Gold panning help

Griffinc1414

May 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! So I am new to this and could use a little guidance. I have been working this river for few weeks now and I found a few good places but all I am getting is black sand and a dark red/brownish garnets. The deeper I dig the more and larger the garnets become. Am I in the right sport for searching for gold? I know there are many more awesome things I can find while panning so I am keeping my eyes open for everything. Also, in my black sand, there tends to be something with a blue shine to it. It's smaller then the black sand and just as much. Any ideas on what it is? I have been looking for help on this but can't find anything and I am now keeping everything I get at the end of each panning just in case.

Upvote 0

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably need to put the area you're panning.
At least the state would help a little too.
Behind our cabin we have a creek we have named SHEET's Creek.
Lots of black sand and garnets.... but there ain't SHEET for gold in it.
:)
Doc

OP
OP
G

Griffinc1414

May 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did not even think about the state or river. I live in Vermont. And I found a nice place on Middlebury River that goes out into the Green mountain national forest. I know there is gold in this river and others around me. This was just easiest for me to get to.

OP
OP
G

Griffinc1414

May 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 10 mesh classifier. I tend to hand pan anything smaller and I check everything in my classifier.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably need to put the area you're panning.
At least the state would help a little too.
Behind our cabin we have a creek we have named SHEET's Creek.
Lots of black sand and garnets.... but there ain't SHEET for gold in it.
:)
Doc

Isn't that the creek we lost that paddle on Doc? BTW... nice Mexican accent there....

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone! So I am new to this and could use a little guidance. I have been working this river for few weeks now and I found a few good places but all I am getting is black sand and a dark red/brownish garnets. The deeper I dig the more and larger the garnets become. Am I in the right sport for searching for gold? I know there are many more awesome things I can find while panning so I am keeping my eyes open for everything. Also, in my black sand, there tends to be something with a blue shine to it. It's smaller then the black sand and just as much. Any ideas on what it is? I have been looking for help on this but can't find anything and I am now keeping everything I get at the end of each panning just in case.

This might help you some. Gems and Gemstones: Gemstone Occurrences in Vermont
Note that it states that gold is sparse in Vermont so the area you are digging/panning may not have any at all but there may be some up or down stream so try different spots and maybe even different streams. Gold is often associated with black sands but in many places there is abundant black sand and no gold. Also there are a couple of blue minerals found in Vermont; Beryl/Aquamarine and blue quartz and what you are seeing may be tiny pieces of one or both of them.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread