Gold race

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the gold panning booth at the elementary school science fair for the past 2 years... Gold panning.. The whole entire thing revolves around gold being HEAVY...

I had cups of sand/rocks... Black sand and ... Carbide inserts... Carbide inserts, being primarily tungsten, tungsen being within a few percentage points of the density of gold
really sent the message home with the kids... Doesn't hurt that a lot of carbide inserts have a gold colored coating on them.

The visual of how fast HEAVY stuff falls just might make its way into the next science fair. I like that idea...

19568024178_94b4b0a68c_c.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you hurthawk, nothing like a visual clue early in the morning!.................63bkpkr

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the moment when the gold hits and you can see how far behind the Quartz is: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463782455.228989.jpg

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does that test change if the gold and quartz are the same weight, I wish it was that easy, I have to deal with a lot of clay and flood mud when I pan in my area, agitation is very important to get that gold down to the bottom of the pan, all area's you mine different, one method may work for one area but not the next. Nuggets, flakes and fines all act differently in the pan. Experience will show you how to pan your area.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does that test change if the gold and quartz are the same weight, I wish it was that easy, I have to deal with a lot of clay and flood mud when I pan in my area, agitation is very important to get that gold down to the bottom of the pan, all area's you mine different, one method may work for one area but not the next. Nuggets, flakes and fines all act differently in the pan. Experience will show you how to pan your area.

No t won't change because:
- to be the same weight, the Quartz will be 5x larger and have 3-5x the resistance from the water (assuming the shapes are similar)

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is the problem, shapes are not the same in nature.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those bottles are nice to have a got a couple and there pretty tough, haven't tried running the car over them or anything but it would take a lot to break them and there water proof as well.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, that's dense reading...even for a gooey engineer like me :)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, that's dense reading...even for a gooey engineer like me :)

I think they concluded that gold is dense and that rounded objects are subject to less resistance in liquids.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread