Gloves that can for prospecting?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have never been one to wear gloves. I don;t even wear gloves for welding. In fact I have always been one to mock those who's hands are not leathery enough to withstand hard physical labor. However I must be getting soft in my old age. I used to work the creek for at least 3 days before my fingertips were raw and bleeding. However I have a certain amount of pain with every key stroke at the moment from my tender fingertips.

I admit I have worn gloves on my last few trips. Since my sister in law left a pair in the trunk after her and my brother took a trip to the creek with me. Now those cheap garden gloves made it 2 trips and lost most the fingertips on the 3 outing. My leather ropers lost they're fingertips on the second outing after that resulting in my current sore fingers. I have to admit the gloves make digging out the pockets in the bedrock much more comfortable.

Now I just need to find some that can withstand digging in sharp, finely serrated, agular gravels without needing replaced every couple of days.
Does anyone know of good gloves with some kind of abrasion and puncture proof fingertips that wont cost a mint?

But I still need to be able to feel what I am doing, that is the real reason I never wear gloves. I have to feel what I am doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1462733644108.jpg
    1462733644108.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, that thread title.... That'll teach me to post before drinking my coffee :laughing7:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beat me to it at home depot they are like 4 bucks.

We dig in razorblades...I HATE wearing gloves. Hangtowndiggins wears those all the time. One day I swith ed from sluicing to mucking out a hole and borrowed his pair...still have great dexterity and they are absolutely tough.
When I was dredging a lot I paid for the heavier " mechanix" gloves they were expensive and worn down in a say gone in a week.

It's these ones now for sure

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly use the latex coated work gloves, I like the neoprene dive gloves but they only last a few days,
I've used the Belkin fishing gloves, I've even used lobster gloves but I couldn't use my fingers very well,
and they fell apart anyway, I'm trying something new this year just a $12 pair of dive gloves with 3M 5200 marine adhesive.
DSC05711.JPG

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mechanics gloves. They are almost like Moto-cross dirt bike gloves only they have more reinforcing in the fingers also have plastic panels on the top sides of the hands and knuckles. I get a whole season and then some from a pair. They are pretty tough.You can get them at Lowes or Home depot.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those gloves are a lot more inexpensive at harbor freight. I personally don't give HD a dime of my money because of the agendas they promote.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not found any kind of glove that will survive sharp quartz crystal or other nasty stuff for long. Some gloves also do not like getting wet. I buy cheap and replace as needed. Only thing I look for is gloves without any metal in the design, because I also use a metal detector. However, I was out on the weekend on a field trip where one of the fellows had the blue ones from the picture above. He said they had already survived a week prospecting for amethyst, so they must be pretty good.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not found any kind of glove that will survive sharp quartz crystal or other nasty stuff for long. Some gloves also do not like getting wet. I buy cheap and replace as needed. Only thing I look for is gloves without any metal in the design, because I also use a metal detector. However, I was out on the weekend on a field trip where one of the fellows had the blue ones from the picture above. He said they had already survived a week prospecting for amethyst, so they must be pretty good.
Freshly cleaved mariposa slate makes quarts crystals seem like safety scissors:laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did not watch this video that Doc at Goldhog posted on Youtube but it may give you some ideas on how to extend the life of some of the gloves that are mentioned.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone tried using Kevlar glove? Anything that is supposed to be knife resistant?

T

Tuolumne

kevlar coated abalone diving gloves 3,5,7mm in all your sizes......prospecting and abalone hunting is a perfect Nor Cal crossover:) underwater dive lights, wetsuits with knee and elbow padding, kevlar weaved fingertips hardcore gloves at any dive shop or internet, they can handle quartz and mariposa slate, at least for the season..LOL
alot of people sell their abalone gear on craigslist, you can pick up kevlar gloves all the time.

Kevlar dipped is not the best, the dive gloves have it stitched in. Not only do they help but they keep your hands warm, I wear dive boots with tred- its awesome to snipe and ab in the same gear on the same day. Plus we score crawdads at the same time looking for nugs:) I even see the same DFW rangers at each spot, funny......

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread