Big gold mine still out there to be found?

Wildlifeliving

Greenie
Feb 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Places in Alaska nobody has ever walked on, lands the government still want you to homestead. You want a mine? Get out there and look for one, in areas that haven't been explored. Canada too. Not just a weekend, but a formal commitment. More than likely, you'll find it. If you don't think it's out there, check Terry Soloman's albums. Be sitting down when you do it...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A teenager found a vein of visible gold on a hillside 6 miles from Idaho Springs CO in 1979...and he was only a hundred yards from a road. I've been in the mine (the Resurrection) and you can still see visible gold in the support wall of the underground tunnel. Way cool and not so long ago :)

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're one of those lucky few huh? They say around 30% of the population has mild to no reactions to it,

Everybody I knew thought I was strange because I would never get poison Ivy... A friend of mine spent pretty much his entire child hood covered in it,
and I would take it and rub it on myself (even my tender bits at one time) to show him that I really had absolutely no reaction to it... Sumac allover the
place when I was growing up, no problem there either...

Though one day I did get what I think was poison oak... Miserable.. Came almost all the way up both legs... My poison ivy friend above got the same stuff,
that day, started on his legs also.. he had it almost all summer and it spread so bad he ended up with scars from it on his lips..

And if not getting poison ivy makes you mad at me... Mosquito bites on me are completely gone, with no swelling or itch in about 10 minutes.... But on the other
hand, I have cold sensitive teeth and can't bite into ice cream and I have an un-natural fear of blowing up balloons.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A teenager found a vein of visible gold on a hillside 6 miles from Idaho Springs CO in 1979...and he was only a hundred yards from a road. I've been in the mine (the Resurrection) and you can still see visible gold in the support wall of the underground tunnel. Way cool and not so long ago :)

Wait a second... YOU were IN THE MINE, and SAW VISIBLE GOLD.... And its still there???

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early 1970's in Acton Kal. a contractor pal of mine had dug the footings for a house he was building. In the process they uncovered a quartz vein very loaded with gold.The price of au then was regulated by the Gov and was around $100/oz. It was more of a novelty to them [not me!]. They poured the foundation right on top of a serious deposit. I should go buy that house.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early 1970's in Acton Kal. a contractor pal of mine had dug the footings for a house he was building. In the process they uncovered a quartz vein very loaded with gold.The price of au then was regulated by the Gov and was around $100/oz. It was more of a novelty to them [not me!]. They poured the foundation right on top of a serious deposit. I should go buy that house.

Buying the house may not buy you mineral rights to that property. While I don't know where this place is, if it's west of the Rockies, odds are there are no mineral rights included in the sale. Neighbors would wonder why you have massive rock piles in the middle of town, so it could be difficult to hide.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when we were looking at houses to buy we looked at one built in the thirties south of Placerville Right on the main lode line. It was off the ground with a fire place footed to the small basement. The owner took me down to show me the basement. the fire place was made of slate and quartz from the property. He showed me the quartz vein in place that they had been digging at for years because of the visable gold. He could tell I was super interested. He say's " theres a pile of quartz out in the yard thats full of gold we dug it out in the early nineties and never did anything with it". The house had several things going for it including gold on the property but, it as small. and still in EIDS overpriced water district. So we didn't make an offer....I drive by it everyonce in a while and wonder if the owners know what lurks beneath.

I have seen so many jaw dropping palm pictures in the last two years its mind boggling...and know several dedicated snipers who would blow your mind..They don't bother sharing pictures with the world just trusted friends and aquaintences. Thats just placer gold. I know a guy with a full blown crushing circuit....and acid etching set up. He has that for a reason. I know quite a few people that are making the old timers roll in their graves.

Its out there the thing is luck is way down the list as to reasons these deposits are found. Don't bet on luck.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wondered if a guy went to a super rich area , say the Allegheny District [16 to 1] and cut trenches if he wouldn't just swerve into some pretty good veins. If you owned the rights, a backhoe and had fuel and the time ,it would probably be better odds than the lottery.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I lived in Amador City as a teenager and wish I would have known then what I know now. I was more interested in old Fords and girls than the gold that was all around me, although one could not be aware of all the history with all the mining goodies laying about. circa 1962

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Clay.. Do you know what methodology they use to come up with such numbers? If they know there is X amount, seems they should know where it is, or at least some
of it... And if I knew where that 60% was, I certainly wouldn't be writing a paper about it, I'd have my head stuffed in a hole somewhere...

My gut feeling from what little I know, those percentages that are left in the ground will grow as more knowledge is gained...

The report itself will give you the methods they used to come up with their figures. This was a serious multi-year report involving field studies and some well respected geologists.

You can download the report at Land Matters by searching the Library. Here's a link to the download page Gold Resources in the Tertiary Gravels of California.

This report only addresses gold in deposits from the tertiary period (66 million to 2.58 million years ago). It doesn't cover the many other types of placer deposits in California and elsewhere. It doesn't cover the unmined portions of the Motherlode (the Motherlode by definition does not include placers). It doesn't include the many other hardrock gold sources in California. There's a lot more gold still to be found that isn't in this report.

The report does point out that where the gold is still unmined is not a secret but profitable ways to mine it need to be investigated. The 60% of the gold still left in those tertiary gravels weren't left there because they were unknown but because the easiest method of mining them became too expensive. Keep that fact in mind when you read the report - it's all about mining at a profit. That should be a lot easier now - multiply all the gold value figures in the report by 37 to get the current values. The report was written when gold was $35 an ounce! HELLO :hello:

The 507 million dollars of gold already mined from those gravels would be worth nearly 19 Billion dollars today. The gold still left to be mined represents about 22.5 Billion dollars. Those are very conservative figures. Go get u sum! :laughing7:

As with all the PDFs in the Land Matters library this report has been OCR, checked for completeness and copyright and the text can be copied and searched. There are no restrictions on copy/paste, searching or obnoxious warning pages or every page logos like with google books. The intent of the Land Matters library materials formatting is to make the books and reports more usable and encourage people to share resources that aren't restricted in their usefulness. Please share what you find there. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx Clay...

The 507 million dollars of gold already mined from those gravels would be worth nearly 19 Billion dollars today.

I should be working.. But instead I'm thinking about GOLD... That's 14.5 million ounces, 30 cubic yards or so. Not much more volume
than a good size bathroom, or a storage container 2 and a half feet deep. And they moved 1.5 BILLION cubic yards.. Just to fill up
a large bathroom. 1.5 billion cubic yards is 480 square miles, 3 feet deep.. New York city is only 304 square miles.

14.5 million ounces is approximately 1 million adav..adeveap.... Regular pounds. And even though all that gold would fit in a regular old
14foot u-haul... It would take approximately 25 semi's to move it legally..

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
If there's 23 billion in the ground and it costs 25 billion to get it out.well that don't calculate.If it's in California it's more than likely that all the tertiary channels are either claimed up,on private ground or tied up in litigation....and all old channels are not rich.If a mine is in California it would take many,many years to get all your permits,if at all.If your mine makes water in California your already on the doomsday clock at 11:55 before you start...How many large gold mining operations are currently active in California?It's likely there are a few handfulls of small operations into the good ore and gravel in the Golden state but they probably fly in the clouds for cover...Loose lips.sink ships.

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some in So Kal. , so water isn't really a factor. The one's I know of are Canadian owned. Granite Construction used to be the largest gold producer in the State. It's owned by Feinstein's husband so they never seem to have any regulatory harassment.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is why I love this forum. There's gold out there still and I would never have got to lookin were it not for reading here about everyone's adventures :).

OP
OP
W

Wildlifeliving

Greenie
Feb 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WLL,
Welcome to Treasure Net !
I think you'd have a better chance finding a gold deposit versus finding an abandoned yet profitable mine.
Don.....

Welcome to the asylum Wildlifeliving!

In answer to your question, I have to believe that there are many more big strikes to be found. As to where I think they will show up, well that would be in the oceans! WHY you ask? Look at how much soil has eroded and been washed out to sea over the millions of years. I have a strong feeling that the areas near mouths of rivers, where coastal glaciers have receded as well as the mid ocean ridges could be very rich areas.

While we pretty much have a good handle on the land areas, we haven't even scratched the surface when it come to mining in the oceans. Offshore dredging in Alaska you say? That's hasn't even started to really deplete the ocean gold in that area and there's a LOT more ocean to explore. Maybe that's what we need... A gold strike off the Mexican coast where you don't have to have a heated diving suit and you can pick up 5-6oz nuggies off the bottom while snorkeling.

Thank you guys. Yes probably. But sometimes I think of how much interesting birds like eagles and such as must have seen witch no man yet laid his hands upon, prob some mine in remote areas in states like Utah, Nevada or Arizona for instance.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most stories are from the 1800s about gold mines. Someone talking a shortcut or getting lost and then stumble upon a goldmine. Seems like we never hear of these stories nowadays?
So do you think theres still a big goldmine out there? A goldmine like the the Lost dutchman mine with gold lying on the surface to be found?

Unknown " BIG " gold deposits ( mines ) in the USA .................. could be .

Fairly rich smaller deposits of various types ............... I guarantee it .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread