nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found theses the other day at Wal-Mart in the house wares isle. As far as I can see they are around a 150-175 mesh. The best part in tax free NH. they were a $1.97 for a set of 4. DSCF0368.JPG DSCF0369.JPG

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Time to get cooking!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the grease/splatter shields. Much finer.

And for the size you have, much faster with this one.

610lTCPcjjL._SX355_.jpg

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More like 30 -50 mesh...150 -175 is very fine mesh

Here is a pic of some 120 glued(badly) over some 10... Copper washer and wire strippers underneath..

Once you start getting small like that, it starts to feel smooth, like fabric.. 400 feels almost like silk.

26386538110_04735ceb59_c.jpg

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are a lot finer than they look just a super macro close up. Measured an inch square my verniers it's got 17sq. x17sq.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone has their own methods, but lets be serious here about what is on the line. Gold and even people doing it as a hobby take it very serious and hope for a big day.

Now lets say you are having a great day, do you really want to risk a single gram with a not proven culinary tool. I know I would not.

My suggestion is shop around for what is proven to work and last through tons of earth under conditions associated with not only the environment but the users. There is always a good deal out there, for every 10 new prospectors getting into this at the start of the season there are going to be 5 of them selling off their gear at the end of the season.

Just my thoughts, we all do it differently.

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their own methods, but lets be serious here about what is on the line. Gold and even people doing it as a hobby take it very serious and hope for a big day.

Now lets say you are having a great day, do you really want to risk a single gram with a not proven culinary tool. I know I would not.

My suggestion is shop around for what is proven to work and last through tons of earth under conditions associated with not only the environment but the users. There is always a good deal out there, for every 10 new prospectors getting into this at the start of the season there are going to be 5 of them selling off their gear at the end of the season.

Just my thoughts, we all do it differently.
Trust me I know what I'm doing, not a newbie. Just found them they work great for my cons for the blue bowl. For a $1.97 if they wear out in the garbage they go! I know they were finer than what I had. I have classifiers for the river. :headbang:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're perfect for screening cons....didn't figure you were trying to produce buckets with them. I think it's a great deal.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Trust me I know what I'm doing, not a newbie. Just found them they work great for my cons for the blue bowl. For a $1.97 if they wear out in the garbage they go! I know they were finer than what I had. I have classifiers for the river. :headbang:

Like I said we all do it differently.

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they are! Your only talking maybe a gallon of cons. For the price you can't beat them. Even though I've seen people at the river with less than that.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use them for cons. Was using them to pan at the river until I almost thew away some pesky larger gold pieces. The gold seemed to stick to the mesh.

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use them after my clean-up sluice. get big stuff first LOL! Not that we have BIG STUFF up here. After I run the cons once then I use these to classify my cons to get the garbage out for my DIY blue bowl mines actually black. DSCF0366.JPG DSCF0367.JPG

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
http://www.industrialspec.com/pdf/ISM-Mesh-and-Microns-Chart.pdf

The following quote is the second paragraph from the above reference.... "What does mesh size mean? Mesh size is the mesh number (a US measurement standard) and its relationship to the size of the openings in the mesh and thus the size of particles that can pass through these openings. Figuring out the
mesh number is simple. All you do is count the number of openings in one linear inch of screen. This count is the
mesh number. A 4 mesh screen means there are four little square openings across one inch of screen. A 100 mesh
screen has 100 openings per inch, and so on."

Doing the math (length X width) from the quoted reference there are 22,500 openings in a square inch of 150 mesh screen and 10,000 in a square inch of 100 mesh screen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I know how to figure mesh size? Even with my cheater glasses I can't see that many holes! But the only hole that matters is the one with GOLD in it! LOL!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an 8 mesh at the river and check for nuggets
then at home use a kitchen strainer to separate my con's by size
the bigger I can pan, the rest goes into my rec-sluice to concentrate more
then finish with my Falcon finish pan over a regular pan with my magnify glass close by.

a medium - kitchen strainer is 1/16 mesh
a fine - for like jelly and sauce is 1/32 mesh
a superfine - AKA tea strainer/powder duster is ? (so fine no one has bothered counting)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are a lot finer than they look just a super macro close up. Measured an inch square my verniers it's got 17sq. x17sq.
There ya go 20 mesh-ish:laughing7:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I will stick to my regular bucket type classifiers. Why? The openings in them are uniform! The mesh shifts as it goes around the curves so kitchen strainers are not uniform so you can still end up with different sizes. I will admit to having one of them in the processing area though. I use it to skim the "floaties" out of the recirc tanks to keep the crud out of my bilge pumps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread