmon, Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I saw a yt vid about smelting a small qty in a microwave oven (standard kitchen type) enclosed in firebrick and with a crucible.. turned out pretty well, I want to try this myself if I get adventurous. fire extinguisher and outside of course :)

Rockwerx

May 31, 2015
Alberta
Detector(s) used
2 ATG, ATP, JOBE 36 Yellow Jacket Stream Sluice, Jobe EZ Sluice, Garrett pans, lots of buckets!
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea I saw a yt vid about smelting a small qty in a microwave oven (standard kitchen type) enclosed in firebrick and with a crucible.. turned out pretty well, I want to try this myself if I get adventurous. fire extinguisher and outside of course :)

That is an interesting way to smelt gold. Be very careful with whatever method you use. Might be a good idea to purchase a second hand microwave oven for the experiment. Good luck with your project!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
If your black sands do not contain about 30% or more gold/silver/metals smelting will not work.

Last edited:

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
:( Dang i must be getting old, your just too quick for me Chris!

Yep, black sands melt at a very high temp, much higher than gold. In most cases smelting black sands doesn't work. Sorry to be a downer. Look into the hard rock stuff. If your con's are rich its much better to use chems. Smelting isn't very efficient at all.
In rich BS, crush your con's to -30 mesh and roast until red hot and no sulfer smell is noticed. Do this outside with a breeze. After roasting batch your con's and cover by 60% in hydrochloric acid. Do this outside as well as the hydrochloric fumes will rust everything!
You should notice a reaction. The HCL will attack the iron.
Rinse well and repeat, and repeat. You should be left with gold and a small amount of black powder. This is now meltable.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try running your black sands through a ball mill to further help with micro gold extraction before smelting. If you smelt using a microwave, make sure it's dedicated to that purpose, as you never know what toxins could come out and have a way of hanging around and getting into food cooked in the microwave later on.

Personally, I would have a professional assay done to see if it's even worth it, as black sands can have a bunch of gold (and platinum as well as rare earth minerals) and sometimes can be rather barren. One last word of caution; be extremely careful to make sure there isn't any mercury hiding in anything you are smelting, as the vapor from it is very deadly!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very, very good advice. One refinement: read the threads here about rod mills as that is better than a ball mill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions