Worth running lots of this dirt?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Worth running lots of this dirt?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2013
    206 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Worth running lots of this dirt?

Hello my best spot I've found so far out of about this much dirt

I usually get this much gold. Mostly all fines, it's screened to -50. Bigger gold removed first of course.

Bigger gold has been hard to find in this spot. Once I found a 1.2 gram nugget, but that was it for big stuff except the occasional cornflake sized flake, but I usually only find stuff bigger than 30 mesh- one piece every 5 or so trips there.

Is this worth chasing after, cause I kinda feel there's bigger stuff in general area somewhere. The spot used to be known for big gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6047 times
    Prospecting
    Is that first pic your concentrates from sluicing, or is it just a pan
    from the material?

If I was getting that kind of gold in every pan I'd sit there panning all day, all night
    and probably all day again...at least until my wife came looking for me and made
    me go home...
    russau, bobw53, djm0836 and 16 others like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10610 times
    Prospecting
    If you think there's better gold, go looking, you may be right. But first carefully write down what you know about this spot...memory is a funny thing.

Sep 2013
    206 times
    That's straight off the bank classified to -50

DizzyDigger, Aufisher and kcm like this.

MAGA

Dec 2015
    Oregon Coast
    752 times
    Prospecting
    Can you run a motor there?
    Aufisher and Goodyguy like this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Mississippi
    cheap
    616 times
    Oh yeah. That's a nice amount of gold for such s small amount of sand.
    Are you on private property? In some places your not allowed to dig the banks.
    mytimetoshine and Aufisher like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    1640 times
    Old Timers had a saying " Never leave good gold". That is good gold!

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    753 times
    An old miner's saying..Don't ever leave gold to find a better spot.

Sep 2013
    206 times
    Awesome! It is public blm land. But here in californistan we can't run anything, in fact I get hassled by people walking the trail above the river saying using a sluice is not allowed. So I try and stay hidden behind rocks. Plus this stuff was right on bedrock. A yellowish red clay layer that I dried and had to crush it down then screen it to be able to pan it. It will just roll out of a sluice

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2988 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by tyeechinook View Post
    Awesome! It is public blm land. But here in californistan we can't run anything, in fact I get hassled by people walking the trail above the river saying using a sluice is not allowed. So I try and stay hidden behind rocks. Plus this stuff was right on bedrock. A yellowish red clay layer that I dried and had to crush it down then screen it to be able to pan it. It will just roll out of a sluice

Cleaning bedrock.....Don't forget to clean out the cracks! Don't let the ignorant greenies intimidate you assuming that you are within the regulations.

Good luck.
    Aufisher likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Sep 2013
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    Cleaning bedrock.....Don't forget to clean out the cracks! Don't let the ignorant greenies intimidate you assuming that you are within the regulations.

Good luck.
    The best is deep in the cracks! Takes a long time to get a pan full so I usually do a pan or two and fill a bucket for panning at home. I wish I could run it in a sluice, too much clay. I can sluice the over burden though, not near as much gold in it, but sometimes it surprises me. In some overburden I've found just as good gold as on bedrock and in the cracks. In fact my only nugget was about 2 ft deep in a 4 ft deep crack.

us
    Scott

Dec 2015
    RI
    XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
    499 times
    Seeing what you found in that pan , I would not move an inch . Thats good , Gold no matter where you are , keep digging and getting that Gold !!!!!

us
    Treasure hunter

Jun 2008
    Northern Alabama
    Whites
    2747 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great spot! Get it all before you move!!

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11987 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Your classifying to -50 at the bank before you sluice? Thats good gold i would figure out how to run way more and not classify as much. If your finding bigger stuff mixed in then I would stick to a 3/8 classifier.

Sep 2013
    206 times
    I'm classifying to 8 mesh at the river. I pan everything I dig separate. I'll classify to -50 once I get home. I bring a bucket or two home every time. Quick way to get into shape is carry two buckets full of dirt and gear 1/2 mile back to the truck through mountain goat trails. I usually sluice or pan until I get to a few inches of bedrock. Then I take the very bottom stuff home, which usually is full of reddish or yellowish and sometimes black clay. I get the -50 good and wet, let dry and crush to powder. I've found that this way when I pan it the clay particles wash away quicker and I can pan faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links