Worth running lots of this dirt?

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my best spot I've found so far out of about this much dirt
ca4a230eb60502bb4f5b34855d3680d9.jpg

I usually get this much gold. Mostly all fines, it's screened to -50. Bigger gold removed first of course.

12ecce936952d839cb787282daeeacdf.jpg

Bigger gold has been hard to find in this spot. Once I found a 1.2 gram nugget, but that was it for big stuff except the occasional cornflake sized flake, but I usually only find stuff bigger than 30 mesh- one piece every 5 or so trips there.

Is this worth chasing after, cause I kinda feel there's bigger stuff in general area somewhere. The spot used to be known for big gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is that first pic your concentrates from sluicing, or is it just a pan
from the material?

If I was getting that kind of gold in every pan I'd sit there panning all day, all night
and probably all day again...at least until my wife came looking for me and made
me go home...:occasion14:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you think there's better gold, go looking, you may be right. But first carefully write down what you know about this spot...memory is a funny thing.

OP
OP
tyeechinook

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's straight off the bank classified to -50

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah. That's a nice amount of gold for such s small amount of sand.
Are you on private property? In some places your not allowed to dig the banks.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Timers had a saying " Never leave good gold". That is good gold!

OP
OP
tyeechinook

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! It is public blm land. But here in californistan we can't run anything, in fact I get hassled by people walking the trail above the river saying using a sluice is not allowed. So I try and stay hidden behind rocks. Plus this stuff was right on bedrock. A yellowish red clay layer that I dried and had to crush it down then screen it to be able to pan it. It will just roll out of a sluice

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome! It is public blm land. But here in californistan we can't run anything, in fact I get hassled by people walking the trail above the river saying using a sluice is not allowed. So I try and stay hidden behind rocks. Plus this stuff was right on bedrock. A yellowish red clay layer that I dried and had to crush it down then screen it to be able to pan it. It will just roll out of a sluice

Cleaning bedrock.....Don't forget to clean out the cracks! Don't let the ignorant greenies intimidate you assuming that you are within the regulations.

Good luck.

OP
OP
tyeechinook

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning bedrock.....Don't forget to clean out the cracks! Don't let the ignorant greenies intimidate you assuming that you are within the regulations.

Good luck.

The best is deep in the cracks! Takes a long time to get a pan full so I usually do a pan or two and fill a bucket for panning at home. I wish I could run it in a sluice, too much clay. I can sluice the over burden though, not near as much gold in it, but sometimes it surprises me. In some overburden I've found just as good gold as on bedrock and in the cracks. In fact my only nugget was about 2 ft deep in a 4 ft deep crack.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing what you found in that pan , I would not move an inch . Thats good , Gold no matter where you are , keep digging and getting that Gold !!!!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your classifying to -50 at the bank before you sluice? Thats good gold i would figure out how to run way more and not classify as much. If your finding bigger stuff mixed in then I would stick to a 3/8 classifier.

OP
OP
tyeechinook

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm classifying to 8 mesh at the river. I pan everything I dig separate. I'll classify to -50 once I get home. I bring a bucket or two home every time. Quick way to get into shape is carry two buckets full of dirt and gear 1/2 mile back to the truck through mountain goat trails. I usually sluice or pan until I get to a few inches of bedrock. Then I take the very bottom stuff home, which usually is full of reddish or yellowish and sometimes black clay. I get the -50 good and wet, let dry and crush to powder. I've found that this way when I pan it the clay particles wash away quicker and I can pan faster.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-50 is pretty tiny gold but it will add up if you can move enough paydirt, otherwise I'd keep prospecting for something better especially if you're in an area known for good gold.

You could always go back if other areas don't pan out. There is only so much time and bigger gold is time well spent if you hit a hot spot.
Your question was "worth running lots of this dirt?" the answer is yes if your results are consistent and you run lots of it.

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping I can one day say that also... With a straight face.

No disrespect intended.
I live in Indiana and most of the Gold I recover in the state is -50

However it's all relative. In an area known to produce larger gold I would be prospecting for the larger gold.
But that's just me.
mypoke.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
tyeechinook

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went back to my spot. Brought 2 buckets back, one from about 1-1/2 ft deep and one from about 3 ft deep. Haven't gone thru it all yet, but I did pan about 2 handfuls of dirt from the 1-1/2ft deep bucket and found this...
ff7657c5458d03b457f8457a98657c2a.jpg
23496b445890142807d968a44a82a713.jpg
145d695e255f0a9d330c52d9b7658858.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread