Stay safe out there

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They just pulled another body from the Smith...third in 4 months at the same spot. The car went in, it was raining, the recovery diver nearly got swept away when the river suddenly surged...so yeah. Day or two later they got vehicle/occupant out. Not a way I would want to go but speeds too fast for conditions seems to have been a contributing factor. Respect.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Used to do water rescues - not a fun job! Too many knuckleheads that fail to realize they cannot breathe under water, or that their tires have the same traction on wet roads as on dry.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing to me , That people think they can always beat Mother Nature , at her worst , Mother Nature always wins , when people let their gard down , or worse do something really stupid . There is always another day , don't take a chance , and leave loved ones behind . No Gold ,fish or anything is worth a life .

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the fellows I showed Green Valley to took in another fella and the fella decided to try April Trout Season Opener by himself. His body was found down river several months later.

Somewhere in the 70's I was down Euchre Bar trail and flagged some rafters over to the side to talk with them. A 4 man raft with 4 guys in it and a two man raft with guy & gal in it. The water was clear, cold, fast and too high. I suggested they hike back out. The guy & gal did. About 4 weeks later when the conditions were better we put in at the same location. Down in Lovers Leap Gorge we found their raft 'warped' around a rock with some gear still in it. Never heard if they all made it out safe, they were not that far from Pickering Bar.

It is a beautiful place we work/play in, at times we forget just how dangerous it can be............63bkpkr

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Worked mountain SAR in South Dakota, part of our extra duties as Air Force SAR groups. you would be surprised the situations people put themselves into. Always think safety first!! no gem or gold is worth your life.

my absolute favorite rescue had no bad results.... but we had to extract a very very large woman who thought she could rock climb. Took hours to get that big woman off the cliff. How that 300 pound girl made it up that high on the mountain still gives me laughs!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we've all tried to fool Mother Nature at one time or another. Myself included we all need to stay safe! All it takes is one slippery rock! Yes people do some dumb stuff seen it all too often here in NH.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we've all tried to fool Mother Nature at one time or another. Myself included we all need to stay safe! All it takes is one slippery rock! Yes people do some dumb stuff seen it all too often here in NH.
I know what you mean, nh.nugget. The White Mountains have claimed their share of souls over the years. But boy are they beautiful...

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I lost on of my friends on MT. Washington. He was an owner of a local pizza shop that we all hung out at as kids. Every year he would hike up the Cog Railway and deliver pizza's to the people at the observatory one year he got caught in a storm. They found him sitting at one of the supports for the railway frozen. Pizza's beside him.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Face it here guys, EVERY type of terrain has its dangers at times. A sudden storm, high water, flash flooding and even high winds can put you into a dangerous situation very quickly. My personal big worries out here are flash floods and the lightning that goes with the monsoon storms. You don't want to be in any of the washes out here at that time. A storm cell that's 25 miles away can send water, brush, rocks etc racing down the washes at speeds that you can't outrun and they'll grind you up and spit you out provided there's even enough of you left to spit out! Using metal tools and equipment in the area of lightning isn't a real bright idea either. I don't like the thought of being turned into a lightning rod myself.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was stationed in San Antonio, had a cousin who was in the VFD north of town in the Hill Country. There was this one very large ravine that was mostly very dry and barren, but would regularly flash flood. Can't tell you how many times I heard him talking about the idiots that would go to this spot thrill-seeking. ...It's been a few years now ( :3some: ), so I can only remember 1 of the reports. This idiot went down to the ravine, BY HIMSELF, wanting to surf in the flood waters. Keep in mind this ravine is dry the vast majority of the time, so someone has to have a good idea of when to be there, as the water can come from miles away. Anyway, the water was too much and he drowned.

I also remember something about a car that went off the road, I think at night, and got wedged under a bridge under water. That was bad, but the surfer dude was just an idiot!!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Surfer boy sounds like a prime candidate for a "Darwin Award". In his case it was definitely "Everyone out of the gene pool!".

Another thing to stay aware of again would be the snakes and other toothy critters. There's not many areas of the lower 48 that don't have at least one type of poisonous snake hanging out. Remember that not all of them have the "built in warning system" that rattlers have! I feel sorry for the guys east of the Rockies! Not only are there a wide range of rattlers to deal with but you have the Copperheads and Cotton Mouths as well.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Do garter snakes count?? *lol* Had ALL the bad snakes in SE Texas growing up. The most dangerous thing we have now are the hordes of mosquitoes!!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Overheard while laying in my bunk at Ft. Polk, LA during basic training.... "Hey Mike.... Think we should drain these guys before the big ones get here and fly off with them?" I'm pretty sure they were saying the same thing when I was transferred to Korea but I hadn't learned the language yet.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nh.nugget, that was funny! I suspect some of your state birds are flocking in my area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread