please, can anyone tell if this is gold in my rocks?

sk8ermadre

Greenie
May 1, 2016
Acton, California
Detector(s) used
A cheap one from Harbor Frieght
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160529_165139.jpg 20160529_164934.jpg 20160525_033120.jpg 20160516_214241.jpg p I live in an old mining town near Sutter's Mill/Mine & Governer's Mine; both known tfor recovery of gold. I have read so much about gold ore and seen pictures and watched videos but nothing substitutes experience which I know many of you have. I have more rock pics to. I have broken up a lot from two particular locations. Thanks for any help

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks more like pyrite.... take a knife point to it and see if it is malleable or brittle.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Take a magnifying glass and you can see the little cube crystals of pyrite. 90* angle cubes. Sorry...

OP
OP
S

sk8ermadre

Greenie
May 1, 2016
Acton, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@johnedoe I did the knife test and safety pin test on it before posting and this is what was left on the rock after the pyrite pieces like shattered. The rock with the silver color in corner split so neatly when i broke it. just saying. Thanks for responding

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sk8ermadre

Greenie
May 1, 2016
Acton, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@kingkid1611 yes with a knife and safety pin and this is what was left on the rock. This was not the outside of rock. This is after splitting /breaking them up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sk8ermadre

Greenie
May 1, 2016
Acton, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@claimstake Thanks I am trying the panning thing now with some other . I am not so good at it because a guy here says I do it to fast and am not patient enough. I will keep at it though. Maybe learn patience along the way LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sk8ermadre

Greenie
May 1, 2016
Acton, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@austin I do have a magnifying glass and whats left on these rocks after testing does not really have the sharp angles like pyrite. Thanks for redponding

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1319600 View attachment 1319603 View attachment 1319607 View attachment 1319611 p I live in an old mining town near Sutter's Mill/Mine & Governer's Mine; both known tfor recovery of gold. I have read so much about gold ore and seen pictures and watched videos but nothing substitutes experience which I know many of you have. I have more rock pics to. I have broken up a lot from two particular locations. Thanks for any help

One simple, unmentioned and usually reliable test is testing the color under variable light conditions. Compare the coloration under direct light then shade it with your hand. If it changes substantially and does not look like gold in the shaded light then it most likely is not gold and is probably a pyrite of some type. This test is always my first "go to" when I am unsure if what I am looking at is gold.

Last edited:

boblemon

May 14, 2015
Kansas city Kansas
Detector(s) used
All Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like there s gold mixed in . anyways the specimen is worth more than crushed ore by far >

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is gold in that rock for sure. Though it may be locked up in sulfides, thus hard to recover by gravity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread