New to prospecting, advice on sluice?

time2fish

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I'm brand new to prospecting, and wanting to put together my entry-level equipment set. My initial goal is simply to be out on the river with my family, get some hikes in, learn a bit about geology, and share anything I learn with my two boys (3 & 7yrs old). I can easily see where a person could really get hooked, and scale up their efforts, but I'd be thrilled if we even managed a few grams. I just want them to play & work in the water, and hopefully have something to show for it. For myself, it's more about family time, and the chase, than the gold itself. I'm in western WA.

For the sake of them actually seeing some color, I'd like to be reasonably productive on the water, but still be packable, so that we can hike in. I plan to bring concentrates home, and work with them there.

Right now, we have two pans, a snifter, and a couple (empty) 1/2oz vials. I plan to add another pan or two for variety, plus some hand tools.

My biggest question is on sluices. I've been looking at the Angus Mackirks and the bazookas. I'm leaning towards a bazooka, because I think it would be more forgiving of young children, and I could let them scoop material, but they are also nearly twice as expensive. So... Are the bazookas really worth it? I'm not opposed to classifying materials, as that gives us a chance to look at rocks.

Thoughts?

Thanks to everyone who posts to this forum. I've been reading a bit over the past week or so, and it's been an education.

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The Le`Trap is a great sluice. Like Jeff95531 (aka "The Grasshopper") I have mine set up as a recirc highbanker with a pair of bilge pumps to move the water. While I was building up my system, I was running configurations for the box through my head. (Lots of room to move around in there at times) One of the ideas I came up with to make it convertible was to cut the end off 1 inch from the physical end of the box. You could then form a pair of 3/4 inch aluminum straps and a strip of rubber to be able to reattach the end for use as a highbanker. The cut off end would go on the inside of the main box with the rubber seal strip between them. The straps would go on the inside and outside of the assembly and would be drilled through the straps, end piece, seal strip and box for small bolts with wingnuts to hold everything together. Between the overlap and seal it wouldn't leak water and the inside strap would be right at the head of the box so it wouldn't mess up the water flow. The straps could be put in place without the end piece to beef up the input edge of the box when running in a stream or river. Since I'm in ARID-zona and don't really have many streams and rivers around to use an open ended sluice in I decided not to go with this design and left the end in place. The headerbox of my old wooden highbanker just happened to fit the Le`Trap perfectly and I use three bungee cords to hold it in place. Clean outs take me all of a minute and a half from start to being ready to run more materials.

I'm still not quite happy with my setup and as soon as I can shake loose the funds I'll be upgrading the pumps to give me more flow through the system. More water will allow me to run it at a flatter angle and still be able to have the tailing materials clear out while leaving the gold. It works well now but it can be better.

OP
OP
T

time2fish

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to say thanks to everyone again. I'm still going back and forth.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Bazooka super mini, so it's option #1. It's mostly a function of the bazookas being easier with kids, easy to setup, and the super mini working in flows I'll be comfortable with my 3.5yr old being around, as well as it's packablity.

My other thought, option #2, is to try to find an Angus Mackirk Recon ll, and classify to 1/4". It might mean less material processed, but I also think there's things to be learned, initially, really handling the material, even if it's just that classifying is more work. If it turn out the family really enjoys the time on the river, we can follow up the Recon ll with a Bazooka Sniper down the road.

Over the last few days, I've also managed to get my wife on board with this idea, which is surely the best way forward.

Anyway, thanks to all. I appreciate the advice.

OP
OP
T

time2fish

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just spoke to Bazooka, and I placed an order for a 24" sniper. It doesn't sound like the snipers require a magnitude more water to make work than the super mini, so I went for the additional trap capacity.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great choice!

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made a wise decision. That thing will last you forever.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you will be surprised at how much water it does take but it's not usually a problem to find somewhere to set it up, just on the big rivers. I'm sure you'll love it :thumbsup:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I run my Sniper all the time on little creeks. Just dam it up, create a drop if there isn't one naturally and you are rolling in gold! Well maybe :)

You can see lots of pics of my Sniper on a little creek in my Prospectors Journal, go check it out :)

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excellent choice. From what you describe your overall needs are it is the one that will fit them all. The great thing about the 24" model is if you are on very good concentration of gold you will see the pieces advancing slowly down the deck plate. Sometimes a piece will just sit there by itself or if it is in slurry you can see how the gold reacts hydraulically with the other material as it makes its way to the trap. Never get tired of seeing that. Good luck with it and if you have any setup or operations questions feel free to pm me or ask them here. You definitely will be happy with what you got.

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Good choice, I have yet to hear someone say "wish I didn't get this Bazooka". Have fun and heavy pans!
absolutely right SOHR ....but Im sure my muscles murmer it quite often..lol...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread