Kayaking for gold

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometimes you just can not get to a great prospecting area because there is just to much water.
Many prospectors have been hiking the South Fork American river for several years starting at Folsom Lake during the drought. For several years the lake has receded away from the steep canyon and left a river in its wake. The steep canyon walls demand that you be a hardy hiker that loves crawling over thousands of large rocks looking for the elusive gold in cracks and gravel areas.

We dreamed of a massive El Niño to move new gold into areas we have emptied of gold of various sizes. The massive floods did not happen but the lake did rise and subsequently filled the canyon enough so hiking the steep canyon walls was no longer a option.

Along comes a idea of a new addition to my prospecting tools, kayaking. I bought a relatively cheap sit on top kayak on sale, paddles and a wheeled cart to enable easy moving and I was now on my way to paddling up the canyon towards the beginning of the river flow into the lake. There are other areas around the lake where small creeks meet dump into the lake and may be good areas for a kayaking trip.

I Though that my only interest would be to paddle up the canyon and get to the area as fAst as possible where the lake turned into the river. What I discovered was a new view of the canyon walls that you do not see while hiking. I was seeing nature from a different viewpoint. A turtle sitting on a rock came into view As I paddled close to shore. Just after I got off the kayak a very large sake came into view which luckily was not a rattler.

It takes practice to get good at paddling. The first trip I my pants got very wet from water dripping off the paddle surface. The next trip I wore rain pants as the day was cloudy. Now My paddling is getting better and the days are warmer so getting wet feels good.

I am finding gold up high on the banks where a person would not normally look when the water is low. I think the gold I am finding high on the banks is eroded from material which is close by.

Happy prospecting !

Sent from my iPad

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like good fun and a useful tool!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought this last month! But 4k cfs is keeping me away

Attachments

• 1463980050244.jpg
    1463980050244.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 1463980071360.jpg
    1463980071360.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 137
OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the same kayak I purchased. We almost get to the Rapids , pull to shore when the lake water gets moving to fast.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking at the same model in a store just a few days ago. ...Then I started trying to figure out how to mount a small motor on the thing! :tongue3: Shortly after, I just walked away. ...What I need is something I can get the wife in as well....so SHE can do the paddling!! :laughing9:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 16' pelican fishermen kayak is the bomb. Plenty of dry storage and very stable. EZ to get in when in deep water too. Too bad Sports Authority who sold them is gone as I've let folks use it a few times and instant convert to sit on instead of sit in. Enjoy as I sure do-John

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally am a big fan of the Pro Angler series from Hobie. We have two PA 12's, two PA 14's and one PA 17t. We have two Evolve motors as well but those are not used very much unless my son is coming with me.

I can find good use for a Yak under man circumstances.

For running up creeks and rivers the PA 12 is great.

In regards to getting wet; just check the Hobie catalog or Yak Attack. They have these small half tents that go over your legs. It really helps in the winter when the water is 45 degrees and the waves are killer.

Another thing that helps with the water is having the proper length Yak oar, full extension of your arms alway keeping your brace arm locked or near locked at the elbow and a deep pull with your other arm. Proper technique and proper oar will help.

In regards to wearing rain gear: I do lots of Yaking, mostly offshore fishing, trap running, trotlines offshore and expeditions. A great deal of this is done in the winter months as well. I too wear other gear, a full dry suit for winter Yaking that runs about 800 bucks.

That said, before you gear down, you need to get in the water with that gear am make sure that you can 100% swim, function and save your self in case of a roll over when wearing this gear. Heck take someone with you to test your self in that gear, make sure that you have some sort of line they can pull you in with too.

Helmets are not cool looking, but during a roll over in moving water, they look so much cooler than bumping your head on a rock. Best ones are for Caving.

I would suggest looking at the Hobie Pro Angler too, if you really want to haul some gear then you may enjoy being able to use your feet to pedal, but of course you can paddle at the same time.

Last thing, have a look at a cheap inflatable set of Sidekick Outriggers for your Yak.

I am sure I would not need to mention a life vest; I mean we are experienced adults who not only want to live to have more fun but also live to spend the money.

Take care, and if you ever have Yak questions feel free to reach out. Been Yaking for 3 decades all over the world in every condition out there.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought a Predator XL Minn Kota a few weeks ago. It's a sit on top Kayak with a 45lb thrust Minn Kota motor in the center console. Lots of storage and will do 6 MPH.
I use it for fishing / trolling. I wear thigh high waders for getting in and out ( cold water in the Ca Eastern Sierras). Oddjob is correct about safety equip.
You MUST have a PFD. Not worth dying over a few bucks.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Advice from a boatnik would be a low center of gravity is always good in choppy, white water as well as a personal floatation device.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would take a Cataraft over a kayak any day. Kayak's are great fun,
but a cataraft can haul gear plus keep you much, much safer.

No matter what craft you get, get a quality inflatable vest and never
get in the water without it. :icon_thumright:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a good thread; we all have our thoughts and views on how each of us would approach the situation based on our own experiences and comfort levels. But we all agree on the safety part being the most important.

That just says we all want you to reach the hard to get to gold so we can hear about later; we just want you to be safe in doing it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as it could double for Bass fishing, I'm game! :laughing7:

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kayaked again up the south fork canyon yesterday with 2 friends. The best sighting of the day was seeing 2 river otters sitting on a rock by the water. We all found gold, some more than others. The best part about our kayak trip is that only after about 20 minutes of paddling you feel as though you are far away from the mainstream world. The canyon is very wild looking. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464288903.470856.jpg

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you make it past the "bowl"?

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We go around the next two corners past the large gravel bar on the left side. We get to shore at the first smaller Rapids and pull the Kayaks for about 15 feet then go about 500 feet further and stop just before the larger Rapids. It's a lot of exercise but fun. After digging and crevassing all day at last it is easier going downstream as there us some current.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread