Michigan to Colorado

Crewsader

Apr 24, 2013
Hi everyone, it's been awhile that I've been here. I've been very busy getting my rv ready and actually bought some placer claims in the Rocky Mountains. We are heading there at the end of May and are VERY excited. What I was hoping to find out, if any similar area prospectors can offer any advice for what kind of weather conditions I can expect at that time of year. I'll be about 20 miles northwest of the Grand Lake area.
Actually any advice is most welcome.
Thanks in advance,Doug

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Weather at higher elevations in Colorado is always iffy but sure to be cold at night. If the snow is melting then creeks and rivers will probably be at a high runoff stage that early in the year.

Educate yourself with this site. Welcome to Land Matters
Here is the interactive map specific to Colorado mining claims and is pretty easy to navigate once you get the hang of it. http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/ClaimsCo/GetMap

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of blue skies and 65-75 temps but a quick rain storm can come up suddenly in the afternoon and give you quite a chill if you're unprepared. Also snow is possible(!!) but won't last long on the ground. As said, streams will be very cold but that's good if you're working hard!

OP
OP
Crewsader

Crewsader

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for the advice everybody! I've never been further west than Wisconsin.
And thanks for the link to Land Matters arizau,what a great resource!
I knew that you guys would be of great help! Warm clothes are already packed!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...and sun block, bring plenty! 'Cause mostly it'll be sunny and beautiful!

OP
OP
Crewsader

Crewsader

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks Kevin, sunblock was purchased just days ago, bringing my Bazooka!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the advice everybody! I've never been further west than Wisconsin.
And thanks for the link to Land Matters arizau,what a great resource!
I knew that you guys would be of great help! Warm clothes are already packed!

Get ready for sticker shock. By that I mean the mountain states are a huge change from the flat lands.
In every way really.

solarsmith

Mar 27, 2016
Denver
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ok a great place to go in Colorado. hope you find lots of gold. and dont have to hand dig for it. until June you can expect winter at night and summer during the day.
with some days also having winter too. my place is at 9200 feet the weather at that altitude can be winter at any time . but on the plus side the temp will not go over 90.
bring a floppy hat for wet days and sunny days. a few good chairs so you can relax like you do at home . you will not be digging all the time. you will be very close to the back door of rock mt national park. so when the weather gets bad go visit. Bryan In Denver Colorado.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It can rain or snow at any time, and blizzards are not unheard of through June. Anywhere in the mountains is considered a tourist area, so things are not cheap and availability of some products or foods that you like might be slim to none. Most restaurants are fantastic, but don't be surprised if you find some that are sub-par. They can get away with it if there aren't many choices.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One other thing that often happens to flatlanders is high altitude sensitivity/sickness: shortness of breath, headaches, etc. This usually only happens for a day or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread