Going alone.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last few times I have gone out, it has been alone and to some very remote and sometimes traitorous areas.
And I don't give it too much thought until someone asks me about it.

Bottom line is I love it and the "what if's" are not going to stop me.
But the 'what if's" can still happen and if you're by yourself and get hurt, things can get ugly.
So I am considering signing up for a "SPOT" emergency GPS spotter.

Anyone have one and used it?

Anyone have good stories of going alone and wish they had a SPOT?

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have carried the ACR 406mhz EPIRB but fortunately never needed it.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I use one all the time when out there....no phone signal...my wife loves it knowing I am safe.

Will be using it this weekend...

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biker buds use it and swear buy it .

Some of the guys we Dirtbike with carry one as well. It makes total sense.
I'll be getting one soon I guess.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a SPOT now for 5 years or so and love it. You can set it so your family/friends, or whomever you choose, can view you current location and track log. I use it every time I go out anywhere remote or alone. You can also set up custom messages to send your family via text and/or email like "Here's where I'm camping" or "send a tow truck to this location", etc.. I keep it in my vehicle all the time just in case. IMO, the yearly fee is well worth the peace of mind. No matter who you choose, make sure you buy the insurance for an actual rescue. If you are not covered, then you could be liable for hundreds of thousands of dollars for a rescue depending on who/what/where. Emergency helicopter rides to/from remote locations are not cheap!

Last edited:

NoBudgetMining

Greenie
Oct 29, 2015
Sw Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look into the Delorme as well. It's what I ended up going with and I really like it. I figure with the wife and kids at home it would be smart to be able to receive a text if there's a problem at home. Or if my heart acts up in the middle of nowhere.

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also have the acr resqlink unit. Best one for $250. Best unit for getting help the fastest.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to go out solo quite a bit in the past. I don't do that now if I can help it because I don't bounce back as well as I used to. I've spent the majority of my life out in the woods and deserts across the southern portion of the country and am comfortable (and at times prefer) with the solitude. Even though I was well trained by the Army I don't go out solo without letting someone know where I'll be and when I plan on returning. If possible I make sure that I have someone acting as a control that I check in with on a regular basis. I think that that four months I spent alone in the field when I first moved up to this area was in all likelihood my last time going out like that.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a Spot Messenger in 2008 as I was going to be out for awhile and likely I'd be 'way out there' so my son asked me to take one with me. Best safety investment I've ever made! Since then other folks are making this type of unit so you've more to choose from. All of them have expenses associated too them, like the yearly service but need it Once like I did and you will quickly realize how good of an investment it is. There was a good possibility I would not have made it back if I wasn't carrying that unit and that I decided to press the 911 button (basically pressing that button on the Spot means come get my weary butt out of here). Well worth the money!..................63bkpkr

tim907

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely check in to the Delorme inReach, it allows you to send and receive text messages to cell phone numbers or email addresses as well as hit the SOS button for an emergency rescue. The two way texting is great as it lets you know that the rescue copper is on the way or that your friend with the part for your truck or whatever is coming and when to expect him. Also, if there is some kind of emergency or whatever back home you need to be aware of. Got mine on sale for $200 and went with the $12 per month plan, great deal!

bcrime10

Aug 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magilla Entertainment Casting Gold Prospectors who mine alone!

Hey G-Bone!

My name is Brigitte Crime and I am a casting associate with Magilla Entertainment, a television production company based in NYC that specializes in non-scripted programming. I am reaching out because we are currently casting a new series for a major cable network about gold mining and prospecting. This series will feature men and women who head out on their own to mine for gold in some of the few locations that have been untouched by mining. This series will focus on each person's journey towards finding their huge payday as well as survival. Each prospector will only have the tools and resources that they can carry as they take this journey. It's kind of like Alone meets Gold Rush.

I came across you on this forum and would love to tell you more. I can be reached at 646-432-1330 between 10am-6pm EST. I have also attached our flyer and casting call if you would like to share it with anyone you feel would be a good fit via email or post it on social media.

*CASTING CALL:
NOW CASTING GOLD PROSPECTORS!

Magilla Entertainment and a major cable network are now casting a new series about people searching for gold. We are looking for men and women of all ages with gold fever who have the knowledge and survival skills to go out alone, prospecting in the few locations left that have been untouched by big mining. Do you have a family history of prospecting and mining going back generations? Or have you only recently become interested in striking it rich? Have your friends been prospecting for years and you want in on the action? Perhaps you are the only one in your family to search for a golden payday and no one else in your life seems to understand.

If you want to be considered or are interested in learning more, email us ASAP at [email protected] along with your name, age, location, occupation, recent photo, phone number and any experience you have with prospecting and mining.

Cheers,
Brigitte

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
The best way to have piece of mind is to carry a piece!

NEVER go alone! But if you do carry the equalizer!

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last few times I have gone out, it has been alone and to some very remote and sometimes traitorous areas.
And I don't give it too much thought until someone asks me about it.

Bottom line is I love it and the "what if's" are not going to stop me.
But the 'what if's" can still happen and if you're by yourself and get hurt, things can get ugly.
So I am considering signing up for a "SPOT" emergency GPS spotter.

Anyone have one and used it?

Anyone have good stories of going alone and wish they had a SPOT?

I just got back from Colorado yesterday! I went into the mountains, VERY remote and I didn't see anyone while I was out there, that being said I don't worry about my safety. I always watch my ass in every direction and if someone does happen to follow me, they will be met with a .45 in their face and wont end up pretty. I will not state where I was hiking but lets just say Im going back in 2 weeks to claim a massive treasure ive been researching for many years. Good day sir!

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I ended up getting a SPOT - Gen 3 and really like it.
Not only as an SOS unit but just sending family a note and being able to track/pinpoint areas you want to note.
On my last two adventures, the wife really liked getting the "I'm OK" note and she also has a link to a map showing exactly where I am at that time.

Hopefully, I never need it for the Emergency portion.
But I will be using it regularly on all my treks for tracking and general communication.

Cheers.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just letting someone know where you are going and when to expect you back is worth a lot.
-----------
Look forward to seeing a TV show based "loosely" upon your prospecting trips. Ha Ha!
I expect you will have many near misses...rocks rolling down the hillside...falling trees....bears....snakes....people trying to claim jump...equipment sabotaged ect.
You will recover thousands of dollars in gold every other trip out.
Reality TV Gotta love it.

A lifetime of adventures rolled into a couple episodes.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from Colorado yesterday! I went into the mountains, VERY remote and I didn't see anyone while I was out there, that being said I don't worry about my safety. I always watch my ass in every direction and if someone does happen to follow me, they will be met with a .45 in their face and wont end up pretty. I will not state where I was hiking but lets just say Im going back in 2 weeks to claim a massive treasure ive been researching for many years. Good day sir!

Try outs are not until next week....

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread