No digging in banks?

alberg99

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly new at this and I've been a little confused by something. Every video I watch has some dude/gal on a river bank digging or what have you. Yet all GPAA sites, many states and parks don't allow digging in river banks... Okay. So with the knowledge that the gold usually settles on the inside of turns in the river, at the river's high/flooding points, where is the next place to go if you can't go in the banks or am I missing something. I am located in Ohio.
Thanks and I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't apologize! and welcome to TNET! We have a knowledgeable group here. If you have a question just ask. But up here in NH. we aren't supposed to dig bankings either but some still do! What I do is look for gravel benches in the river, move some rocks, find the finer gravels that contain gold (hopefully). If you don't know what a bench is? They may look different throughout the country they basically are where the current pushes up gavel deposits when the river is running high as it recedes it leaves behind strips of gravels outside of the main channel. That's what I dig in.

OP
OP
A

alberg99

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info and thanks for the warm welcome!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bank itself shouldn't be dug into or areas held together by vegetation, areas that have washed out, gravel bars, toppled over tree roots,
areas that have bedrock showing, any where within the scour zone are all good. usually you can work on the back side of a river bank if you leave a buffer back
from the top of the berm generally 4 to 12 feet as long as it doesn't jeopardize the stability of the river bank during a high water event.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alberg99

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it. Makes much more sense to me now. Appreciate all the help, guys. Love this forum!! :)

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and I hope you come up with the gold. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Riparian habitat is the name and big tickets are the game which is insane. New insanity in calif says 3' into the creek ,away from the bank, is where you can work. FW mandates 100' from creek is holy grounds not to be desecrated OR even no engines at all sic sic sic insanity-John

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
Can I set up my sluice up on the bank of a river or stream or pond with a holding pond for run off on private land. And suck up dirt to make more room for the fish. not looking for gold.Ha Ha

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't apologize! and welcome to TNET! We have a knowledgeable group here. If you have a question just ask. But up here in NH. we aren't supposed to dig bankings either but some still do! What I do is look for gravel benches in the river, move some rocks, find the finer gravels that contain gold (hopefully). If you don't know what a bench is? They may look different throughout the country they basically are where the current pushes up gavel deposits when the river is running high as it recedes it leaves behind strips of gravels outside of the main channel. That's what I dig in.

I might add that they also are evidence that the river may have changed it's course over time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions