John Schnabel Passed Away....RIP

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010

John Schnabel is a legendary gold miner in Alaska. He is the patriarch of the Schnabel family, former mayor of Haines, Alaska and shareholder of the Big Nugget Mine.
On 11th February 2016 he celebrated his 96th birthday. On March 18, 2016 he passed away. Surrounded by friends and family. Please show that we are all caring humans during times like this and keep the comments positive and supportive. We are better than this. [SUP][1][/SUP]
Deceased 3/18/16, per post by Gold Rush.
[h=2]Contents[/h][show]

Upvote 0

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The world lost a great man. His legacy lives on through Parker. John Schnabels love for his grandson was more beautiful than all the gold in the world.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Such a dear dear man. You can only hope that someone like John Schnabel is in your life,such a great guy.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He will surely be missed. A great man with superb values and great knowledge. God speed and big nuggets to you.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the great divde, by all accounts a honest, hard working family man. Thoughts and prayers for his family as they must fill a large void left by the passing of kind and gentle soul.

koldkut

Jul 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very humble man,with deep love for his Grand son.Sympathy for his family,and all who were lucky enough to know him.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a regular viewer of the show, it appears he had one heck of a life.
He will be missed by all. Family, friends and fans of the show.
Hope Parker continues mining, this may shut him down
He had a great attitude.

95 year olds that go through major surgeries and still ride in helicopters don't raise quitters.......Parker will be ok. If anything he may be more driven since he know Pawpaw is ALWAYS watching over him now:thumbsup:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandpa Schnabel left a good deal of himself behind - he gave his Grandson Love and guidance for oh so many years including advising him to learn to build into his crew goodness that shaped them all into a cohesive team. Grandpa is still there and will be as long as Parker is there. Quite a family! God Bless you Mr. Schnabel................63bkpkr

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The outpouring of love for John is wonderful to see and is testament to the fine man he was and the great example that he showed. Truly the best part on the tv show. He won't have to knock at heaven's door as they will swing wide open for him. Thank you John Schnabel. RIP

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
His wisdom of life he freely gave. His gentleness to his grandson will ever be his trademark, and his power to inspire through adversity and disappointment, his legacy. A kind soul that cared for others more than himself no longer walks the earth, but the Great Gold Field in The Sky has enriched its treasures many fold.

Thanks for the notification Hefty.

All the best,

Lanny

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Hefty1!! Truly a gentleman and wizened soul!! Condolences to Parker and the Schnabel Family!! I am certain he has found his Gold at the End of the Rainbow!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING to All!! VERDE!!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say , I would have loved to spend a couple days with this man . It would have been great too listen to his stories on Gold prospecting and life in general . I sure we all could have learned a lot from his experiencies . We have lost a great man from the mining comunity , I'm sure . He was a great man from all I've seen from the show and a true American .

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little about John Schnabel...

Schnabel was born in 1920 to a Kansas wheat farmer, who fled to Alaska after U.S. Marshals came looking for him for brewing bootleg alcohol. At age 19, Schnabel joined his father on a sawmill in Haines, Alaska. A few years later in 1941, he volunteered to serve his country after the Pearl Harbor bombing, and he served in the Air Corps until 1946. After the war, he wed Erma Dire in 1950 and the couple had five children.

Schnabel purchased the Gold Nugget Mine in Porcupine Creek, Alaska nearly 30 years ago when at age 68 he faced a health crisis. Doctors told him that he needed to remain active after undergoing a triple bypass, and he saw the mine as a way to accomplish that as well as to have a place to take his family.

11875209_1098691186827032_7620052204577703861_o.jpg

175596_197401663622660_3078107_o.jpg

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prayers for the Schnabel family especially Parker. They had a very special relationship. He was a wise and gentle soul, and will be missed!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
waddya bet the guy has a fortune in gold hidden away?

dennis 5

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2014
clements ca
Detector(s) used
tesero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It saddens me to see this thread. Every time I saw him on the show he reminded me of my grandfather who was also a fantastic miner, Looking back on my relationship with him I wished I would have paid more attention when he was mining and trying to teach me. I was always more interested in chasing frogs and swimming' I could have learned a lot more, I thought it was neat that his grandson had so much respect for him and listened when he explained the whys. You will be remembered by me. God Rest and keep you forever in the yellow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread