Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree20Likes
  • 6 Post By boblemon
  • 2 Post By Asmbandits
  • 3 Post By kcm
  • 2 Post By Pyrofx
  • 1 Post By winners58
  • 2 Post By KevinInColorado
  • 2 Post By goldenIrishman
  • 1 Post By russau
  • 1 Post By Oddjob

Thread: Railroad rock

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Bob

May 2015
    Kansas city Kansas
    All Garretts
    45 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Railroad rock

Spring is trying to make it's way to Kansas but it's taking it's time. anyways. I decided to take my detectors out and hit a spot in Leavenworth Kansas where gold coins have washed up on the river banks from a ship that sank just above the bridge. It's now a park with daily fee's i opted out. But as i was headed out i had seen a big pile of railroad rocks at the crossing to the park so i stopped just to do some rock hunting. This is granite and the pile was about 25 feet around. This isn't local rock as we only have sandstone as our main rocks.I started looking around it was partly cloudy . And the sun finally broke threw. This gave me a little better view of the stones.Low and behold i found a piece of petrified wood. then i saw something sparkling and picked this piece up . I just about fell over it/s gold and real gold. I decided to check a little bit closer and found 5 more pieces with gold and a nice piece of Quartz. All done bare eyed and no detector. Next time your down by the railroad tracks check out the rocks. Never know what you/ll find. I would like to post pics but i don't have a damed clue how to.

May 2013
    The Golden State
    Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
    4838 times
    Prospecting
    Sounds like fun poking around those neck of the woods!
    I am a teacher, hydrologist, biologist and a prospector.

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    2185 times
    Id pitch a tent next to that pile and use some vacation time! Have any pics of your finds?
    KevinInColorado and Aufisher like this.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7024 times
    If the rocks are around RR tracks, be very careful. There are hefty fines in some areas for removing rock near tracks, as too much rock removed or repositioned can cause trouble for a train.

...I think I'd try to find out where the rock came from in the first place!
    russau, wildminer and Alex Burke like this.

Methodic rock washer

Jan 2016
    Needles Ca
    Goldbug 2 keene a52, GOLD HOG RIVER SLUICE, home built 6 x 60 recirc high banker, Gold cube, Miller table....and a pan or two
    45 times
    Be aware that just being around our tracks is trespassing and can get you in deep kimchee. Also the guys on the train are required to report you.
    I never thought much of it until I became a conductor. People will challenge a 30 million pound chunk of iron going 70 mph and expect it to stop on a dime . He'll it takes up about half a mile to a mile
    russau and Oddjob like this.

Jul 2012
    Holmes County Ohio
    Tesoro Lobo
    1614 times
    Sounds great, how about a pic?

Around here the RR beds are made from steel mill slag.
    Two rules in life: Don't sweat the small stuff.

It's all small stuff.

us
    Bob

May 2015
    Kansas city Kansas
    All Garretts
    45 times
    finally took the time to crush the rail road rock. I found out crushing stone wrapped in a tee shirt works but not very good. lol The stones had pyrite and gold mixed. I crushed one piece with my piers and it shattered then there was a small nugget that i did the same thing to. It just flattened out and was soft I did manage to pull out quite a bit of gold. So yall keep your eyes open and thanks for looking.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3743 times
    my Dad made a mortar and pestle from an iron pipe reducer with a plug on the bottom and a 8" of 1/2"pipe with ends to crush his rock samples
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1edVtIyS2L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	453.1 KB 
ID:	1313635. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42457-hex-bushing-galvanized-pipe-reducer-1-1-4-x-1-2npt-malleable-iron-lot-of-9-5.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	1313636. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metal-wood-table.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	1313637
    Last edited by winners58; May 15, 2016 at 11:12 PM.
    Aufisher likes this.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10511 times
    Prospecting
    Fill that 1/2" pipe with sand or, even better, lead, and cap the other end. Heavier is better.
    Aufisher and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6154 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Many of the railroad tracks in this area can give you a really great view of the geology of the area. Where they had to cut the hillsides to form the bed for the tracks can really show you a lot. Same goes for road cuts as well.

When I was living down in the other corner of the state, I heard about a short tunnel on an abandoned (rails and ties removed but the ballast was still there) rail line between Bizbee and Douglas. What makes this particular tunnel so interesting is that when they cut it, they went right through a large deposit of Calcite that reacts well to blacklight. Always wanted to go check it out but location, time and the lack of a portable UV unit at the time kept me from making the trip. This old line just happens to be in a major crossing area for drug traffickers so that was another reason to avoid it.
    Aufisher and TAKODA like this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4399 times
    Those RR gravels are called Trap Rock . I used to haul it years ago............. a lot of years ago a lot more than id like to think about!
    Clay Diggins likes this.

ca
    Jul 2014
    Port Perry, Ontario
    Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
    1113 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great story. Crushing rock in an old shirt is not very effective as the cloth smooches. Nice that you extracted some nuggets! The suggestion to find out where the rock originated is a good one. Sounds like their crush might be from mine tailings.
    See my YouTube channel for amateur and fun videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz...OeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Aug 2012
    RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
    8953 times
    Congrats on your find; but be very careful it is not just a legal issue but also a safety issue. Sort of like MDing at the shooting range. No one here wants to here a bad story based on treasure, we all love a good find and are happy for each other but we do not need a fellow hunter getting hurt or banged up over it.

Just be careful.
    stefen likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    I'm not an Idiot Whisperer. I can't help you any further with the math.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links