fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm still not quite walking right yet (yes, another surgery), it'll be a couple more months before I can go up to the claim and play. In the meantime would one or two of you nice gentlemen (or ladies as the case may be) mind doing me a solid and test out these legal waters? That way when I can get back to diggin I'll have some case precedence to cite for when I get popped and have to defend myself. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
english. the elements of a paragraph make up a whole and all elements pertain to that whole. also in procedment (one thing after another)

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB637
SB-637. SEC 2 5653(a) and SEC 3 13172.5.(a); states the first thing as "vacuum or suction dredge" //"implying" power jets/infinities(vacuum) and venturies suction heads(suction){powered with an engine/motor gas/elec}.

nowhere is the terms "high banker" or "power sluice" used. why would the lawmakers put this "or" that if they weren't being specific?

the statement; "or the processing of" isn't just in the same paragraph it's also in the same sentence. everything must be taken together.

also the state can not arbitrarily define something. eg. they can't define a cat as a dog. a dredge is a dredge. or one thing as many things(involving pronouns).

anything that floats on the water falls under boating laws;http://www.dbw.ca.gov/PDF/LawEnforc/2012CBL.pdf

their effect on the water goes under water laws;CALIFORNIA WATER CODE
this also includes laws on pumping water.

whether a vessel must be registered is defined by the state;California Boat Registration Instructions | DMV.org
if it's small and it's not propelled by the motor it carries than it is the equivalent of a canoe.

you may dig within the high water line,(the creek or river itself including gravel bars).
you can not undercut a bank. from above the high water line, 300 ft away is off limits. past that is fair game.

any water you pump must be returned to the waterway as clean as it was taken.
you don't have to worry about this if the material came from within the high water line. (obviously if you weren't aloud to you wouldn't be able to dirty the water by panning such material)

regulations do not define laws, laws define regulations.

I would also advise people start using the term "power sluice" instead of "high banker". "high banking" is a type of mining implying mining high up a bank. a power sluice it the tool used in the practice and therefore dubbed the "high banker".

also get a video recorder or 3. and record everything you do and what any agents or LEO does. a lense can be far more powerful than a gun.

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying I disagree or agree with you or the others who have responded, but all I can picture is the incredibly nice and cordial LEO nodding his head and saying "Yes sir that may well be your interpretation, however mine is different, you'll notice as you peruse your citation that it gives you two options. One you can pay the fine, or two you can be at the court house on the day listed and we will both get a chance to plead our interpretations to the judge or magistrate. Now if you'd be so kind as to sign here, I'll let you get on your way. Thanks, be safe, and Have a nice day".
Doesn't matter, either way it will cost me time and money and set myself up for even more trouble down the road if I lose and I get caught again. I do have to say tho, I have never lost challenging a citation, I have a grand record of something like 3-0. However the only thing I "won" was the satisfaction of proving I was right, woohoo! As I said earlier it still cost me time and money.
Yep. Until Americans stop allowing the cowards their illegal actions, this rubbish will continue.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why is everyone moaning and crying? Someone helped elect "conservatives", well, that's what they are doing, "conserving". I call them "Californicators". Move to a state that doesn't regulate your life to such a high degree. In the golden state, if you smile too long while doing something, they tax it, require a permit or regulate the hell out of it. Did I mention... welcome to the "land of the free".

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The state can support millions of "illegals"....yet its actuaul citizens have a laundry list of 'illegal" things e can get in trouble for:BangHead:

Hi banking is not illegal....running a motor near a stream,lake ,or river is technically only doable if you posess a permit that doesnt exist.....the eir's and stream classifacation is up in the aitr AGAIN.....thet don't even have the ability to enforce as thre are millions of others running motors on or near these rivers lakes and streams. The difference is that they are in boats jet skis and vehicles. The difference is they are only going after prospectors because of our type of activity.

You can't make rules against one type of resource user that you don't enforce across the board. It's gonna end up challenged hopefully on that logical basis.

I live here for a reason I moved right on top of gold for a reason. Turning tail has never been the right solution.

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The state can support millions of "illegals"....yet its actaul citizens have a laundry list of 'illegal" things e can get in trouble for:BangHead:

Hi banking is not illegal....running a motor near a stream,lake ,or river is technically only doable if you posess a permit that doesnt exist.....the eir's and stream classifacation is up in the aitr AGAIN.....thet don't even have the ability to enforce as thre are millions of others running motors on or near these rivers lakes and streams. The difference is that they are in boats jet skis and vehicles. The difference is they are only going after prospectors because of our type of activity.

you can't make rules against one type of resource user that you don't enforce across the board. It's gonna end up challenged hopefully on that logical basis.

I live here for a reason I moved right on top of gold for a reason. Turning tail has never been the right solution.

I agree, I just got fined $2508 for no healthcare and I work full time haha. If I renounced my citizenship I would probably have better healthcare, food and housing opportunities here in Ca:) more to the point of the other poster we complain because we should and have an obligation to create awareness about the insanity and profits being made in these misguided crackdowns being done under the guise of environmentalism!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
legal in some places in Caliphony except where it's not
home made Rocking Gold Grabber

Last edited:

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Let''s face it "they" don't want "us" on the stream beds and "they" are going to get any laws passed that make it difficult for "us."

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week 5 bills that had absolutely nothing to do with mining in any way shape or form metamorphacised into anti mining bills in the legislature...hate hate hate insanity-John

SailorDan

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT
Last week 5 bills that had absolutely nothing to do with mining in any way shape or form metamorphacised into anti mining bills in the legislature...hate hate hate insanity-John

Yep. The Sacramento turkeys are doing the same thing with guns. Tacking on gun control measures to innocuous sounding bills that have nothing to do with guns.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread