frustration

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered an aftermarket dredge pump to put on a honda 2.5. It is from well known prospecting supply co. They actually supply other well known suppliers. They are not a supporting vendor so I cant name them. It is a dredge pump and NOT made in Chatsworth if that narrows it down enough. I wouldn't have the issue i'm having if I would have gotten it fromt them.

I have never heard complaints about this company and Bazooka sources items from them so I bought from them.

Well It took a month to get it due to them being out of stock..Finally it arrives cool!!!! Well here are my fustrations. Before I mounted it of course I put the mounting plate impellar and housing together. I see light between the mounting plate and housing. The manufacturer claims no seal is needed.
I was hoping that it would be fixed once I pulled the transfer pump off of the honda and mounted the dredge pump that I would get the face to face seal they claim happens.

I get to the point of mounting thr new adapter plate and guess what the mounting screws they send are not correct the thread pith is totally wrong. If you didn't know to check you would destroy the threads in the motor body the pith is close enough to get a start.

Dang it so first thing in the morning its off to the hardware store for proper screws. AAANNND they don't have countersink heads in that lenght and pitch so its cheese head screws and I have to grind them down flat so the plates and mount flush. No biggie at this point i'm really wanting to check the seal issue and will get the right screws online or at Home depot and remount.

Plates on now. Time to put on the impellar.....WTF the impellar is threaded with like a 1/4 inch hole the honda shaft is what 3/8 I COULD BREAK A LOT OF THINGS RIGH NOW AARRRGGHHHH.

I waited a month for this pump it is specifically sold as a dredge pump for this specific honda motor!!!!! And the impellar doesn't mount to the shaft. I feel like a 1/4 inch shaft wouldn't even exist on a pump anyways. I think somehow they tapped it wrong.

It came with no paperwork or mounting instructions or parts list.

I will be calling them tomorrow. I ended up just putting the transfer pump back on. It does provide some suction I can use it to pull gravel off the bottom but still had to be carful to not choke the hose and it wouldn't pull pickers out of depressions I ended up having to use my snuffer for several pieces. (I know that sounds silly to some) Obviously I like to see the gold before its in the sluice but, there is a reason I'm running a dredge to clean out crevices and I need a little more suction. It's only a 2 inch nozzle But, I need more suction. And the pressure from the transfer pump isn't enough and effects the depth I can get to alot as it has a hard time pushing the water uphill as it is.

I ran a 2 inch in the past and know how much suction I can get with that p90 style pump. Has anyone else mounted one of these after market pumps before? I can discuss the brand in private if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain. Sounds like they made changes to the model, without changing the model number. You have jumped through more hoops trying to "MacGyver it" than I would have patience for. Good luck with your fix and prospecting.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet any instructions that you might have received would have been in Chinese.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be successful in mining you have to be prepared to fabricate. It saves a lot of money.
It's not often I buy something ready made or new for that matter. When I do and it is something like a pump that I can't make, I do expect it to work for what it's advertised. Especially if I'm gonna drop a couple hundred bucks on it.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
talk to them, take some photos, measurements, maybe you didn't get all the parts or maybe it needs an adapter or stub
most of the manufacturers for the p90 size, the impeller is for a .625 = 5/8 shaft
they use the Honda GXH50 5/8" x 1-1/4" keyed shaft, tapped 1/4" ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stud screws into the hole in the impellar...pointless. didn't measure it yet but as you can see . Also nice of them to send steel alloy screws. The ones I got wet yesterday are rusting already. The stainless is one that I ground down. You can see the thread pitch doesn't match. There would be no tolerance for any kind of stub or adapter. The impellar fits against the intake side as it should.

I will be calling them tomorrow after work. I'm gonna check their website this evening I may email them. I am not the "customer" who bought it as Chris ordered it through me so technically I bought it from Bazooka. So I hope they don't give me the runaround because of that. I don't want to have to get him on the phone to them.

Attachments

• 1462752124367.jpg
    1462752124367.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 1462752139872.jpg
    1462752139872.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 1462752150308.jpg
    1462752150308.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 1462752160843.jpg
    1462752160843.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 116
  • 1462752173741.jpg
    1462752173741.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 105

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so then it has a back plate with the other half of the pump seal? no gasket?
you say the threads on the motor shaft is 3/8?
maybe its a one off motor made just for that company,

they have probably run into this before and might have a solution,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was me remembering written specs. out loud (and being wrong). It is 5/8 it's a honda wx15 normal command factory model. The threads on the drive shafts are on the outside. The impellar on it now screws onto it. The hole in the new impellar is way to small. They sell this motor with this pump on it. And they sell this pump advertised as a replacement/bolt on for this specific model. If they were a supporting vendor I would link the online catalog.

THEY DON'T SAY. It's a bolt on unit but you will have to do machining to your drive shaft. Or use this adaptor. There is no way I would machine the shaft down anyway. As I don't like the diameter of their hole. And I'm not going to break down the lower end of a perfectly good honda motor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shaft is male the impellar female

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so then it has a back plate with the other half of the pump seal? no gasket?
you say the threads on the motor shaft is 3/8?
maybe its a one off motor made just for that company,

they have probably run into this before and might have a solution,
I was thinking if the thread into the shaft is 3/8" something like this
View attachment 1310051

No gasket.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they may have one for the WX15 and one for the GXH50
looks like they sent you the wrong one.
the one you got is for a tapped shaft you want the one for the threaded shaft.

probably just a mix up threaded tapped is not the same as threaded other than the word threaded, someone was confused

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha. I sure hope that is the issue. So on the correct motor that stud threads into the tapped shaft. Hopefully they can just send the correct impellar. Thanks for your input.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, you can make a gasket. Gasket material is available at any auto parts store. But Permatex makes a product that just goes on tightens down and forms its own gasket. And it holds with no leaks...

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, you can make a gasket. Gasket material is available at any auto parts store. But Permatex makes a product that just goes on tightens down and forms its own gasket. And it holds with no leaks...

Yea I already have some. I had already called the supplier to see if there should be one. The guy says " it has a ceramic pump seal" I told him that want the seal I was talking about. I really don't want to use a gasket that I have to redo if I have to pull the housing to remove organics.Even though there is a screen it can happen and the veins can hold it and it does affect the pumps performance. A quick shutdown and housing removal to check is no big deal in the field. Removing cured permanent and waiting on cure time before firing up again is not something I want to deal with. I will be making a gasket out of some other material.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
And whatever pump you do end up getting and installing , Please use anti-seize compound on all threads . youll be happy if you do! I use it on everything , even my wheel studs for my truck and trailers.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And whatever pump you do end up getting and installing , Please use anti-seize compound on all threads . youll be happy if you do! I use it on everything , even my wheel studs for my truck and trailers.
What say you Russ? There should be a gasket between the backing plate and housing right?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot of people have had problems matching up engines to the p90 style pump forever.
you can say the manufacturer without putting a direct link my guess is Jobe Wholesale
it should have a paper gasket. might be worth it to spend a little more and go with keene, proline or dahlke

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
a lot of people have had problems matching up engines to the p90 style pump forever.
you can say the manufacturer without putting a direct link my guess is Jobe Wholesale
it should have a paper gasket. might be worth it to spend a little more and go with keene, proline or dahlke

I agree with winners58 on this. That is what I did for my 2 cycle eng/pump when trying to get something done! I called and talked to Mark Keene and got their eng/pump with the 2.5 HP Honda 4 stroke with the P90 Im a happy camper now! and as far as putting a gasket between the housing and the backing plate , Ive seen and been around very good machineing of metals and Ive seen some great work that didn't need a gasket , BUT on this pump and questionable manufactor location ,Id say it WOULD need a gasket with its vibration while running. It sounds like someone sent you the wrong part. BUT who am I !!!!!!!!!!!!

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Honda GXH50 is manufactured with different shafts (Q and T). The GXH50-Q is what the Jobe pump was designed for and is all that is offered as a stand alone GXH50 engine so I would not expect Jobe to have a impeller to fit a T style shaft. The GXH50 T is the engine used on the WX15. Simply the wrong shaft type for the Jobe pump. You can see both shaft styles offered including others on Honda's GX120 specifications page. Honda Engines | GX120 4-Stroke Engine | Features, Specs, and Model Info
I would try and find a GHX50 stand alone engine to fit the pump and put the WX15 back together for other uses.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hhhh well when I called yesterday day their dude was gone.

Trying to research I found several places that say the gxh50 model number is wx15......of course this gonna be a pain. This is the pump and motor we have. It looks the same as the one in their catalog. It is jobe. If there is some sort of difference and has been confusion before they should have a disclaimer.

I'll let you know what they have to say

Attachments

• 1462908679057.jpg
    1462908679057.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 1462908696709.jpg
    1462908696709.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 80

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions