Railroad rock

boblemon

May 14, 2015
Kansas city Kansas
Detector(s) used
All Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spring is trying to make it's way to Kansas but it's taking it's time. anyways. I decided to take my detectors out and hit a spot in Leavenworth Kansas where gold coins have washed up on the river banks from a ship that sank just above the bridge. It's now a park with daily fee's i opted out. But as i was headed out i had seen a big pile of railroad rocks at the crossing to the park so i stopped just to do some rock hunting. This is granite and the pile was about 25 feet around. This isn't local rock as we only have sandstone as our main rocks.I started looking around it was partly cloudy . And the sun finally broke threw. This gave me a little better view of the stones.Low and behold i found a piece of petrified wood. then i saw something sparkling and picked this piece up . I just about fell over it/s gold and real gold. I decided to check a little bit closer and found 5 more pieces with gold and a nice piece of Quartz. All done bare eyed and no detector. Next time your down by the railroad tracks check out the rocks. Never know what you/ll find. I would like to post pics but i don't have a damed clue how to.:headbang:

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like fun poking around those neck of the woods!

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id pitch a tent next to that pile and use some vacation time! Have any pics of your finds?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If the rocks are around RR tracks, be very careful. There are hefty fines in some areas for removing rock near tracks, as too much rock removed or repositioned can cause trouble for a train.

...I think I'd try to find out where the rock came from in the first place! :laughing7:

Pyrofx

Jan 7, 2016
Needles Ca
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2 keene a52, GOLD HOG RIVER SLUICE, home built 6 x 60 recirc high banker, Gold cube, Miller table....and a pan or two
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be aware that just being around our tracks is trespassing and can get you in deep kimchee. Also the guys on the train are required to report you.
I never thought much of it until I became a conductor. People will challenge a 30 million pound chunk of iron going 70 mph and expect it to stop on a dime . He'll it takes up about half a mile to a mile

OP
OP
B

boblemon

May 14, 2015
Kansas city Kansas
Detector(s) used
All Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finally took the time to crush the rail road rock. I found out crushing stone wrapped in a tee shirt works but not very good. lol The stones had pyrite and gold mixed. I crushed one piece with my piers and it shattered then there was a small nugget that i did the same thing to. It just flattened out and was soft I did manage to pull out quite a bit of gold. So yall keep your eyes open and thanks for looking.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my Dad made a mortar and pestle from an iron pipe reducer with a plug on the bottom and a 8" of 1/2"pipe with ends to crush his rock samples
A1edVtIyS2L._SL1500_.jpg . 42457-hex-bushing-galvanized-pipe-reducer-1-1-4-x-1-2npt-malleable-iron-lot-of-9-5.jpg . metal-wood-table.jpg

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fill that 1/2" pipe with sand or, even better, lead, and cap the other end. Heavier is better.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Many of the railroad tracks in this area can give you a really great view of the geology of the area. Where they had to cut the hillsides to form the bed for the tracks can really show you a lot. Same goes for road cuts as well.

When I was living down in the other corner of the state, I heard about a short tunnel on an abandoned (rails and ties removed but the ballast was still there) rail line between Bizbee and Douglas. What makes this particular tunnel so interesting is that when they cut it, they went right through a large deposit of Calcite that reacts well to blacklight. Always wanted to go check it out but location, time and the lack of a portable UV unit at the time kept me from making the trip. This old line just happens to be in a major crossing area for drug traffickers so that was another reason to avoid it.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story. Crushing rock in an old shirt is not very effective as the cloth smooches. Nice that you extracted some nuggets! The suggestion to find out where the rock originated is a good one. Sounds like their crush might be from mine tailings.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your find; but be very careful it is not just a legal issue but also a safety issue. Sort of like MDing at the shooting range. No one here wants to here a bad story based on treasure, we all love a good find and are happy for each other but we do not need a fellow hunter getting hurt or banged up over it.

Just be careful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread