Battery/charger help, please.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I ordered a recirculating cleanup sluice off ebay and I need help getting the battery for it. I have zero experience with these type batteries so if I could get some suggestions and links that be great.

The pump says 12v 3amp so I'm going to take a wild stab at it and say I need a 12v 3amp battery? ..found that pretty easy on amazon but the charger... not finding that.

Attachments

• 1458191477415.jpg
    1458191477415.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lmao..that's what I want to know. But we got alligator clips here. I'm lost.. I Googled chargers but...I'm having a brain fart please help me and post some links to a setup that will run this bilge.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at this battery on Amazon, but how do I charge it?

Attachments

• 1458192141375.jpg
    1458192141375.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 144

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 amps is the draw rate so if you want it to last all day you would need a battery based on amp hours divide by the 3 amps
I use a 20 amp hour wheelchair/ATV battery so I should get 6 hours of run time but it starts to slow down at about 4 hours
I don't run it continuously so it lasts long enough to do my clean-ups over the weekend
a deep cycle battery like for a boat would work best. I think a car battery is 40 to 45 amp hours.
they say to make a battery last you should only drain it half way before recharging.
this is the one I have. I just use my 12v car charger (on the 2amp setting)
12V 20AH SLA Battery Replaces 51814 6FM17 6 DZM 20 6 FM 18 LCX1220P | eBay

Last edited:
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 amps is the draw rate so if you want it to last all day you would need a battery based on amp hours divide by the 3 amps
I use a 20 amp hour wheelchair/ATV battery so I should get 6 hours of run time but it starts to slow down at about 4 hours
I don't run it continuously so it lasts long enough to do my clean-ups over the weekend
a deep cycle battery like for a boat would work best. I think a car battery is 40 to 45 amp hours.
they say to make a battery last you should only drain it half way before recharging.
this is the one I have. I just use my 12v car charger (on the 2amp setting)
12V 20AH SLA Battery Replaces 51814 6FM17 6 DZM 20 6 FM 18 LCX1220P | eBay

Man I don't know what it is about electricity but my brain just turns off... lol I barely understood any of that..I wonder why by brief career as an electrician lasted all of 2 months..haha

Let me try though... so a 3 amp battery being drawn by a 3amp "per hour" pump will be good for an hour?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:
I had a small 12v 6Ah battery that worked good for about a month then stopped taking a charge.
a car or ATV battery will work as long as its 12 volt they don't always show the amp hours(Ah)
you have to look close or ask or google
some people use one of these it's 17AH so at 3amp draw it would last 5.5 hours
3-in-1 Portable Power Pack with Jump Starter

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
MyTime....are you doing this at home? Then just use those clips on your car or truck battery.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MyTime....are you doing this at home? Then just use those clips on your car or truck battery.

Genius right here. Thank you sir :eek:

I'd still like to understand completely and I think I do. Except the charger. Using my truck battery makes sense. Cause I have an alternator to recharge it. But how do you recharge a car battery with out the car so to speak?

Last edited by a moderator:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to put a 5 or 7 amp fuse in positive line of the pump and battery sorce . If something happens it's better to blow the fuse than start the wires on fire .

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For chargers I highly recommend the Genius G750. More importantly than a charger, it is a maintainer, and a "resurrector". I have brought back to life three junk 12 volts with it and they now run like new:

Amazon.com: NOCO Genius G750 6V/12V .75A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger: Automotive

Alternately, you can buy a portable 12v car battery jump starter (which has already been mentioned), which will serve multiple purposes as a battery AND a charger (but not necessarily a maintainer). The Stanley's are a good option, as long as you choose the correct model (some have built in air compressors, lights, etc.):

Stanley 1000-Amp Peak Jump Starter with Compressor - Walmart.com

Personally, I use a Duracell 12v 20Ah Sealed Deep Cycle battery with the Genius Maintainer. It is strong enough to run my highbanker all day long on the river intermittently, and isn't a back breaker. Very happy with this setup.

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the perfect battery for you I'll give you if you want, was just given 10 of them from a good friend. There top quality, 92ah battery bank cells. Ideal for home use but too heavy for the field. I'll post a pic when I get home. I spent $180 on a sealed 85ah agm right before I got these, would save you quite a bit of $ .

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to run it in the field Harbor Freight has a solar powered battery charger. It only puts out a few amps but if your pump only takes a few amps it should keep your battery charged.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post.
I'm in the same boat for my Drywasher.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to run it in the field Harbor Freight has a solar powered battery charger. It only puts out a few amps but if your pump only takes a few amps it should keep your battery charged.

The solar stuff from harbor freight is way overpriced for some reason compared to everywhere else, or I should say ebay or amazon. I purchased this 100W high quality briefcase panel with charge controller for $189 and im quite impressed with it. With the right battery and exposure to light you can run all day long for multiple days with it depending on what your running.

20160317_170021.jpg 20160317_170233.jpg

check out the links to see the difference in price compared to watts

100W Folding Foldable Solar Panel Complete Kit for Battery Off Grid Camping DD | eBay

13 Watt Briefcase Solar Charger

45 Watt Solar Panel Kit 10 Pc Kit

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the POWER! lol, so yeah a friend of mine really hooked me up. These came from a government radio repeater site, they are 15yr batteries and the government changes them out after 4 years regardless if there good or bad, your tax dollars at work! These batteries are top quality and expensive! check it out> OSI Batteries - EnerSys PowerSafe SBS-C11 Sealed Lead Acid Battery 12.0v 91.0Ah Was going to put some in my trailer and keep some at home for power outages and projects, but I can spare one to you if you want it. If not no sweat i'll find a use im sure. One would power that bilge pump for 30 hours on a single charge!

20160317_170714.jpg 20160317_170734 - Copy.jpg

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for all the replies. You guys are awesome! Eventually I will need one for the field but right now this is just for my home use.

I like the Chargers and or resurectors/maintainer that echoplex and jimmydolittle posted. Cheaper is always good place to start and what I was looking for.

Asmbandists, heck yea ill take one that would be really nice of you brother. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread