Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I drive for uber in the Denver metro area and I drive lots of Eco-nazis. I love telling them about my panning hobby because they freak out on me. Then I get to tell them how everything they eat, own and use is because of mining. They then say we don't eat rocks or wear rocks. I then point out their synthetic fiber shirt(from petroleum), the salad they had for lunch(from potash and petro fertilizer) and the lights at there house( from coal/nuclear/gas). By the end of the ride I usually can convince about the positives of mining. But some are so rabid and lost nothing gets through.

How about taking out the back seat (metal, petrolium based fabric, foam) and let them ride on a couple of big rocks.......

Pyrofx

Jan 7, 2016
Needles Ca
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2 keene a52, GOLD HOG RIVER SLUICE, home built 6 x 60 recirc high banker, Gold cube, Miller table....and a pan or two
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year we hauled 425 coal sets out of Gillete Wy each month . Our anointed one goes to the world summit and coal is being shut down . We are moving 125 sets a month now .
What is a coal set you ask?
A train hauling 115 cars of coal . Total weight .... 14,000 tons.
We have 4500 guys furloughed on the BNSF railroad . UP even more .About 1500 coal miners laid off in the last 6 months.
Solar , great. But what about all the toxic chemicals that get spewed . Glad its China and not us right.....
The problem is noboady looked at a plan that would ease people into unemployement.
But look at it this way , I'll have a lot of time to prospect...
Greg

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
China runs on coal, so if we start buying a lot of solar panels maybe they'll need you in the mines over there :tongue3:. Prospecting sounds better though.

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last year we hauled 425 coal sets out of Gillete Wy each month . Our anointed one goes to the world summit and coal is being shut down . We are moving 125 sets a month now .
What is a coal set you ask?
A train hauling 115 cars of coal . Total weight .... 14,000 tons.
We have 4500 guys furloughed on the BNSF railroad . UP even more .About 1500 coal miners laid off in the last 6 months.
Solar , great. But what about all the toxic chemicals that get spewed . Glad its China and not us right.....
The problem is noboady looked at a plan that would ease people into unemployement.
But look at it this way , I'll have a lot of time to prospect...
Greg

Yeah, that's my hometown and it has put a number of family and friends out of work. If nothing changes, all of North Eastern Wyoming is going to turn into a string of ghost towns.

Pyrofx

Jan 7, 2016
Needles Ca
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2 keene a52, GOLD HOG RIVER SLUICE, home built 6 x 60 recirc high banker, Gold cube, Miller table....and a pan or two
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran out of Edgemont. After being raised in the East bay area of California , I LOVE small town America.
Greg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Coal is getting killed here in CO by the electric company using a combo of wind and low cost natural gas. That's the new reality for coal mining unless we can get the export process ramped up. The electric co says wind/gas is cheaper than coal. It's economics not politics...

PS I used to consult for Amax Coal, which ran a couple big mines outside Gillette, as you probably know. I was up there a couple times in the 90's and really enjoyed seeing the operations from the inside. You really have my sympathy and support. Can I suggest getting into construction and moving to metro Denver? TONS of jobs to be had! (And gold in the creeks in town as you've seen from my prospector's journal)

PPS if Trump wants to help get our coal exports going he's going to have to reconsider his crazy idea about slapping a big tariff on Chinese imports. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The technology already exists that coal for power plants really isn't needed any longer. Same for wind/solar. Problem is, the folks that are making money on the production and use of coal don't want to quit using coal in its entirety. The only ones that want to end coal completely are the ones who have vested interests in other things. Hmm...now why was Obrother pushing solar so hard?!?!?

Btw, that's not politics - that's GREED!! .....Ok, so it IS politics! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread