How to sell?

Ams721

Greenie
Apr 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So IV managed to come across a nice little gold catch. Small flakes mixed with tiny pickers, but now what? I mean I can't just walk up to a gold buyer with small flakes and pickers, could i? The weight is there but would they even accept the gold in this way? Or would they want it melted down into a nugget? Anyone have any advice as to how they sold gold before?

Upvote 0

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's start with where are you located?

ratled

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth more as placer above 30 mesh. Under that you'll be lucky to get 80% of spot. Not much more than that for the stuff that's from 30 mesh to say dwt nuggets. Your highest margin will be on ebay. you'll get better % when you start selling more than an ounce at a time to someone you build a relationship with.. Salting bags of paydirt and clever retail marketing can get you well above spot price and big pieces. But the sells will be more sporadic.

if your gonna melt do it via a known refiner. You will get proof of purity for future resale. making your own nuggets is going to narrow your buyer base.

OP
OP
A

Ams721

Greenie
Apr 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ratled Massachusetts usa

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Midwest Refineries give's 95% of spot of whatever pure gold that you send in. Also there is no minimum, the last time that I talked to them anything under 10oz. they test it and pay you. 10 oz. or more they'll refine it as one job. When I say no minimum, they're serious. A friend sent in a thin little gold band that she found at a garage sale for $5, and they gave her $50 for it. I sent in a bunch of old, beat-up silver flatware when silver was $32 an ounce, and got a check for $3600. A local coin shop wanted to give me $200 for it. The percentage went up 2% for silver and gold since the last time I sent anything in, they give more back than anybody else. You can also take payment as a check, gold or silver rounds or bars, or a combo of both.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is about much gold in Connecticut as in #1. Now it is time to go out west and search for gold. Maybe I have my own show.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Midwest Refineries give's 95% of spot of whatever pure gold that you send in. Also there is no minimum, the last time that I talked to them anything under 10oz. they test it and pay you. 10 oz. or more they'll refine it as one job. When I say no minimum, they're serious. A friend sent in a thin little gold band that she found at a garage sale for $5, and they gave her $50 for it. I sent in a bunch of old, beat-up silver flatware when silver was $32 an ounce, and got a check for $3600. A local coin shop wanted to give me $200 for it. The percentage went up 2% for silver and gold since the last time I sent anything in, they give more back than anybody else. You can also take payment as a check, gold or silver rounds or bars, or a combo of both.

That's the % after refining, right?

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was offered 80% of spot at a jeweler, however they said it was based of 80% purity for a total of 0.64 spot. I passed for sure!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
We use aragold.com. They pay 98% of spot or more.

We get 99% but we always send 50 or more ounces. They have always been honest with us. I think there may be a minimum of one ounce? We also refine our gold before sending it to ara. Silver and other metals are retained in the flux/glass. In the winter the boys crush the glass and run it thru our systems to get the other metals.

You usually get more than spot at ebay but ebay and paypal fees are a little over 13% so you Usually wind up with less than spot.

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the % after refining, right?

Yes, whatever amount of pure gold, silver, platinum is what you're paid the percentage on. They test anything under 10 oz. and make you an offer, if you don't like it they'll send your metal back to you. 10 oz. or more they just refine it and pay you 95% of the value of the gold, silver they pay you 90%. Now, I haven't talked to them in a while, so the 10 oz. threshold might have gone up or down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions