Going Commercial Pro or con?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a friend that recently picked up a group of claims in Idaho. They are just upstream from where the bucket dredge stopped and tests show very good color. He wants to open a small trommel based commercial operation and I keep trying to talk him down to something small scale to avoid the permits.

What is the process for permitting a commercial operation and what are the costs?
How long does it take and is there a guide online?

Upvote 0

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that exact spot. I spoke with a guy at the gold show last month that was selling a bunch of the claims in that area. Real good dirt. Sorry I dont have any info on how to go commercial but you might want to contact the guy he got the claims from. If it is the same guy I met with, he is very knowledgeable.

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
first does he have any old grid maps showing any drill info as in depth to bed rock? (2) how many acres does he want to open up to start? where is he going to stock pile over burden? where is he going stock pile tailings? what Is he going to do with wash water when it rains and he has to much water? Heavy metals testing for discharged water! the water needs to be cleaner going in to a river then when you take it out. (EPA standards) he will need this and more when he is filling out the papers. (NOI, POO) and then wait for them to sign off on paper work. and dont forget about the impact stuies that are going to happen and refiling paper work with changes. MHO stay small and be happy. money wise depends on how big he wants to go.

Idaho Department of Lands

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Too many hoops to jump through. He will have more costs (AND headaches) going pro. For a small operation, might not be worth it. I would first look into making a small operation as ultimately efficient as possible while remaining small. ...Maybe wait and see what happens in November. Things could get much better, OR much worse. Would hate to see someone invest everything on a pro operation, only to end up being forced to shut down and lose everything.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
starts with the PoO and scale determines bonding.
like Bill said there would be an Environmental Assessment that could take awhile.
then you would have to get with the state for their surface mining requirements,
water quality permits, water rights, it can be done, takes time and commitment.
I hear EOMA has a bond pool and will help with writing the PoO
Eastern Oregon Mining Association

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear EOMA has a bond pool and will help with writing the PoO

Thumbs Up - Copy.gif

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Op in Idaho has it's own states hoops to jump through and seriously doubt Oregon folks are going to fund a Idaho operation. Just keep it small,lean, mean and clean and REALLY test completely before you expose your hand of cards to ANY agency. You file anything and it becomes PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE and they will come, the haters that is,by god they will. We just had a BLM meet in town, 25 folks showed and a dozen ranting and raving NO DREDGING ANYWHERE EVER.. Very insane as was just a open house to see what folks thought of who,what and how of BLM performance. The anti dredging cancer has spread far and wide .... sic sic sic-John

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the comments, sounds like it is not a placer mining friendly area, so might be best to fly under the radar. Generally, a miner knows if he should go larger because his previous sampling has proven this is the way to go. I will key in on your statement "recently picked up a group of claims" ... best advise is start small and do extensive sampling first. Then customize the operation for production once the area is proven. It will save a ton of money and hassle. He can always grow it later if that is what is necessary.

NoBudgetMining

Greenie
Oct 29, 2015
Sw Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your looking at 2 years to get a POO approved through the forest service. The NEPA analysis is what takes forever. If you want to be an Idaho commercial miner find ground that's BLM, they are much easier to work with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread