How best to dry Gold...???

RookmanGold

Dec 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,

Something has been bugging me for a while... I'm hoping a few of you might be able to help (and hope that this can help others too..)...

So you have your nice little vial of Gold.... its in there shining away at you... but in the vial also is water.... fresh from the sniffer bottle... the key question is ..whats the best way to dry it out? Without losing any of those tiny flour flakes you worked so hard to get in the vial in the first place?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Can also take older cake and baking pans, spread the gold out thinly and allow to dry in the sun.

You can also put gold in an iron skillet or pan and heat it over a heat source, preferably outside, unless you are certain there is no lead or mercury.

Also, could take a piece of steel pipe with a steel cap. Place your gold inside (while outside) and heat with a torch. Once cool, be sure to remove the pipe cap and get any gold that stayed caught inside.

...There's probably no end to the different ways it can be done. Like, if it's windy outside or if animals (or birds) are around to be a potential problem, if it's a warm sunny day, spread thinly on a baking pan and set on the dash of your car.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put it in a small pan, dump the water off then set it on the cable box
I fold a business card and scoop it up and put it in 1" ziplock bags I get at the headshop.
I don't like to keep my gold in glass vials (had a bad experience once).
DSC01814.JPG

OP
OP
RookmanGold

RookmanGold

Dec 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wonderful answers so far.. I love that each has their own "System" which is tried and tested... honestly I havn't had the courage after 4 years to try it.... dont want to lose anything....it is all lead and mercury free.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I put it in a small pan, dump the water off then set it on the cable box

I never thought that I would meet someone else who does this. The sat cable box in our RV gets very warm and this is how we do it when we go out a few times a year.

That is too funny.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're absolutely positive about lead/mercury free, then you can dry your gold anywhere. The only thing to watch out for would be breezy areas, pets/animals/birds, kids, accidents (like somebody not realizing what's there and dumping it out), and making sure the wife gives permission for any pans you might happen to use. I would stay away from ANYTHING that has a coating, like teflon. Also, the smoother the pan the better. Gold could get caught in grooves made by a knife or spatula, but is easy to work out with a small brush (when dry).

Treat it with the protection of the effort put into getting the gold in the first place. If you work your butt off for a weekend for 1/2 a gram of gold, you're not likely to let it sit somewhere where the neighbor's dog can come sniffing around - at least I wouldn't think so!

A metal coffee can or vegetable can "could" be used, but I wouldn't do it unless there was nothing else to use. Too much chance of gold getting caught under the inner rim of the can. However, for very small amounts, a clean and dry soda can would work well, so long as it wouldn't get knocked over.

If you use basic common sense, you'll quickly learn there are MANY safe and effective means that may be used.

OP
OP
RookmanGold

RookmanGold

Dec 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Treat it with the protection of the effort put into getting the gold in the first place" - Exactly....

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$6.99 if you don't want to buy a gold tray.

Stainless Steel Mixing Measuring Cup Set - Thres... : Target

Just be aware.............................
If you hit the MOTHA LODE.... and have a PILE of gold... it will POP while cooking if you cook it too fast.
Most don't have to worry about PILES... but still even small piles can POP and your gold will go flying.
Heat it slow and stir it if you have a decent amount.

I just give my mercury to the kids to play with.
That third eye of theirs gets all crazy with excitement when I do.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464099918.972981.jpg I put my gold in a small ceramic soap dish (no seams for gold to hide in). I drain off as much water as I can and then put an incandescent desk lamp right over it to heat it up gently. In 10-20 minutes I have dry gold. Gold with mercury stays in water until it visits my friend's retort.

PS soap dish courtesy of Walmart for two bucks.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a small cast iron pan its like five inches. Its big so i can dump into it from a pan or snuffer. Then I dump off most off the water. If I want more water out and have fine gold that could ride surface tension out. I dump as much as I can and use a dry paper towel to wick up as much water as I can. The black cast iron gets hot enough in the sun that it quickly evaporates the water.
You cant/shouldn't heat fine gold in stainless steel. if you get it to melting point it will braze to the pan. I do have to worry about mercury and lead so I do need to be mindful. Thats why I use cast iron.( don't keep water in it overnight it will rust) I keep it in my shack and the wife and kids know to never ever use it. A large heavy container is also a lot harder to tip over than small relatively light ramekan/portion cup. Not that it doesnt't work or those are bad ideas. I just have had my own set of experiences that have got me to where i'm at for final drying and filling of containers.

Also you can just dump it right on a paper towel Daryl. You don't have too many super fines. Once it dries you can fold it and dump it onto a piece of regular paper. As long as its dry and you tap it well from behind and rub it even the fine gold will release from the paper towel onto what ever your transfering with.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dump mine back into a gold pan that has a smooth transition from bottom to edge, pour off excess water then sun dry it before transferring it to a vial via a creased sheet of paper. I do this over a safety pan or another creased sheet of paper just in case I spill some.

Last edited:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you click the link below...
It should start about the drying time. (20 minutes in)
I've done up to 6 ounces in that tray, but that's about the max.
I've just learned better than to leave gold "sitting around".
Strange things happen.
:)

http://youtu.be/YyBLBaBuW6k?t=20m5s

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dump mine back into a gold pan that has a smooth transition from bottom to edge, pour off excess water then sun dry it before transferring it to a vial via a creased sheet of paper. I do this over a safety pan or another creased sheet of paper just in case I spill some.
The speed that small round gold can get coming off a creased paper is pretty amazing isn't it!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't try the microwave!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're drying a small amount the bottom of a soda can and a desk lamp works well. The dimple on the bottom of the can is smooth and you can pour the gold right into a vial if you're using a funnel.

OP
OP
RookmanGold

RookmanGold

Dec 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Isnt it amazing how much ingenuity goes on with you guys ... there was me thinking there must be one standard process....

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Ain't no such thing as "Standard" around here! More like a bunch of Frank Zappas and the Mothers of Invention. Some of us are even as off the wall as "Uncle Frank" too!!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's why I like prospectors/miners so much - the seemingly unlimited ingenuity and creativity. That's how I was raised. There was no such thing as "can't do it". It was, well, get it done. There were no threats; only challenges. ...Ah, the life of a child - especially this one! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread