Groups sue to shut down all Federal grazing starting with the 1850s historical farms

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Groups sue to shut down all Federal grazing starting with the 1850's historic...

Point Reyes: Lawsuit challenges historic ranching operations at iconic park - San Jose Mercury News

"If the lawsuit is successful, he added, the coalition plans to try to reduce or remove livestock from some of the roughly 30 other national parks that allow grazing, a list that includes Death Valley, Pinnacles in San Benito County and Mojave National Preserve".

Three groups are suing the National Park Service in San Francisco District Court in hopes of shutting down the historic dairy farms at Point Reyes National Seashore. These farms have been operating since the 1850's and the park was established in 1962. The farms have a long history of responsible farming and work closely with the park service and even the local environmental groups until a group from Idaho and a couple of others one local decided to file suit.

I listened to a radio show in which one of the groups project leaders referred to the family farmers that have been there for 160 plus years as "polluting special interests" and says they are "welfare grazing" he also claims "they like to shoot elk." The nps is actually the ones that have to euthanize an occasional elk that strays into a farm as they carry a disease harmful to cattle but this group has no problem trying to gain support through shock value or labeling family farms as polluting special interests. For the record I like elk and cows more than any of these people hiding under the cover of environmental stewardship as I have spent days out there taking photos and recording video of them...

Next of note is no groups around here would lend there name to this suit in support and even the local very enviro friendly audience called in to the show and remarked on social media that it was a bad idea and that it would ruin the history and the area. The groups response was that they have 3000 local supporters and that it is part of a bigger project to remove farming in other federal areas...

How can three groups with money and lawyers start a real threat to ban all federal grazing without any actual support? If three small groups can just sue the govt force studies and closures by slandering and targeting hardworking people; then essentially destroy the history and culture of an area with little pushback or attention this speaks volumes as to how well they have this land closure game figured out. Their strategy is methodical, targeting small areas and groups getting case law, forcing studies for use in court and moving on.

I know this is off the subject of gold but I looked around and there aren't any places I could find to post this as I think it's important to other areas and maybe overlapping land concerns and am open to suggestions as to groups to share this in that may want to follow this case. I looked at farming forums real quick but didn't see this case and I'll make an acct and post this on a couple after work tonight. Also I think it's an issue that affects off-roaders, fisherman, hunters, farmers and miners to name a few as the same groups generally work on these closures.

Ran out of room on the title sorry not best title and can't edit:) Anyways the rest was obviously at PRNSeashore anyways thanks for reading. Alex

Last edited:
Upvote 0

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing to restore out there it is perfect how it is. This whole thing is because some people want to restore it to pre 1850's conditions and kick the farmers out of not just here but other parks.

I agree with other posts and it would be nice if people would look into some of these projects and groups further and I wish I had the time or resources to contribute but like most of us I'm busy working and with other life things, and not something I think I'm qualified to run even with resources/money. But a watchdog group for the industry would obviously be a great idea to make sure groups are being ethical.

I get what you are saying , but if the money went to these projects , it would not make it too there pockets and could be used in other areas that may lower taxes like the general fund . The government always moves this money around , atleast this would help to cripple them .

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, it is never mentioned that after over 150 years of grazing these land masses are in excellent condition. In such good shape that they become National Parks! The hoops that the ranchers are required to jump through would boggle your mind. The EPA, USFW, Parks Service [ the list goes on] have some ridiculous conditions and requirements.The grass on these allotments have belonged to these families long before there ever was a National Parks System.

If only the grass could grow back.....wait!!:BangHead::BangHead:

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Groups sue to shut down all Federal grazing starting with the 1850's historic...

I present to you "The Center For Biodiversity" please read, here is an excerpt from the article:
At trial, Marton showed that four key Internet photos of "Chilton's devastation" weren't even on his land, they were on a nearby plot known as "Marijuana Flat," trampled down by hundreds of cavorting greenies during a nature bash. A CBD staff member took the four "Chilton's devastation" pictures from his party campsite, which proved he knew he was lying. The jury awarded Jim Chilton $100,000 in actual damages and $500,000 in punitive damages.

CBD appealed with a bigger lawyer, Thomas Burke (no relation thank god:))of San Francisco, and argued they had a First Amendment right to lie. They lost.

Full article http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/r...-green-at-the-trial-lawyer-game/article/39089

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread