Your experience with LDMA

SailorDan

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT
BLUF: Are you happy with your LDMA membership? Has it been worth the money? Would you join again?
Any big dissatisfiers/current concerns that should make me think twice?

I live in San Diego (~4hrs to Duisenburg, ~6hrs to Stanton), own a 5th wheel, have a wife and a youngin.
Joining LDMA and camping on the claims would seem to be a good fit, but Iā€™m having a tough time

justifying the cost.

I can join GPAA and 1 or 2 local clubs for about the same annual amount as the LDMA maintenance fees
(currently $120/year). The two closest claims are not in tourist meccas, so an RV campground in the local area can
be found for under $30ish/night or I dry camp for free.

Is there some intangible benefit that Iā€™m missing? I would imagine that other club claims (GPAA/non-GPAA) in the
same areas would have similar (possibly more?) opportunities to find gold.

Despite everything Iā€™ve written above, Iā€™m still leaning towards joining LDMA. The current offer of a transferable
membership, no maintenance fees for 2 yrs, and x-terra 705 for $3300 sounds good, but Iā€˜m still hesitant to
pull the trigger.

Some of my biggest concerns are:

Long term viability - I know they own the properties (good), but in the contract I think they reserve the right to
sell. Iā€™d hate to give them $3k, have them liquidate properties and Iā€™m left with nothing

Continued growth - they state that they look to continue to buy/expand properties, but does this actually happen?

Excessive membership - prospecting in the desert is somewhat seasonally dependent, are the campsite/claims
jammed during the ā€œseasonā€? Do you need to reserve a spot? Iā€™d hate to drive 5 hrs and end up with no where
to camp.

Played out claims - several forums have scuttlebutt about GPAA/LDMA claims being played out - any truth to
this? A big part of the enjoyment is being outside and digging in the dirt, but Iā€™d like to know that I have a decent
chance of finding something. Like fishing there is some skill involved and some luck, but Iā€™m not going to spend
a day fishing where there are no fish.

Thanks for taking the time to read, Iā€™d love to hear your thoughts on LDMA.

Dan

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link to the archived GPAA forum. Gold Prospectors Association of America Forum It has an LDMA section. I would highly suggest taking an evening to read through the threads there. I never had an LDMA membership, and after reading what many said, I wouldn't either. I dropped my GPAA membership years ago, just found no value in the club or gold in the claims. I found more gold in one 4 hour trip with a private club claim than several years while on GPAA claims.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having worked the Stanton area for several years, with memberships in 24K, Weaver, Y-not, and a few others including the LDMA, there is no reason to buy the membership if you are really after gold. If you like the fellowship of like minded miners and prospectors; If you like showing off your new equipment and lying about that nugget you actually bought on Ebay, then the LDMA is for you.

Years ago it was a GREAT deal. Not as many members, lots of gold on the claims. Since 2010, it's been downhill, with very little gold left to get your coil over. You can still get a few grams of flake and some pickers in your drywasher, but the easy gold is long gone. :skullflag:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I once knew a couple that had the ldma membership and they went to Stanton Az. for the Winter every year while being layed off from their job. the last I heard of them they again went to Az for the Winter pulling their 5th wheel trailer and when they got there (early0 the ldma camp was FULL . they camped out in the desert until there was room for them. I think I remember they had to wait 3 weeks out in the desert..............

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many big changes in recent years..annual fees, daily fees, non transferable(used to be able to sell/inherit the rights) and on and on. Many other ways to go ...John

OP
OP
S

SailorDan

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT
Well, sounds like my money might be better spend upgrading my GMT to a MineLab.

I was hoping to hear more good stories, but I think you have all confirmed some of concerns. It would be nice to have a pleasant campground for
my wife and toddler to hang out at while I dig holes in the dirt, but it is not of much use if there aren't any spots available.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread