Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for any info in regards to
how to build or whether or not someone has done this before.
Looking to build a small hopper with a grizzly on it that will overhang a cliff, there will be drain pipe attached to the bottom of the hopper and it has to go about 250 ft to the bottom. Will shovel into it with a shovel, material will drop out into the back of a truck and be hauled to a nearby wash plant.

Attachments

• 1465452511799.jpg
    1465452511799.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
200 ft of 4 inch drain pipe $115.00, all one piece, no seams or couplers.
That's pretty cheap if you ask me.
I don't know if the 4 inch would plug up if it's pretty much vertical, the material Inside the drain pipe should fall at different speeds, ( not positive though).

Jog where did you find 200 ft of pipe?

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I can find online I can get it locally. May have order it but I can get it.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
https://youtu.be/kim1VxcaOGc

Here is a look at what I have to work with.

looks dry washable,
build yourself a dry tromell, a little shaker action for the riffle tray and some air blowin through it to help dry your materials run twice i think youd have it licked.

dont know if youve tried the drywasher yet as some dirt types i run here has heavy gold it can be really moist and the gold will fall out, just a thought,
also during the dry spells if you could stack your ore in piles have at the ready tarps to cover during wet periods, summers coming so you may get the weather to work in your favor.
GT.....................

Last edited:
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked at the type of pipe I was thinking of and looks like it is corrugated inside like was mentioned earlier so it will have to be a different type. I enjoy all the ideas shared here, keeps my brain working overtime.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks dry washable,
build yourself a dry tromell, a little shaker action for the riffle tray and some air blowin through it to help dry your materials run twice i think youd have it licked.

dont know if youve tried the drywasher yet as some dirt types i run here has heavy gold it can be really moist and the gold will fall out, just a thought,
also during the dry spells if you could stack your ore in piles have at the ready tarps to cover during wet periods, summers coming so you may get the weather to work in your favor.
GT.....................

Thanks, great advice.
Have thought about just trying a dry washer to see what happens.
I know this guy with a trommel that would work to dry screen the material first, haha!

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, great advice.
Have thought about just trying a dry washer to see what happens.
I know this guy with a trommel that would work to dry screen the material first, haha!

Yes do try a drywasher a lot of folks dont realize that they can run moist dirt. if the gold is meaty you will grab the heavy stuff. run it twice, run it slow.
you need a puffer drywash to do this as the vibration of the power units tend to just settle the heavy wet dirt, the action of the puffer, hops the ore over the riffle, this way you should be able to run moist dirt.

we had a dry tromell at our mill shop. i never used it.
it was just a basic tromel, had a drywasher type riffle tray vibrated and had air flow in place of a sluice.

if i can find i think i have a pic of the dadgum thing.

the guys informed me that the tromel riffle just vibrated, i will still look for the pics.

You could also look into building a skid, winch the ore down the hill we do this here when we have much steep ground for walkin up.

Ramblings of a desert gold tramp.

Last edited:

gabatsns

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were up to me, I would rig a heavy duty zip line with two large buckets equidistant. when one was heavy enough to drag the other uphill, I would let it do so and have the buckets so rigged as to strike ( not savagely ) against a horizontal bar at the truck up ending the bucket and relieving it of its load , the opposite bucket will already be in place for the next run.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trying a drywasher before going all out on a chute would be the logical move. if it doesn't work then you can try the much more difficult and costly idea of a chute right?

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your looking for idea's maybe your own version of this;

https://youtu.be/tueRDSkHmDw

Dave Wilson's howto on Tnet; http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/drywashing/429187-gold-drum-2.html#post4674559

That looks like that may be the ticket, I am assuming that the gold gets trapped in the back of the drum and everything else else just slowly gets worked to the front. Looks like a person would end up with very little material to run in the end. That would solve a lot of problems and time.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That could make a really nice washplant if you got some water spraying everything in there. But for dry purposes it looks pretty good too.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a system like this would work real well with the type of soil I have with very little modifications.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look up "landscaping chute". Not cheap but if you've got a lot of material to move they will do the job.

Example

If it was a straight drop you could use a canvas construction chute. A lot cheaper.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up "landscaping chute". Not cheap but if you've got a lot of material to move they will do the job.

Example

If it was a straight drop you could use a canvas construction chute. A lot cheaper.

Heavy Pans

Thanks Clay
I will look into that because it's pretty much straight down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread