ABORT!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was going up for a 4 day trip up to Lake Superior to hit some more sand. About Abrams, the service engine light came on, so I thought that probably the O2 sensor is taking a puke again. When I hit Marinette, I had to slow down for a light, and the engine was missing at idle. Turned her around and headed home with a stop at my mechanic. His computer gave a code that #3 cylinder is misfiring, so that's either a bad wire or coil. I'll find out tomorrow!

Just glad it's not getting stuck 10 miles out in the middle of nowhere!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh Thank Gawd! I thought maybe you had tried to mount my ex-wife. :hello:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh Thank Gawd! I thought maybe you had tried to mount my ex-wife. :hello:

HELP! - Ice Age - Copy.gif

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to be a little more expensive than thought!

Plug dirty but fine.
Cable good.
Coil good.
Cylinder pressure good.
Injector ???
Valve ???

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timely break downs are a special gift, as you'd commented "good thing it did not happen 10 miles out into nowhere"...........63bkpkr

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going to be a little more expensive than thought!

Plug dirty but fine.
Cable good.
Coil good.
Cylinder pressure good.
Injector ???
Valve ???

If Cylinder pressure is good so are the valves. But it don't mean the cam is not go bad on one cylinder or a lifter.

Bill

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I chased a intermittent miss at idle on my 5.4l f150, I thought coil pack initially and checked everything you listed. Never threw a code, took it to the mechanic cuz I was stumped and they changed an injector and have it back and it was still the same. Was very intermittent and took it back and they said it wouldn't do it for them... pulled my hair out over this for a month or so and did some research and ended up replacing a sensor or regulator? It was so long ago I can't remember exactly but it was something electronic causing it and fairly inexpensive, I fixed it myself. Was the only issue I ever had with that truck..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that happen a few years ago and it was the head gasket starting to go. Hope that's not the problem. Do a compression test.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compression is good.

Otherwise that Lincoln engine is 21 years at 187K and not using a drop of oil yet, though the valve cover gaskets are just starting to dribble. Can't say that about the transaxel. Puked at 76K and still running at 120K. The mechanics couldn't figure out how it was still driveable that long. A number of systems on that car were orange tagged where you have to call Ford before servicing. Probably a first model year car.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timely break downs are a special gift, as you'd commented "good thing it did not happen 10 miles out into nowhere"...........63bkpkr

Whenever a Ford leaves me stranded, it's always within spitting distance of a Ford dealership.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Usually when a Ford has trouble a Chevy will come along to help out. But seriously, could be fuel related as in dirty filter or low fuel pump pressure? Glad you limped her home!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When was the last set of plugs put in? My wife's Jeep every 60k starts to skip intermitently the electrodes burn ( electrical wear) gap opens up too much. Try a new set.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That plug is black and wet, the rest look pretty good. Plug and cable worked fine when swapped to a different cylinder.

Mechanic's looking to try changing the injector tip. On jet helicopters, we changed the fuel injector at 2500 hours as they'd wear, and not give proper droplet size. She's getting fuel, but not burning properly.

Just wonder if the air filter came apart and we have something blocking the intake. Did have a mouse try setting up a home this winter after I had changed the engine and cabin filters.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a shop for 20 yrs. sounds like a leaky injector try some Gum-out injector cleaner in a tank of gas. Go out and beat the crap out of it! If that doesn't work change the injector.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Injector didn't fix. Possibly PCM or worse.

Today just bought a 2013 Escape with 30K on it. I'm done getting nickled and dimed by the Lincoln. Dealer would only give $150 but I could get $250 at the scrapyard. May try selling to a collector who'd want to restore her, cause she's old enough for collector plates.

The Escape has enough room to pack my Model 5 fluid bed almost fully assembled with enough room for the scuba/camping gear as well.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Today just bought a 2013 Escape with 30K on it. I'm done getting nickled and dimed by the Lincoln. Dealer would only give $150 but I could get $250 at the scrapyard. May try selling to a collector who'd want to restore her, cause she's old enough for collector plates.

Well so am I BUT nobody is offering to buy me! :)

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Well so am I BUT nobody is offering to buy me! :)

we could still hang plates on ya for show Russ what ya think. LOL

Bill

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a better resting place for the Lincoln, Bart Starr's Rawhide Boys Ranch! I get a tax deduction, and the wayward boys get something to fix up and resell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread