Big gold mine still out there to be found?

Wildlifeliving

Greenie
Feb 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, yes I do. :skullflag:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what keeps me keepin' on :icon_thumleft:

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Besides being lucky enough to come across a micro scopic gold field that's gone unnoticed by the new technologies,one's chances are very slim..but possible.There are blind quartz veins that never surface,and perhaps over the past centuries mother nature has exposed some high grade ore by now.Lost mines were likely lost because they never existed in the first place.Every year there are thousands of people camping out,hiking,hunting,chasing cows and sheep.metal detecting and placering and yet as far as we know..the lost mines remain lost.Some of these so called lost mines were in areas where there are no known zones of mineralization,so it would be unlikely for any gold to be found in such places,but I guess it's possible if gold is where you find it/or it finds you.It's surely possible that narrow and shallow rich gold bearing veins still exist in the western states,but constant enough and with proven ore shoots at depth..unlikely.I know of one scenario where a fellow found rich highgrade on a mining claim abandoned by a big company which never had the area prospected and sampled correctly.Guess they didn't think the claims had enough proven ore and without that proof no one will invest on speculation.This property will never be a mine though as it's just lightly prospected with metal detectors.One thing is for certain,if you never look and dream,you will never find it.

solarsmith

Mar 27, 2016
Denver
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reading in the old mining journals I have seen many stories of the "new" owner digging a few feet more and finding a much larger vein the the last owner was digging next to for years and never new it. also when ever a core drill project is under taken in a known mining area they seem to find untouched zones that look rely good. I expect this summer to get to clean out a silver mine shaft that actualy had an assay of silver over 6.300 oz per ton. and had a 500 lb nugget of nearly pure silver come from it. I am hoping to get in it and be the first to use a metal detector in it. the rise in gold and silver prices has made old mines a interesting venture again. Bryan in Denver CO

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real problem is not finding a decent prospect, it's the bureaucracy you must deal with(bloody insanity) to permit any op of any size in this litigaseous environutz run world. John

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The real problem is not finding a decent prospect, it's the bureaucracy you must deal with(bloody insanity) to permit any op of any size in this litigaseous environutz run world. John

poppycock, the real problem is nobody wants to work that hard, and they just want the big money.

and real decent prospects you do realize we are the last of i believe the 6th generation of miners looking over the same grounds for the same thing, if they would of had bleepers youd find nothing !!!!!

GT................

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yes I do! Why?

I've hiked the NFAR for fifty years, a lot of that time as I hiked I saw no other human beings though in a few places I did see signs that I was not the first to be in there. The portion of the country with Known gold resources is large to vast, the crust has not stopped moving and as it moves new deposits will be exposed, that is if you are looking for a vein. There are still ancient river beds remaining that have not been exposed though they could be at any time. I've posted pictures on this site of the very edges of an ancient river just starting to erode out of the topsoil so I know they exist. So, there are some very wild places out there where most humans never attempt to reach as it just takes too much time and effort. Then along comes a loner like myself that enjoys taking the time to explore the 'back country' and sees the slow but constant workings of the Natural Events of the seasons breaking off the faces of cliffs into a pile of slabs at the base of the cliffs. There are many ways the next vein will be exposed, a person just needs to work their butt off to find it..................63bkpkr

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
60% of the mineable gold is still in the ground in California. That's a stone cold fact. 7 year study released as Gold Resources in the Tertiary Gravels of California in 1968. That doesn't even cover hard rock deposits.

The percentage is even higher in other states.

Go get u sum! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if they'd just invent a vaccine for poison oak....:sadsmiley:
Go to a compounding pharmacy they make a tincure that is essentially an inocculation. Builds up you immunity.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have.... EYES and FEET. See it ..Walk around it.
A lot harder to do when the areas you work are poison oak nurseries....One more thing to put up with knowing it keeps people out:thumbsup:

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
60% of the mineable gold is still in the ground in California. That's a stone cold fact. 7 year study released as Gold Resources in the Tertiary Gravels of California in 1968. That doesn't even cover hard rock deposits.

Hey Clay.. Do you know what methodology they use to come up with such numbers? If they know there is X amount, seems they should know where it is, or at least some
of it... And if I knew where that 60% was, I certainly wouldn't be writing a paper about it, I'd have my head stuffed in a hole somewhere...

My gut feeling from what little I know, those percentages that are left in the ground will grow as more knowledge is gained...

Where I've been digging the "events" were approximately 15 million, 30 million and 70 million years ago... But what happened 200million or 400million years ago??? or longer..

Is there a 700million year old completely eroded volcano sitting in the middle of a corn field in Nebraska???

Whats under the oceans???? Just fun stuff to think about. The appalacians used to be big mountains like the rockies.. Are there hidden placer deposits from erosion and
degredation of the mountains over 100's of millions of years sitting in virginia and pennsylvania???

Then you talk about glacial gold that was moved with the last ice age, which was only about 12,000 years ago... What about the glaciers 250,000 years ago, what did
they move and where did they leave the good stuff? 2 million years ago????

Fun to think about.. And the time frames are SO MASSIVE.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Now if they'd just invent a vaccine for poison oak....:sadsmiley:

Actually they do! Well... that might be they USED TO. As a young kid (yes...I was one of those way back when) My Dad worked for Ma Bell in the back country of San Diego County. They gave him vials of something called "ImuneOak" and he brought some home. You mixed one vial in a glass of water and chugged it down. Ya pretty much had to chug it because it tasted nasty as I remember. While it may have been some nasty stuff, I do know that I have never gotten poison oak. I can roll in the stuff, can and have cleared lots filled with it, and bushwhacked my way through miles of it and have never gotten it. I did learn the hard way in Georgia that the immunity didn't cross over to Poison Ivy! That stuff kicked my butt badly!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the asylum Wildlifeliving!

In answer to your question, I have to believe that there are many more big strikes to be found. As to where I think they will show up, well that would be in the oceans! WHY you ask? Look at how much soil has eroded and been washed out to sea over the millions of years. I have a strong feeling that the areas near mouths of rivers, where coastal glaciers have receded as well as the mid ocean ridges could be very rich areas.

While we pretty much have a good handle on the land areas, we haven't even scratched the surface when it come to mining in the oceans. Offshore dredging in Alaska you say? That's hasn't even started to really deplete the ocean gold in that area and there's a LOT more ocean to explore. Maybe that's what we need... A gold strike off the Mexican coast where you don't have to have a heated diving suit and you can pick up 5-6oz nuggies off the bottom while snorkeling.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you fly over the USA , it becomes very obvious how vast our nation is. Az, ID,Nv, Wy, Ut.etc. Even Kal. . A whole lot of unsettled , unoccupied land. It's out there , just waiting for me to get around to my bucket list.

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually they do! Well... that might be they USED TO. As a young kid (yes...I was one of those way back when) My Dad worked for Ma Bell in the back country of San Diego County. They gave him vials of something called "ImuneOak" and he brought some home. You mixed one vial in a glass of water and chugged it down. Ya pretty much had to chug it because it tasted nasty as I remember. While it may have been some nasty stuff, I do know that I have never gotten poison oak. I can roll in the stuff, can and have cleared lots filled with it, and bushwhacked my way through miles of it and have never gotten it. I did learn the hard way in Georgia that the immunity didn't cross over to Poison Ivy! That stuff kicked my butt badly!

You're one of those lucky few huh? They say around 30% of the population has mild to no reactions to it, unfortunately, I am not among that number. I am extremely careful in areas that are thick with it and I still manage to walk out of most of the rough country I hike through with a mild rash. Most of my right arm is covered in it right now, thankfully Dawn dish soap really helps in preventing and washing off the oils or I would probably be in a world of pain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread