First outing in a long while

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Got out for my first time not only this year, but in months. It was very refreshing to finally get to where the gold is at instead of day dreaming during class. Woke up at 4:30 and set out around 5:15ish in the morning. Once arrived the first thin I noticed was how much more water there was, the South Fork American River that is. There was so much in fact that it looked more like a lake rather than a river.

With almost no flow it instantly made me realize my bazooka will be useless with no flow, nonetheless that just meant my pan would do the work. After hiking for only a short time and navigating through the boulders I decided to stop and set out for a spot to work.

The first half of my day was really miserable, I sneezed more times than I could count, allergies did a number on me, and I couldn't find a speck of gold! I searched many spots and only found 3 small specks. I tested spot after spot and it showed nothing. It was discouraging to see nothin at the bottom of the pan.

Despite being skunked the first half of the day I managed to discover some interesting varieties in the dirt I was handling. Most of the dirt was in locations that had a steep slope. I had read earlier on the forum that with the right amount of flow it would mean total bed failure with a slope steeper that 22 degrees. Hence the reason why there was no gold.

With that knowledge in mind I figured that maybe gold would get trapped in more crevice like slopes. I found a decent spot. I moved a few rocks and dirt. It seemed to be good but in fact held no gold. It did however carry a generous amount of clay which was painful to try to get out. It still held no gold either. After mid day I just wanted to SEE some gold. I searched around until I found this little spot by the water. This spot had noticeable signs that water rushed down it during the rain and it had a close slope to 22 degrees. It also had rocks that were larger than my fist which was another indicator. I did a pan and found a few colors, mostly fine, but there was a small little piece each pan full.

It was about 4-6 inches down when more of this clay layer started to show up. I tested it to see if any gold was in it, and there was none, only a sprinkle of black sand too. Too say the least my production was limited. My mom started to get tired and we called it around 2:30. I had just started to get some good gold too, oh well.

Great day to go out, hope everyone is getting some gold. First pic shows a spot I started at, it gave me nothing. The other pic shows this red clay that kept showing up, has anyone else encountered this kind of clay before? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460242346.776138.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460242371.904585.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460242388.416305.jpg

Upvote 0

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought about going out today but the rain held me back

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for my first time not only this year, but in months. It was very refreshing to finally get to where the gold is at instead of day dreaming during class. Woke up at 4:30 and set out around 5:15ish in the morning. Once arrived the first thin I noticed was how much more water there was, the South Fork American River that is. There was so much in fact that it looked more like a lake rather than a river.

With almost no flow it instantly made me realize my bazooka will be useless with no flow, nonetheless that just meant my pan would do the work. After hiking for only a short time and navigating through the boulders I decided to stop and set out for a spot to work.

The first half of my day was really miserable, I sneezed more times than I could count, allergies did a number on me, and I couldn't find a speck of gold! I searched many spots and only found 3 small specks. I tested spot after spot and it showed nothing. It was discouraging to see nothin at the bottom of the pan.

Despite being skunked the first half of the day I managed to discover some interesting varieties in the dirt I was handling. Most of the dirt was in locations that had a steep slope. I had read earlier on the forum that with the right amount of flow it would mean total bed failure with a slope steeper that 22 degrees. Hence the reason why there was no gold.

With that knowledge in mind I figured that maybe gold would get trapped in more crevice like slopes. I found a decent spot. I moved a few rocks and dirt. It seemed to be good but in fact held no gold. It did however carry a generous amount of clay which was painful to try to get out. It still held no gold either. After mid day I just wanted to SEE some gold. I searched around until I found this little spot by the water. This spot had noticeable signs that water rushed down it during the rain and it had a close slope to 22 degrees. It also had rocks that were larger than my fist which was another indicator. I did a pan and found a few colors, mostly fine, but there was a small little piece each pan full.

It was about 4-6 inches down when more of this clay layer started to show up. I tested it to see if any gold was in it, and there was none, only a sprinkle of black sand too. Too say the least my production was limited. My mom started to get tired and we called it around 2:30. I had just started to get some good gold too, oh well.

Great day to go out, hope everyone is getting some gold. First pic shows a spot I started at, it gave me nothing. The other pic shows this red clay that kept showing up, has anyone else encountered this kind of clay before? View attachment 1297410
View attachment 1297411 View attachment 1297412

The water is just to high at that spot right now. But...you still can get some gold, as you have proven. Good job.

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like you were near the salmon falls bridge, maybe . The lake has backed up in the canyon for about 2 miles. Very difficult to hike the high bank to get to flowing river. Another area to get to the river is off 49 at greenhorn Blm access parking between pilot hill and Coloma.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a low flow shot attachment-10.jpeg

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's another low flow shot

IMG_3716.JPG

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here the water was very low and running sideways. Sorry the pic flipped and I have no idea of how to fix it.

IMG_4401 - Copy.JPG

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jeff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread