Gold cube and miller table

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that I have a little experience with prospecting I was thinking running material through a gold cube then using a miller table to cleanly extract the cons from the cube might be a good one two punch. Any thoughts? I get really frustrated panning some of the really fine stuff, very hard to separate from the black sand without panning black sand out and probably losing gold.

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
And how many thousand pieces of that little stuff do you think it takes to make a gram?!?!?!?!?!?:laughing7:

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 200,000......:laughing7:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The guy i use to get the classifiers locally has retired. I went out to his shop and he was selling everything off a few weeks ago...

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
9pc Classifier Sifting Pan Set Screen Pan Gold Gem Panning Mining Prospecting | eBay

This is a 9 piece set with free shipping. Less than $10.00 per classifier... Using stainless steel mesh...

Hey saw this post after I had already placed an order! Ordered the set with the 30, 50, 70 and 100, paid 50 bucks with free shipping, had to get some though as I am really anxious to see if this increases my gold take, smallest classifier I had was a 12 up to this point.
Hey what is your guys' process for classifying?? I have seen a few people eluding to using several buckets and letting the different sizes pile up before classifying. So say I have a 12, 30, 50, 70 and 100 you would take the material, run it through the 12 into a bucket, take that and run that through a 30 in another bucket then whatever stays on top of the 30 goes into a bucket and so on and so forth? So you are actually collecting the stuff left on top of your screen. Up to this point I have been using the pro pan at the river and classifying down to -12 right at the river then use a combination of my pan and clean up sluice to process in the basement. Still feeling like I'm losing gold and I don't have much to start with here in Mn.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If your referring to a blacksand magnet there is one pictured and shown how to make it on this site. I made a version of it from "stuff" I had in my shop. it works fine!

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is another set of screens... Goes clear to 325 mesh... granted they are 5 1/2 in. in diameter but when you get to that point you don't need a bucket sized screen.
https://www.riogrande.com/Product/stackable-sifting-screens-325-mesh/350018

Bazooka gold trap co. Also has some small classifiers. They are a little more money, but I bet they are a little higher quality. They come with solid bottom and top tray. Do you really need to go down to 325 mesh? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm a newbie and am really asking do you need to go that small. I like the small classifiers, I think they would be perfect for bgt. They don't leave you with much cons.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I work beach gold and my cons run through a 100 mesh screen like water.
The whole trick to cleaning up your cons is to get the gold and the duff to be the same size , or close to it......
Like Mike Pung says just clean up according to the golden rule.. If everything in your pan is the same size. Gold rules.

Here is a lik to panning out your cons...... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/459664-art-gold-panning.html

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've read it before. Good read good videos. I just don't end up with a lot of material in my -100

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read it before. Good read good videos. I just don't end up with a lot of material in my -100

Then 325 is definitely not for you.
Wish I had that problem.......:laughing7:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work beach gold and my cons run through a 100 mesh screen like water.
The whole trick to cleaning up your cons is to get the gold and the duff to be the same size , or close to it......
Like Mike Pung says just clean up according to the golden rule.. If everything in your pan is the same size. Gold rules.

Here is a lik to panning out your cons...... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/459664-art-gold-panning.html

So you are saying beach gold is...mi-nute? Invisible to the naked eye? Damn tiny?:laughing7::laughing7:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So you are saying beach gold is...mi-nute? Invisible to the naked eye? Damn tiny?:laughing7::laughing7:
Way damn tiny........:laughing7:

So whats going on down your way? anything at whales head?

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a gold cube....I classify with 8 mesh....run through cube then vial from Miller table

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys sorry I haven't updated you much since my recent purchase of the classifiers. I have used them and like I mentioned I got a 30, 50, 70 and 100. Really time consuming to classify by each size, I like doing it but it takes tons of time. Results have varied greatly, to my surprise I have had most of my gold in the -30to +50 mesh range and also the -100 range but not much in the 50 mesh or 70 mesh buckets, thinking I may start skipping a couple sizes. Right now my process has been using my pro pan at the river, classifying to -12 at the river then bringing everything home for the time consuming crap. One day I tried classifying right down to -30 at the the river but it ended up being too time consuming plus I was afraid I was going to ruin the screen with the larger rocks I was dropping on it.
After tweaking my process a bit I do have a question. When classifying into a 5 gallon bucket when the bucket gets full of water so there is standing water on your screen is it o.k. to dump material in and work it with your hands through the screen? I have been doing that more now and it seems to work o.k. but I hope I am not losing any material that may just be sitting on top of the screen. I would think any of the material small enough to fit through would still go through without the force of dumping water on it.
On a good note yesterday I found two decent little pieces of gold, felt good because I have been going through a bit of a drought, always trying new spots, even driving around a little but still haven't found a spot I feel comfortable driving to and processing a ton of dirt because of past success. Gold seems to be really hit or miss here. You can go to a spot one day and do o.k. then go to the same spot the next day and barely find anything within 1 inch of where you were digging the day before.....really getting annoying! I just want ONE decent spot to rely on!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice to read so much about how you are doing. You only need to do the classifying beyond -12 (or even -4) for the last couple cups of heavies...NOT for all your paydirt. (So do this fine classifying at home!!)

Learning what sizes of gold you have is an important part of learning to get gold from your area. Good job there.

Classifying with standing water above the level of the screen is ideal. Much quicker and as you say, the small stuff drops right thru that way! (It doesn't need force of water flow unless you overload the classifier.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys sorry I haven't updated you much since my recent purchase of the classifiers. I have used them and like I mentioned I got a 30, 50, 70 and 100. Really time consuming to classify by each size, I like doing it but it takes tons of time. Results have varied greatly, to my surprise I have had most of my gold in the -30to +50 mesh range and also the -100 range but not much in the 50 mesh or 70 mesh buckets, thinking I may start skipping a couple sizes. Right now my process has been using my pro pan at the river, classifying to -12 at the river then bringing everything home for the time consuming crap. One day I tried classifying right down to -30 at the the river but it ended up being too time consuming plus I was afraid I was going to ruin the screen with the larger rocks I was dropping on it.
After tweaking my process a bit I do have a question. When classifying into a 5 gallon bucket when the bucket gets full of water so there is standing water on your screen is it o.k. to dump material in and work it with your hands through the screen? I have been doing that more now and it seems to work o.k. but I hope I am not losing any material that may just be sitting on top of the screen. I would think any of the material small enough to fit through would still go through without the force of dumping water on it.
On a good note yesterday I found two decent little pieces of gold, felt good because I have been going through a bit of a drought, always trying new spots, even driving around a little but still haven't found a spot I feel comfortable driving to and processing a ton of dirt because of past success. Gold seems to be really hit or miss here. You can go to a spot one day and do o.k. then go to the same spot the next day and barely find anything within 1 inch of where you were digging the day before.....really getting annoying! I just want ONE decent spot to rely on!

How often are you emptying the Pyramid Pro Pan (I gather that is what you are using)? It sounds like you are cleaning pretty often since you apparently end up with a lot of concentrates. You should be able to just continually operate it (add new feed material to it and sluff off the lighter material, bigger stones, etc. AKA production panning) until you have mostly black sands in the rectangular bottom section of the pan below the bottom of the metal riffles before a cleanout is necessary. At that point save everything not just what is in the tube area where the plug is. With production panning you will end up with minimal but richer concentrates to screen and pan at the end of the day.

As far as classifying feed.....I think the Fossicker (inventer) recommends about 1" max size for efficiency so....make it easy on yourself.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread