Alaska Bound, September 2016

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
So my brother was gracious enough to use his air miles to pay for a trip me, my dad, and himself to go on a fishing trip on the Kenai Penninsula. I'll be damned if I am going to set foot on Alaskan soil and not put some dirt in a pan and get some Alaska gold (Notice I didn't say try:laughing7:). We will be staying in Cooper's Landing. So I am reaching out to all my TN friends asking for information on Public Areas to prospect near there. Or, if anyone has a claim in the area they might permit me to prospect. Looking forward to hearing some responses.

Thanks,
Mike

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Pebble mine is just a hop skip and a jump over the bay - LOL! Sorry QNcrazy couldn't resist. Are staying exclusively in the Kenai area or are you gonna travel around a bit? Most of my time was up North and out West so I'm not much help, but I'm certain someone will step up and hook ya up- best of luck and I'm jealous as all hell!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
check out crowcreekmine.com its not to far.nice people,they will rent you everything you need,check the dates,everything up there shuts down in late sept.
have fun brad

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the USGS historic mines data for that area just to get you fired up!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461870005.509350.jpg

And here's some great info: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5076448.pdf

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

INDEAD

May 13, 2015
ALASKA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The link Kevin posted has a great list of all the public use areas heading down.
There is a great spot called Quartz creek about a mile or two before you drop in to Cooper landing, mostly claimed areas.
There is a company called Alaska River Adventures at mile post 48 in Cooper Landing that offers gold panning, however I have never stopped in, but if they have anything to do with Quartz creek it would be worth it.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I was up there, the land "Right At" any road crossing was open to casual prospecting - no cutting down banks and such. That was ~ 1995 so you should check to see if that is still the rule......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
All I can say is WOW!!! to all the responses and information. Thank you all very much. This is a great head start. I'll spend some time on the phone next week making some calls, gathering detail. Again, I apreciate all the support from the TN members.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Got room in your bags to smuggle an Irishman up there by chance? I haven't been up in Alaska since 76 and am feeling the need...... Strictly for medical reasons of course! (Keeping my sanity)

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Got room in your bags to smuggle an Irishman up there by chance? I haven't been up in Alaska since 76 and am feeling the need...... Strictly for medical reasons of course! (Keeping my sanity)

OH NO you don't! If we have to stay and be on the INSANE side of things, so do you.

Got room for an old German.

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Alright, you guys are starting to scare me. Too funny! IF I come home from this trip (:wink:), I will have to go farther north (Nome) when I retire in 3.5.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well first off I had no intention of scaring you there QN. I'll make it back up there one of these days.

Secondly.... Back off Hefty! I asked first! I don't have to put up with the insanity that is called California any more, just the Arizona summer heat which IS insane! Hence my plea for a medical furlough up north. Like I said... Strictly for medical reasons.

Last but not least, I hope you knock em dead up there QN! At least bring us all back some nice Halibut steaks for the BBQ!!! One of those famous "Barn Door" flatties should cover most of the guys here.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I call dibs on the cheek meat!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1462027711121.jpg
    1462027711121.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 80

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
.........and a side dish of "Stinky Heads" with seal oil dip and Akutaq (eskimo ice cream) to top it off!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread