How deep should I go?

alarmstudio

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2011
We have been panning/ sluicing a dried out riverbed for the last few days, and it's been quite good. Plenty of colours on the top so we started digging down. Around 4 feet down we got some lovely baby nuggets, about one third of a gram. We went deeper still and got very little, it's like the gold streak stopped. There is no sign of bed rock yet, so I am wondering is it worth spending a few more days digging deeper????? Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take it down to bedrock and vacuum out those cracks!

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed....... go ALL THE WAY DOWN...
Layers will vary all the way down and each one represents 100's or even 1000's of years history.
However... time STOPS at bedrock and "usually" holds the best results.
Consider bedrock the "end of history" and it makes sense.
Doc

OP
OP
A

alarmstudio

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2011
Thanks for the advice everyone, I guess it's time to do some stretches and start digging! I have no idea how deep the bedrock is, it could be another 5 feet down!!! Will keep everyone posted with the results

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep in mind that there may not always be more goodies the farther down you go. Have been lots of reports of folks going through a false bedrock (clay layer) only to find no gold. Sounds like you're in an area with more chunky gold, so you'll probably do well to keep digging.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Not only clean out the bedrock crevices,but break them open.Also you should scratch around the bedrock for tiny and smaller crevices that may be covered with clay or mud.

OP
OP
A

alarmstudio

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2011
Hopefully I will be able to find bedrock, we haven't seen any exposed in the area, so it could be quite deep!!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hopefully I will be able to find bedrock, we haven't seen any exposed in the area, so it could be quite deep!!

It is hard to leave an area with known gold but it might be worthwhile to at least test around some bedrock outcroppings on the adjacent hillsides if there are any. If the valley is broad enough there may be another stream channel(s) or elevated bench deposits closer to bedrock that are currently unexposed but still productive.

Good luck.

Last edited:

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro

That was going to be my question, is there any exposed in the area? Since youve answered that, I might go a couple of feet deeper and if nothing, I would concentrate on the layer you found the pickers in. Try to determine the direction and follow it. Good Luck.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A defined 4" thick pay layer might produce far more gold than digging an unknown depth to bedrock (which may or may not be suitable for catching gold).
That is one of the reasons the old timers only surfaced mined some areas.
It is entirely possible that the bed load was blown out during a flood event long ago and it is fairly barren down there.
Or it may be littered with large nuggets...

OP
OP
A

alarmstudio

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2011
Going back tomorrow, (with my long shovel) and try dig another 2 foot down! Hopefully we'll get something worthwhile! Will post the results ⛏��

allenknight555

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your finding small pickers I
would dig to the bottom just to be sure.if its barren just work that layer and test left and right to see what's paying the best. Check any draws and gulches up stream and maybe find the source.

Sent from my LGUK410 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

alarmstudio

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2011
Went back again today and went only a few inches deeper and got some pickers and a beautiful half gram nugget of good Irish Gold. I am hitting yellow hard pack clay which the miners hammer is only breaking small bits off. The stream runs from the edge of a turf bog and the mountain is only a quarter of a mile away. The stream seems to originate from there. There are three more streams nearby and all carry powder gold near the surface. As one reply said I should check out rocky areas at base of mountain. Thanks again for your advice.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back again today and went only a few inches deeper and got some pickers and a beautiful half gram nugget of good Irish Gold. I am hitting yellow hard pack clay which the miners hammer is only breaking small bits off. The stream runs from the edge of a turf bog and the mountain is only a quarter of a mile away. The stream seems to originate from there. There are three more streams nearby and all carry powder gold near the surface. As one reply said I should check out rocky areas at base of mountain. Thanks again for your advice.

Bravo................
Dig deep my friend... dig deep.
:)

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I have to say it, but yes, All The Way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions