Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree14Likes
  • 6 Post By Jeff95531
  • 5 Post By goldenIrishman
  • 3 Post By DizzyDigger

Thread: De re metallica

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4091 times
    Prospecting

De re metallica

No it's not a rock group. It's the title of a book that I found while looking for something else. This may be one of the first books ever published on mining (circa 1500). Pretty good link/story below. Anybody know anything about it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_re_metallica
    Last edited by Jeff95531; May 10, 2016 at 01:39 PM. Reason: opps....meant to post in our "other" forum
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6154 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    .... And I thought you were going to be banging your head against the wall.... AGAIN!!!! ....

Sounds like it would be a really interesting read. More than once I've wondered about how they did it in the REALLY old days. We all know about the advancements since the gold rush days, but what about those old toga wearing Romans and Greeks? How did they work placer and lode deposits back in their days? (NOT counting slave labor that is.) I've heard it said in the past that the legend of "The Golden Fleece" was about using a sheepskin as a sluice, but who really knows?
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

us

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    6154 times
    Available here for FREE!!!!!! (Our FAVORITE price!)

The Project Gutenberg eBook of De Re Metallica, by Georgius Agricola.
    Caribou369, kcm, NeoTokyo and 2 others like this.

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5682 times
    Prospecting
    Very interesting read...thanks Jeff!

Found it very interesting that the issues we face today are much
    the same as the miners dealt with over 500 years ago...

"But besides this, the strongest argument of the detractors is that the fields are devastated by mining operations,
    for which reason formerly Italians were warned by law that no one should dig the earth for metals and so injure their
    very fertile fields, their vineyards, and their olive groves. Also they argue that the woods and groves are cut down,
    for there is need of an endless amount of wood for timbers, machines, and the smelting of metals. And when the
    woods and groves are felled, then are exterminated the beasts and birds, very many of which furnish a pleasant and
    agreeable food for man. Further, when the ores are washed, the water which has been used poisons the brooks and
    streams, and either destroys the fish or drives them away. Therefore the inhabitants of these regions, on account of
    the devastation of their fields, woods, groves, brooks and rivers, find great difficulty in procuring the necessaries of life,
    and by reason of the destruction of the timber they are forced to greater expense in erecting buildings. Thus it is said,
    it is clear to all that there is greater detriment from mining than the value of the metals which the mining produces."
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4091 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks GI! Click and read! Frickin awesome job Dude! 's of Guinness on me and thanks for the thread move Jeff in PA

DD The more things change...well you know the rest...
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

us

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    6154 times
    No problem Jeff! Glad to be able to contribute. EVERY miner should be required to read stuff like this. Not only would it help remind them that it could be worse! (and often was back then) If we don't learn from the past, then how can we avoid the same mistakes in the future? Granted... Mankind had the habit of not exactly recording the true facts all the time but with a little digging you can usually find the truth of the matter. (Columbus just had a better press agent than the Vikings did is all)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links