Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another one that wasn't supposed to pass

California Mining Reform Law signed by Governor Brown

By: The Sierra Fund

April 19, 2016 - Late yesterday afternoon Governor Brown signed into law two significant pieces of legislation aimed at improving enforcement of California’s Surface Mining and Reclamation Act (SMARA). The Governor signed SB 209 (Pavley) and AB 1142 (Gray), two complementary bills that together represent significant reform to SMARA.

In a letter asking for his signature, Elizabeth Martin, CEO of The Sierra Fund (sponsors of SB 209) noted that: “Reform of SMARA is a top priority for many Californians, including County Supervisors, responsible mining companies and other businesses, conservation organizations, and community members that live around active mines.”

SB 209 and AB 1142 together make numerous changes to the state surface mining provisions regarding reclamation plans, financial assurances, annual inspections, and enforcement. The bills were a product of a “stakeholder process” initiated by the Governor’s office, that Martin participated in last winter and spring. Ideas that emerged from these meetings to strengthen and support consistent enforcement of SMARA by lead agencies were incorporated into the two pieces of legislation signed yesterday.

“The State has an interest in regulating mining to ensure that a mine is operated in compliance with its locally issued permit, which protects the State’s water and air from contamination, and to ensure that when the mine ceases operation it is remediated to be ready for a beneficial end use,” Martin notes. Prior to SMARA’s enactment in 1975 – when it was signed by then-Governor Jerry Brown – mines were not required to undergo reclamation at the end of operation, and as a result California has 47,000 un-reclaimed, abandoned legacy mines that pose a serious threat to the health and safety of all Californians.

“Thank you to Senator Pavley and Assembly Member Gray for their hard work in bringing these two bills forward, and to Governor Brown for his leadership on mining reform, both in the 1970s and again this year,” Martin said.

The Sierra Fund’s Legacy Mining Program has been working to address the issues related to mining impacts on the Sierra Nevada’s watersheds since 2006. For more information:

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
As a product of the California educational system I can attest to the fact that they do not teach anything close to the true history of the state in the schools. Hell....They still teach that Columbus "Discovered America" despite the proof that the Vikings were here long before he stumbled across it. It's a sad fact that the victors write the history and that anyone that tries to get the truth out is considered a revisionist with some sort of agenda. Many a person that was in truth a villain has been cast into the role of hero. A prime example of this would be Kit Carson who has a park (I'm sure there is more than one in the west and southwest) named after him in the south part of Escondido, CA. If the truth was made into common knowledge, I have a feeling that the park would be renamed PDQ. If we expect our children to avoid the mistakes of the past, we need to teach them an accurate history no matter how painful it is at times.

Time will tell if this latest bit of law is good or bad, but either way I'm sure that the "Spin Doctors" will try their best to make it look like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Neither, the retort contributes to global warming and potatoes have feelings! The prefered mercury extraction method favored by the Sierra Fund is Organic Fairy Dust of which they have a never ending supply. I can also tell you, and this is from a very reliable source that she is partial to steel gold pans because the blue, green, and black plastic ones are chalked full of BP's. Keep an eye out for a Biodegradable line of pans and hand tools bearing the TSF logo- WOOHOOO! Huggin it out the hard way!

#fairysmatter
#saynotodust

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going with the flow of things- Sam Brannan is an interesting character to read about as well- Merchant, Journalist, Educator, Real Estate Tycoon, and Owner of the first newspaper in San Fransico.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread