Diverting Water To Lower Prospecting Hole Water Level

Goldgrabber

Mar 24, 2015
England, UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a video I made on day 4 of my gold prospecting trip to Wanlockhead, Scotland in March 2016. In this video I show how we have managed to divert the river water away from the hole we're working, which allowed the water level to drop by over 30cm (1ft), allowing us to work the hole a lot easier. especially for my friend who's waders failed so he couldn't stand in very deep water. We went prepared ready to make this diversion as we had a plan of where we were going to work and how to work it and having worked the hole previously, we knew we would need some kind of diversion for the water if we stood any chance of seeing bedrock at the bottom of the hole. Also in the video is a y lovely picker I saw at the top of my gold sluice flare along with pictures of what I picked out of my sluice for the day. I hope you like the video and if you do, please feel free to like, comment and share it, thanks :D

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
you may be close to the source because of the lack of well rounded rock (some bigger boulders were rounded) and the shape of that piece of gold.

OP
OP
Goldgrabber

Goldgrabber

Mar 24, 2015
England, UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
people were trying to find the source at this place since 1600's with minimal luck but the higher you go, the chunkier the gold seems to be

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some nice looking cracks in those rocks!

OP
OP
Goldgrabber

Goldgrabber

Mar 24, 2015
England, UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah higher can be better at times, but no "source rock" has ever been found here although it's been searched for at times over the hundreds of years this place has been worked over

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah higher can be better at times, but no "source rock" has ever been found here although it's been searched for at times over the hundreds of years this place has been worked over

Yeah but I'd bet they didn't have everyone here rooting for you and willing to help. :thumbsup: That hole is getting replenished from something that is upstream and obviously close and well hidden. Keep sampling upstream till you run out of pickers then work your're way back, dig in and find that sum b*tch. Good luck! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread