Best sluice ?

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can do a quick search here and find a wealth of info and opinions on this subject.

Good digging :thumbsup:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There's no such thing as a "best" sluice or a one-size-fits-all device when it comes to mining/prospecting. Especially with placer mining, every area is different; size of gold, slope, terrain, large rocks/medium rocks/small rocks/few rocks, amount of water, amount of flooding, accessibility, etc, etc, etc. Most any sluice will work in most any area, but there will be a lot of trial and error to dial in the right combination for your area.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most any sluice will work. That said I tend to agree with your gut on this one. They'd have to convince me their louvres work. A52 or 51 style or one of the Bazookas are good choices.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brawn drop riffles are great...the louvers I don't know.
Just looking at a sluice you bought definitely isn't the way to decide how well it works.
All sluices catch gold it's water flow and material that affect how a sluice performs. Material exchange and throughput ability while maintaining a good recovery are variables your dealing with.
In every sluice changing one of those variables affects the aspects of those other variables.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Any sluice that is made properly and set up correctly can and will catch gold. The trick is learning how your particular sluice works best in different conditions. As water levels change, so must the angle of the box. Even different types of materials can call for different setups. I think that I've got an advantage in running a re-circulating system instead of a stream/river box. On mine I have total control of water flow and box angle. How I set it up depends on the type of materials I'm running.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread