The importance of varying zones. Pics

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years we have really come to understand the importance of "varying exchange and capture zones" in gold mining.
Watching 1000's of controlled runs, doing flow model testing, Plexiglas sluices, commercial op work, flow studying, etc.
FAILURE........ is often the best teacher...

Basically......in simple terms....some things just like to hide in different places.
Some has to do with settling velocity and hydraulic equivalence, but a great deal of this is greatly impacted by the particles hydrodynamic profile (shape) and size.
Understanding that making SPACE and zones for "different types, size and shapes of gold" is important.
You can also PREVENT large objects from settling in certain areas as well by limiting the "space" and "hiding area" which is important
in areas with lots of "heavies".

The pics below are after run cons through the Multi Sluice.
Thought it was cool to see the varying areas and the concentration of lead shot on that one line.
Not a real "scientific" post.... more so a fun observation.
Doc

1talonbig.jpg

1talonmed.jpg

1talonsmall.jpg

Out of that same one mat space.

1talonfines.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That 1st picture is worth 1000 words as it kind of explains it all.....I'd love to get even one of those grooves worth of gold this year :icon_scratch:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Doc. Just curious. How much dirt was run to recover that and how much gold was recovered? (don't really care if it was a "controlled" sample, just curious.) My LeTrap excels at recovery but does load up a bit quicker than I'd like. If I had a decent place to work, a BGT and your sluice would be all I ever wanted. Well...and dredge of course.

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Doc. Just curious. How much dirt was run to recover that and how much gold was recovered? (don't really care if it was a "controlled" sample, just curious.) My LeTrap excels at recovery but does load up a bit quicker than I'd like. If I had a decent place to work, a BGT and your sluice would be all I ever wanted. Well...and dredge of course.

That was from the Multi Sluice running dredge cons.
It was a gallon of cons run through in about 5 minutes and takes that down to about 1/2 - 1 cup.
That is step #1
Then we go to step #2 which is the washer mat, a stripping step, designed to remove black sands.
Takes the 1 cup down to about 1-2 tablespoons.
2 minutes.

washer338888.jpg

So it's not really a good measure of "an actual run"

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would really have liked to place my Goldwell sluice on the tailings end of his super duper gizmo hyper-reburbulated cross bios backflow filter sluice. But I wonder how many times did they run the same dirt through?

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes when people make no sense it's best not to say anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread