Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haven't clicked on any links yet as am heading out to DIG! :hello2:

Latest News
This message covers several topics, all of which are important and timely. We will provide links as necessary to keep the length manageable. The news pertaining to MMAC is very informative and we hope you find that some of your questions are answered concerning the MMAC mission.

PLP & MMAC TRIP TO WASHINGTON D.C.
PLP's Northern Director Clark Pearson and MMAC Founder Joe Martori traveled to Capitol Hill in Washington D.C. for a series of meetings spanning 9 days discussing the MMAC Bill and the Mining Districts with Congressmen, Senators and their aides. Joe and Clark were well received by every group they met with and reported that many in Washington are aware of the problems that exist in this country. To read the full story, please go to PLP & MMAC GO TO WASHINGTON D.C. | Public Lands For The People

PLP & MMAC PRESENTATION AT BLM ROUNTABLE
PLP & MMAC will be doing a presentation in front of the BLM Steering Committe on March 24th, 2016 in Ridgecrest, CA starting at 6:00 p.m.
To review the agenda and other important information, please go to https://gallery.mailchimp.com/de6c3...BLM_Steering_comt_agenda_3_24_16_Rev_2_2_.pdf
We invite you to attend this important event if possible.

GPAA GOLD & TREASURE SHOWS
PLP attended the recent GPAA Phoenix Gold & Treasure Show and would like to thank:

Mike Pung from Gold Cube for donating a Gold Cube for the PLP show raffle. Mike had to pull a few strings at the last minute to make this happen, and the result was PLP raised much needed funds to continue its mission.

GPAA Phoenix Chapter • GPAA of Apache Junction • Prescott Valley GPAA • Gold Fever of West Valley for making a donation to PLP from the show proceeds. We do appreciate it.

PLP will be attending the following Gold Shows. Please stop by our booth and introduce yourself:

Nor/Cal Gold & Treasure Show April 2-3 Vallejo, CA
Portland Gold & Treasure Show April 9-10 Portland, OR
Seattle Gold & Treasure Show April 16-17 Monroe, WA
ICMJ Mining Summit April 16-17 Placerville, CA
Idaho Gold & Treasure Show June 11-12 Garden City, ID
Denver Gold & Treasure Show June 18-19 Brighton, CO
PLP EBAY CLEARANCE SALE
We want to scale down on some of our existing styles of hats and T-shirts, so many of these items have been reduced to $5.00 apiece. If you had been thinking of getting a hat or shirt, please take advantage. We also have gold concentrates as well. To navigate, please click on PLP eBay Merchandise

Thank you very much,
PLP Board of Directors

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In what way is it closed now?...anyone can dig on open public lands and on thier claims.I see nothing stopping them. I'm all for clubs and groups made up of part time small time guys standing up to keep those rights.

I'm not for the " recreational aspect getting pushed to where areas are created for "recreation" for the sake off appeasment.

Then we can be told...." 90% of you are wannabes weekend warriors and bucket listers "...." we have made these special areas for you".....now we can amend the mining act and the claim system so ONLY "REAL"......miners can dig
" it's not like your all that serious about it it's only a hobby and we GAVE you somewhere to go stop complaining!!!!

What a backwards way to look at it Terry

Buddy, just take a look at my neighborhood for places to prospect/claims available in Land Matters. There is none and I want some. What we have done so far is loss w/o gain.

A Real Miner

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so you know. This is one of the guys that was in DC. We spent less than $3,000.00 and had meetings with 36 Senators and Congressman, 3 committees and swayed as you put it, at least 18 offices and 2 committees on mining districts solving a lot of existing problems. We also were asked back a second and third time to personally go over our plans because they saw the mining districts as their answer to public land designations and problems in DC. MMAC was also asked to review 4 Bills currently on the Hill. MMAC is still working on a daily basis with the offices we met with.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And FWIW and totally IMHO...I think sticking with labels and the old laws defending them is a tough row to hoe...and only because of the current "green" situations that affect each and every one of us daily. It's not something like freedom to bear arms, right? Family, recreation and being green are the new realities. The only way to gain majority acceptance is appeal to the majority. Big mines and politics...court, and all that ensues...now THAT is a tough row to hoe and shouldn't be our fight...but sadly is. Soap box is now open. :icon_thumright:

Good points and I agree it's a tough sell but I'll soapbox you this:) The mining law was written in the hay day of the small miner here to protect the common man and wasn't written just for big mining. Although mining has PR issues obviously it is up to us as a community to work towards showing artisanal/small scale mining is zero impact, honorable part of culture, history and the other benefits. In Australia especially and in some other countries whenever a threat against small mining happens most all the small scale prospectors band together citing the mining act and win most the time so this idea works with everyone knowing the laws and banding together to preserve the mining act.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just so you know. This is one of the guys that was in DC. We spent less than $3,000.00 and had meetings with 36 Senators and Congressman, 3 committees and swayed as you put it, at least 18 offices and 2 committees on mining districts solving a lot of existing problems. We also were asked back a second and third time to personally go over our plans because they saw the mining districts as their answer to public land designations and problems in DC. MMAC was also asked to review 4 Bills currently on the Hill. MMAC is still working on a daily basis with the offices we met with.

Well since I have this opportunity let me just tell you this.. Makes no difference who you talk to where you go.. MMAC ADVISES AND REPRESENT NOTHING!
I recognize MMAC as nothing.. In no way shape way or form does MMAC now or ever will represent me or my mining interests..

Hard to say whats the bigger threat.. These environmentalist groups or MMAC... Both seem to be influenced by MORONS... Or maybe its just GREED..

I personally think everyone should boycott any business who supports MMAC.. The ICMJ Mining Summit is coming up.. A lot of that money goes to support MMAC/PLP.. everywhere you turn you are paying to be screwed.. Don't GO!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Read this pdf it's short I promise
http://www.jeffersonminingdistrict.com/MMAC_Offer_Rejection_Order.pdf

"This "MMAC" "offer" is an elaborate and deceptive ruse to dis-empower mineral estate grantees through false inducement to accept the "One Voice" of mere federal stakeholder, advisor at the discretion of an Executive agency implementing its Outcomes, or by future interference of a foreign federal agency."

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well since I have this opportunity let me just tell you this.. Makes no difference who you talk to where you go.. MMAC ADVISES AND REPRESENT NOTHING!
I recognize MMAC as nothing.. In no way shape way or form does MMAC now or ever will represent me or my mining interests..

Hard to say whats the bigger threat.. These environmentalist groups or MMAC... Both seem to be influenced by MORONS... Or maybe its just GREED..

I personally think everyone should boycott any business who supports MMAC.. The ICMJ Mining Summit is coming up.. A lot of that money goes to support MMAC/PLP.. everywhere you turn you are paying to be screwed.. Don't GO!

Yeah Victor...things keep going as they go and more and more, seems we make more of a difference on our own. After all, the orange cards don't expire and the info YOU gather at time of "infringement" can be used at/when it is appropriate.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good points and I agree it's a tough sell but I'll soapbox you this:) The mining law was written in the hay day of the small miner here to protect the common man and wasn't written just for big mining. Although mining has PR issues obviously it is up to us as a community to work towards showing artisanal/small scale mining is zero impact, honorable part of culture, history and the other benefits. In Australia especially and in some other countries whenever a threat against small mining happens most all the small scale prospectors band together citing the mining act and win most the time so this idea works with everyone knowing the laws and banding together to preserve the mining act.

Yep...but this is the good ol USA where people feel like they have a right to pluck and plunder w/o regard to anyone or anything. We get lumped into this group and it's going to be an uphill battle as soon as it starts...which is why I now go rogue...with respect to claims and private property. I mean...the last time I was out I used a trowel, small pry bar, 1/2 classifier, bucket and was 25 feet above the creek. I filled the hole before I left. And I complied with the rules. How hard was that?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We are lumped into this group already Jeff. If you watch the anti mining propaganda they always show a big mine tailings dam failure even if the piece is about small scale mining. We have no real counter propaganda to refer to besides people having fun prospecting on YouTube.

Since we are already losing the PR battle badly there is no harm in using and preserving the 1872 mining act as best we can. To keep areas open and mining alive until such a time people are educated enough to separate modern safe small scale mining from foreign or historical irresponsible mining.

Having said that some modern mining companies still use methods in other countries like "upstream" tailings dams and until they all start using "downstream" or safer dams in general we will always see these dam failures in the news every few years and this indirectly affects public opinion here along with jungle mining, hydro and merc use etc in SA.

Then pile on the groups pumping out studies to close areas, their shills and employees posting anti mining links everywhere on FB and around the web it leaves us at a serious disadvantage on the public opinion side, even if you claim to just be a hobby recreational prospector these groups will close "mining" to you in a heartbeat no matter how you want to label it or what equipment you intended to use. It isn't a grey area with these groups it is all mining and mineral entry, they don't care if you wash the dirt in your mouth and just keep the heavies below your tongue spitting out the lighter material you were mining and they are against it.

In my opinion we need a series of videos and a public education campaign showing American modern small scale mining for what it is safe, fun and a major part of our history.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW! Two people in Washington DC for nine-days and you only spent $3,000.00? Did you fly or drive, take the train, hike there? My wife and I were there for two-days and it cost us a lot more than $333.00 a day! How did you do it? I want to save some bucks next time I go! :notworthy:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW! Two people in Washington DC for nine-days and you only spent $3,000.00? Did you fly or drive, take the train, hike there? My wife and I were there for two-days and it cost us a lot more than $333.00 a day! How did you do it? I want to save some bucks next time I go! :notworthy:

Terry he could have stayed at a friends house:) How about you ask this instead: Cool nice to meet you Mr A Real Miner how does MMAC represent individual hobby or recreational claim holders in different states and what do I get for donating to this cause?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry he could have stayed at a friends house:) How about you ask this instead: Cool nice to meet you Mr A Real Miner how does MMAC represent individual hobby or recreational claim holders in different states and what do I get for donating to this cause?

Wait, you didn't think I seriously want to know how to save a few dollars in Washington DC? Hey, God bless these guys if they are helping small miners and recreational clubs and prospectors. I want to know how two people can spend more than a week in one of the most expensive cities in the United States so inexpensively - that's all. Looking for some hints and tips!

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Wait, you didn't think I seriously want to know how to save a few dollars in Washington DC? Hey, God bless these guys if they are helping small miners and recreational clubs and prospectors. I want to know how two people can spend more than a week in one of the most expensive cities in the United States so inexpensively - that's all. Looking for some hints and tips!

Well lets see...they hitchhike there and camped on the white house lawn. Yea...that's it.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Recreational" gold miner/prospector is a kin in principle to Communism, in theory it's a wonderful idea, in reality and practcality it's a complete and utter failure. I don't think folks have a true understanding of the powers and protections all miners have through the laws that are already in existience. By reclassifying yourself into a lesser category you are giving away your rights, no one is taking them, you are willfully surrendering them. Our problem is, all we want to do is dig dirt and be left alone. No one wants to get involved with the other aspects necessary to preserve and protect what we do. I've said it a hundred times if I've said it once, if we were doing what is required of us as stated in the mining laws, none of this would be an issue. We are kinda of like the hoarder who has a big beautiful house with all the things a person could ever need, but sleeps in the travel trailer outback because the house is overflowing with crap and they don't realize it's up to them to clean it. Folks (me included) continually point to our rights being taken away from us. In many cases this is true, but not in this one, our rights are right there just waiting to have someone stand up for them, they haven't been amended or removed- simply ignored- by us.

What if being a "recreational" miner meant you were not eligible or subject to the protections and rights granted by the 1872 Mining laws or any other subsequent legislation? Or as a condition of being a recreational user your strictly limited to hands and pans only in designated recreational prospecting locations? In addition let's say recreational prospectors could not legally without a commercial license prospect areas open for discovery or claim such areas, or retain any gold in excess of 1/2 an ounce annually? Or in the designated propecting areas the new Department of Rereational Prospecting (a subdivision of MMAC) puts controls in place to "preserve the prospecting experience for future generations" and starts requiring "catch and release" or the surrendering of your findings at the nearest kiosk? If this were a reality, how many of you would be willing to call yourselfs "recreational" miners or prospectors?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about leaving out the word..."recreational"
"Small scale" sounds better anyway.

Thanks for the thread Jeff! Education AND... PLP shirts for 5 Bucks!!:headbang:
And they offer 3XL!!:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is I have a claim that can be worked most profitably by dredge. Not only is it the most cost effective and efficient means of extraction, it is also the most non evasive and environmentally friendly way. The laws are backwards due to false since and bs as it promotes much more disturbance of the natural landscape to mine within the current laws by means of excavation of the surround higher deposits, having to clear forest to bring in larger equipment would also change the landscape significantly. The government is trying to force us to become "recreational" buy outlawing the best method of extracting for a good majority of us. These are essentially trying to force us all into this submissive grouping at their will not mine. The term "recreational" miner should be more like "forced to do it this way" mining. This all goes back to the government allowing mineral rights but not allowing the means to extract which is what I think the fight should be focused on. No new news to many of you, but that's how I see it atleast. Instead of trying to conform to what they want, we should be trying to preserve what is ours already and what truly makes sense.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all semantics - in my opinion, as to what you call yourself. However, if you have filed a legal mineral claim with the gooberment, and you are working that claim, then you are protected under the Mining Law - no? With that in mind you can call yourself "Shirley" if you want to and not lose those rights or affect them in any way. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread