Battery/charger help, please.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I ordered a recirculating cleanup sluice off ebay and I need help getting the battery for it. I have zero experience with these type batteries so if I could get some suggestions and links that be great.

The pump says 12v 3amp so I'm going to take a wild stab at it and say I need a 12v 3amp battery? ..found that pretty easy on amazon but the charger... not finding that.

Attachments

• 1458191477415.jpg
    1458191477415.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually only Deep Cycle batteries are listed with Amp/Hour (Ah) ratings. Automotive batteries will list Cranking Amps (CA) or Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) or both.

Deep Cycle batteries tend to be used with a slower discharge (constant drain), where auto batteries use a lot of power really fast (engine starts).

Deep Cycle batteries normally do not have as long a life expectancy as automotive batteries due the more severe discharges involved, as well as less frequent use.

For running a pump throughout the day, you would do better with a Deep Cycle battery. This includes AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) such as in the pic above (post #15).

The Amp/Hour (Ah) rating for Deep Cycle batteries can also be misleading. Many batteries are now made in China with little if any quality control, and using low-quality materials/components. For a 12V pump that uses 3A, if you're running all day, I would recommend 18Ah to 20Ah. You might even consider buying 2 batteries - have one for backup.

The lighter the battery type, the more expensive it will be. Lithium batteries are some of the newest technology, and therefore are some of the most expensive. However, lithium batteries generally need a special charger, as other "normal" chargers can likely damage or shorten their lifespan.

With ANY lead acid or AGM battery, you should have no problems using any of the chargers listed above. Keep in mind that AGM batteries don't like being overcharged, so a charger that automatically switches to float mode or switches off would be a good investment.

You may see numbers on a battery charger such as 200/60/10/2 or 10/6/2. In the first example, 200 would be the amps it can provide for starting an engine and and are meant for very short-term use. The 2nd number stands for Fast Charge; used when you're in a hurry and have a very low battery, but you don't want to fully charge a battery using this setting. The 3rd number is slow charge - this is what you would primarily use to charge a battery provided you can allow it to sit for several hours or overnight. The last number is trickle charge. This setting is for keeping large batteries fully charged, like in sub-zero temps, and for charging small batteries, such as the 12V 18Ah (or 20Ah) that you need. In the second set of numbers, there is no "Start" setting. Otherwise, the two sets are basically the same. Note: NEVER use greater than 2 setting when charging small, AGM batteries. It generates too much heat within the battery.

And finally, lead acid can leak, whereas AGM is sealed.

You can learn TONS of info about batteries and their corresponding chargers by doing some web searches:
"Ah" That may seem like an awful simple search, but you will quickly become very knowledgeable about what Amp/Hour is all about
"AGM battery"
"deep cycle battery"
"choosing the right battery" or "how to choose the right battery"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread