Micro location

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have found some small amounts of gold and realize where gravel drops out gold does too. I am wondering more about the location at the location. I have found gravel bars and made some observations, one part of the bar usually closer to the bank has a bunch of gravel, maybe a foot depending on the spot, then closer to where the current is there gets to be less gravel, you stick your shovel in and there's only a tiny bit until you hit a rock hard layer of clay. There's also the small amount of gravel in the strong current itself, I mean the little rapids that are hard to even walk in without getting swept away, is it worth it to try to get material fro the fast moving water? Bigger rocks mean larger gold? Is it worth it breaking my foot shoveling trying to get some of that hard clay? Just some things I always wonder when I am out there. Alright, I am heading out to a new spot with the pro pan!!

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Usually the best gold will be at the upstream end of the bar. Usually with the larger gravel/cobble.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Faster water also usually means more hazard to the prospector. Remember that no gold is worth getting hurt for! Keep it safe out there and remember to work smarter, not harder and you'll be digging for many years to come. You might want to consider building up a small wing dam to divert the rushing water around the area you want to try. A future high water event will usually remove any temporary dams you might make.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a northern WI helicopter crash, the best thing you could do to get found is take the gill net in the survival kit and put it across a trout stream. The DNR will find you VERY fast and fine the crap out of you!

I'd imagine the same for any dam.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that spot I tried looked awesome, boulders, fast water, gravel but alas no gold, didn't matter where I tried. There was only a small amount of gravel before your shovel hit the really hard stuff, turned out to be a blessing in disguise though because I found a sweet spot right at the end of the day about 15 miles from the first spot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread