goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this article in the Kingman Daily Miner this morning. Looks like Obummer is trying to lock up even more good mining areas without a thought about miners and other users of PUBLIC lands. Yet another monument to NOTHING and a blatant land grab by the feds. Brought to you by the Sierra Club....Again!!!!

Grand Canyon Monument: Preserving Wilderness or a Naked Land Grab? - Kingman Daily Miner - Kingman, Arizona

People in the areas are not happy about this grab at all and are making their voices heard. All Arizona miners and users of public lands need to sound off and let the government know that we will not stand for yet another theft of our public lands.

Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
designated;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:National_Monuments_designated_by_Barack_Obama
next likely ones;
12 most likely places Obama may make a national monument | The Salt Lake Tribune
(edit)oop's 2014 story two of these have already been designated.

with out getting into politics too much
the one's that scare me the most is like when Sally Jewell spoke at the malheur national refuge
she said we do give back lands to local control, we transferred lands back to "conservation trust's"
IMHO the mindset is just way off in left field. :BangHead:

Holy krap! Thanks for the info winner58.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
and when they get the pay-for-view telescopes installed John, they will charge the public for each picture they take from a camera or a cell phone.......and require a PERMIT to operate the telescopes. buncha losers.....all of them.

And since you're in OR, I know of what you speak and that you are NOT making that up.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you guys can make enough noise to stop this. Get with 4X4 clubs ,hunters,hikers, campers ,birdwatchers,rock hounds, dirtbikers anybody that enjoys the land. Have you ever checked into the salaries that the board of directors of the Sierra Club and others ? Not a bad caper those guys and gals have got going. Good Luck fellers !!

Yeah Rod, the salaries of those people is flat out insane! For being "Not for Profit" groups, they sure seem to be making a damned good living. Remember the days when people started these groups and did the work for free? Once they learned the "Sue and Settle" tactic all of their good intentions went right down the drain. They've got the public donating to their cause even though the cause is no longer their main goal. Then they get grubberment money on top of everything else. Way to many "Sheeple" out there that refuse to pull the wool from over their eyes and see what's really going on. Miners have borne the brunt of their onslaught over the years, but all other users of the public lands are lined up and ready to put their collective heads on the chopping block.

I like to think that I'm a logical person and I try to keep informed on a wide range of subjects. I AM concerned about the environment, taking care of the lands and waters but I'm also wise enough to know that we need to mine to keep the human race supplied in the materials needed to keep everything running. I would estimate that 98-99% of miners run a clean operation. (There's always a few idiots in every group) Given the laws of this country we really don't have much of a choice. Between EPA, BLM and every other alphabet government agency breathing down our collective necks, mining has become one of the hardest businesses to get off the ground. Add the misguided opposition from the environmental groups and it's close to impossible to get even a medium sized operation up and running without having to spend tons of money and many years going thru the permitting process that has to be gone thru before you can even start moving and processing materials at any kind of scale.

Another BIG problem we have in this country is the NIMBY mind set of the general population. Sure they want their computers, their cars, their cell phones but they don't want to live next to a mine that produces the materials needed to make these items. Even worse, you have mines that have been operating for years and then people move in next to them and complain about the mine. To me they are the worst kind of people. They KNEW that the mine was there BEFORE they moved into the area and yet they have the audacity to sit there and whine about the operation that was there first.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 63bkpkr .Some dimwits think of wolves as feral German Shepherds. The wolves they introduced [not RE-introduced] in Id. can easily weigh over 150 lbs. There are an estimated 150 PACKS of wolves In Id alone. It takes a lot of killing to support one of those things.2 weeks ago a pack killed 17 elk in Yellowstone for fun!

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oops! I'm not condoning illegal activity, but it is a common saying in wolf land along with the three s'es. ( shoot, shovel and shutup.) I witnessed a pack on an elk kill last fall and it is nothing you want to see close to home or near people. I predict more problems before it is all over.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wolves are pretty scary sounding but I've always read that they tend to leave humans alone, like bears most of the time, unless you mess with them of course.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I "STILL" trust wolves more than politicians!!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a good one. All the beaches around here charge $7 to park and the state is upset as they want in on this racket, their new study shows they could be making good money the county is already making.

So the state of Ca is proposing (and will succeed trust me) $8 day $3 an hr parking to go to "their" beaches. The County says this is wrong as it limits access but they already charge $7 at their beaches! Ironic right? The State says it is 3million short on providing whatever services they provide in this area as obviously beaches cost around a million a mile to protect and service.

This is a very wealthy area and I just see it as a keep the riff raff out and make some money plan. But don't worry poor people you can file for financial assistance program for a cheaper beach permit! Seriously they plan to offer this!

This is not what the beaches were meant to be. They are not for budget shortfalls and this stupid over management with profit in mind, they are public property. Personally I'm trying to get out of Ca but I really feel sorry for people in this state as they lose every last bit of public access land.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/5477677-181/county-park-seeks-management-of?artslide=1

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a good one. All the beaches around here charge $7 to park and the state is upset as they want in on this racket, their new study shows they could be making good money the county is already making.

So the state of Ca is proposing (and will succeed trust me) $8 day $3 an hr parking to go to "their" beaches. The County says this is wrong as it limits access but they already charge $7 at their beaches! Ironic right? The State says it is 3million short on providing whatever services they provide in this area as obviously beaches cost around a million a mile to protect and service.

This is a very wealthy area and I just see it as a keep the riff raff out and make some money plan. But don't worry poor people you can file for financial assistance program for a cheaper beach permit! Seriously they plan to offer this!

This is not what the beaches were meant to be. They are not for budget shortfalls and this stupid over management with profit in mind, they are public property. Personally I'm trying to get out of Ca but I really feel sorry for people in this state as they lose every last bit of public access land.

County park seeks management of Bodega Head to thwart state fees | The Press Democrat

Sounds like you live around Corona Del Mar. There's ways around this! We used to park at the bus station at Fascist Island (Fashion Island) since they had OCTD cops there so your car was safe. $1.25 bus ride to Laguna or Horse Pastures using your transfer to get back. Cars in the beach parking were getting broken into by the dozens every day. The OC Sheriffs did little to nothing to get it stopped. Want to go to Newport by the pier? The parking lot there was charging $1.50 a half hour. Not to mention spending 2 - 3 + hours in traffic & trying almost in vain to find a parking space. Work around? Park in Costa Mesa, ride your bike down Newport Blvd. or the bike trail along Santa Ana river. Travel time 20 min.+/- parking $0.0 (Not counting time spent on jeering your friends stuck in traffic. You have to really think out of the box & not be lazy in California or you'll go broke & starve.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree but why not just leave Ca? I work very hard full time I'd rather not ride my non existent bike to the beach on my day off. If people want to adapt to this garbage I wish them the best. Personally I am saddled with constant parking tickets at work that eat up any expendable income I may have had to pay for beach parking... I can read the writing on the wall and I'm not a genius but I'm not dumb enough to live here anymore:)

I have a diatribe I wrote about my parking at work written from an old time miners perspective I've always felt was too weird to post but I'll post it in a second let me find it:)

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here it is don't take this post to seriously, mostly I like to tease my co-workers and make them see injustice by offering a historical perspective on things. Imagine if old timers had to move their horse every 40 minutes or the sheriff would take it...

Marin County Mining Journal.

Day 146 at the Marin gold camps.. Most the poor miners like myself in the area have stopped searching for gold and taken jobs at restaurants bars and grocery outfitters.

The outfitter I work at caters to the rich mine owners of the area. They have amazing carriages by the name of Tesla and 4wd Mercedes for getting their kids to school in the harsh weather conditions here.

The mine owners often refer to a place named Tahoe to the east where I assume they dig great riches as the most common question or conversation is asking about the persons last visit to this area. I will research the geology and report back.

The mine owner where I work and the patron mine owners have a reserved parking system that allows easy access to mining supplies. However fellow poor miners and I are told to park on the street or buy a permit few can afford.

Unfortunately this leads to the sheriff issuing a disproportionate amount of tickets to myself and my fellow miners mostly due to a 40 minute restriction on parking ones carriage. If a miner runs 20 days late registering their carriage the sheriff often takes it through something called a "tow company".

I recently had to help a co-miner/friend retrieve his carriage in this instance. It turns out if you give the tow company, the department of horse and carriages and sheriff money they will return the carriage to the miner.

Sadly the miners in this situation often don't have the money to pay the fines considering they didn't have the money to pay the registration in the month it was due.

Sources at the tow company relayed to me that they get to keep 30-40% of miners carriages given to them by the sheriff so they are doing well according to their accounts, a real goldmine by their own admission.

Most the mine owners that shop at the outfitters assume the miners make enough money to survive and nobody would probably suspect the mine workers go to food banks and deal with so many financial and emotional strains. The mine owners often brag on something called the "internet" (I can't afford the "Internet" at home but I did confirm claim this using a phone my family provides for my communication) that that they donate millions to charity.

I have been adamantly fighting for better wages, health coverage and safer working conditions for myself and my fellow miners but the mine owners have instilled great fear in the average miner and essentially I am forced to act alone.

I have gone on strike twice with successful results with nobody else striking with me. The dangerous working conditions in both cases were fixed the next day. Although my personal requests for higher wages in the mine have been rebutted 3 times in 5 months I believe I have raised awareness among fellow miners and management on the subject. I even received a peace offering this week from the mine owners called a "bonus" which in return I may use a portion of the money to get a haircut as a sign of respect for the olive branch they extended. Also to show I may be friendlier and less of a thorn in their side as my and other miners financial needs are met.

Sorry for the thread jack Golden.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Alex, that's hilarious!! Thanks for sharing. ...Guess I need not ask if you're getting excited yet?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haha thank you Keith, sadly I haven't been able to secure my escape to Alaska although I always stay excited and dreams keep me motivated in everyday life. I'm obviously available if someone wants to adopt me:)

In the mean time I'll continue to try and plan a way to escape. A California refugee camp of sorts? I could invite other refugees:)

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he wants all these "monuments" before he leaves office just in case one will eventually be named after him for it. As John would say...sic sic sic

Why are they making seemingly useless land grabs? Water.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Water is what they'd like you to think. Mostly from what I've learned & seen it's about control. Think, cattle & sheep are a lot easier to herd if they're fenced. You don't have to chase strays as far.

Works the same with people. Herd everyone to cities and keep them there. ...Not this fella!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree but why not just leave Ca? I work very hard full time I'd rather not ride my non existent bike to the beach on my day off. If people want to adapt to this garbage I wish them the best. Personally I am saddled with constant parking tickets at work that eat up any expendable income I may have had to pay for beach parking... I can read the writing on the wall and I'm not a genius but I'm not dumb enough to live here anymore:)

I have a diatribe I wrote about my parking at work written from an old time miners perspective I've always felt was too weird to post but I'll post it in a second let me find it:)

You make riding a bike sound like a bad thing.:tongue3: I moved from California when I started feeling it was getting too political & expensive. Example - 1 Bedroom apt in Orange, not so hot area terrible traffic on the 55 most anytime of the day for $995 a month!?!? Can't even fathom what those places rent for these days Maybe $11 - $1200?:icon_scratch: I was born & raised in SoCal, so have seen over 55 years of change in California, 90% of them bad. Sad when you think about it. Move to Denver, rent to buy a 3 bedroom house with a garage basement & storage cellar on a large lot for $800 a month. For what you pay in rent for a year in Orange County will make a decent down on a place in Nevada (outside of Vegas)! Pocketful's of parking cites? Have you considered talking to your employer about help with this? Maybe they can help with it if you're a valued employee...... Right now when I start feeling like Things are getting tough or I really need a good giggle I take a trip to California to listen to listen to my friends whine and sit in traffic, and giggle all the way home.

A real crack up for me in Colorado was talking to a few born & raised there oldsters about the traffic in Denver. I told them a traffic jam pon the freeway wasn't having to slow to 20mph, a traffic jam was sitting on the 405 moving 18 inches every 5 minutes or so. Yup, every jaw dropped!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah Boogieman I agree sorry to sound so anti biking lol. I feel the same way as you do, the traffic, rents, cost of living is all way to high for me and that was my point I guess.

My employer doesn't care too much but are sympathetic somewhat lol. I tell them I get tickets and rant a little when I get a ticket sometimes lightheartedly but it's part of the deal living around here and people just accept these things.

I also don't really blame my employer as they don't control the city parking ordinances surrounding the business and don't feel they should have to build a parking garage for me or my co-workers. I just like to point out examples of the rules and regs that make it hard to want to stick around here in the SF Bay Area as its not like this other places as you and many others know.

Almost everything here is fenced and fee based. I drive 20minutes to get to a photography spot that doesn't charge to park and hike, all the good spots close to me all have iron rangers to collect day use fees or require a permit from the water district to use the trails. Never mind actual outdoor uses you can barely hike around here anymore.

I actually find it sad but at the same time I can relate to how visits to Ca must make you laugh. I think if I don't try to keep a sense of humor about these things they bother me too much so I try to look at the irony and humor in it. I hopefully won't live here forever but while I do I'll probably continue to rant a little and convey what it's like here. The main point of the thread shouldn't be lost though the original post is far more important as monuments are far worse than the water district or beach grabs around here, although they sometimes cross paths though like in the Point Reyes ranching lawsuit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread