How best to dry Gold...???

RookmanGold

Dec 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,

Something has been bugging me for a while... I'm hoping a few of you might be able to help (and hope that this can help others too..)...

So you have your nice little vial of Gold.... its in there shining away at you... but in the vial also is water.... fresh from the sniffer bottle... the key question is ..whats the best way to dry it out? Without losing any of those tiny flour flakes you worked so hard to get in the vial in the first place?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

Upvote 0

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ah you can!
I always dry my gold in a microwave. I spill out the gold onto thick paper (soaks up the water). Then dry it in the microwave for one or two minutes.
Surely do not put any other metal into the microwave ;) or wet cats
But a few flakes of gold do no harm.

Michael
I hope that the microwave your using DOSENT get used in your home for food! Mercury doesnt fool around ! Id lable that MW with "NOT FOR FOOD"

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny thing about microwaves - we have a new one....you know, made in China. Is a dinky little thing that takes AT LEAST 50% longer cooking time than recommended! Then my late dad had a microwave - made in USA (told you it was old! :tongue3:). All you gotta do is get your finger near the Start button and the meal is almost done! I swear, that nuker could turn a bowling ball into a full puddle in 3-seconds flat! Scary!!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I wondered what the heck happened to my bowling ball KCM!

I've had Home Liner Accelerator Units (aka Microwaves) that were one step removed from worthless and others that could burn dinner just thinking about turning it on. What I find interesting are the ads for making your own gold bars in the microwave. I've seen what happens when something like a spoon finds its way into the mix and it made the 4th of July fireworks look like a party popper. So... how is it that gold doesn't blow the microwave up?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
First you have to get these little bitty beach towels............. Then.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread