Digging tools

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do any of you forum members have any experience in using the Estwing Geo/Paleo pick? https://www.google.com/webhp?source...n=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=estwing geo /paleo pick It looks like it would be ideal for chipping out cemented gravels and caliche as found in my area of Arizona and some reviews I have read confirm that. It weighs 4 pounds, about the same combined weight of the geologist hammer and pack shovel I currently most often use since I usually work in fairly remote areas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have it and it's a great tool and it goes with me everywhere. The tip can get dull relatively quickly but I bet no faster than any other pick. It's a little short so you have to get down a little bit to where you're swinging but I don't mind that since it's pretty easier to carry around. It has a good swing so breaking hardpack wouldn't be too difficult I think. The other end is really good for moving material out of your hole even if it's still a little packed but I always still have a shovel with me becasue I use it for digging in the river mostly. It's really nice for moving rocks in the river becasue it can be used to pry and then break up the gravel so you can shovel it out. 5/5 a quality pick.

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have one of those. Great tool and the kids haven't broken it yet. :thumbsup:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Get one of these bad boys too.... I used to have one......It is very good tool.
Estwing Gad Pry Bar

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its a great tool, very much worth grabbing.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Most estwing tools are top grade the geo pick is worthy tool its small, light weight, good for tight work, soft pockets n mucking, good for breakin small samples, It will last a few years under constant use on small prospects, if you don’t use it as a pry bar!

I use mine more for moving the softer materials of prospecting and steadiyng my self coming down hill, chiping small samples and cleanin the walls n floor of our holes, its excelent for muckin the hardrock waste, keepin my waste rock piled up and movin it into the buckets for removal from dig.

one must remember right size tool for job, the smaller the tool, more work for your body trying to break stuff up, one really needs to have a fairly heavy pick for bustin clods, some weight behind the muscle. prolonged use of a light weight tool causes wrist, elbow, shoulder failure, heck so does heavy stuff, its just better to use the right size for the dig.

One really needs a good mid weight, at least 5ft long pike for diggin as this really aids in moving the bigger cobbles the pick wont handle, and really helps loosen the packed stuff also.
I have to say if your swingin the yellow handled 2 pound engineer hammer, the head flys off fairly fast, mine was off 2 weeks into work, jb welded it back 3 times now im giving up, so its not miner approved, made more for an engineers to use.

Heres a pic of an assortment of picks differant weights n types, chisels, rock wedges, spoons, hammers all stuff one would use in hardrock and or placer mining, or prospecting.

If you want to dig hole to find gold, one has to have equipment no matter how for out in the bush it is for a person to carry,

unless you just metal detect, one has to carry weight in tools, that’s why I leave the gun at home, to much extra weight.
Unless your in country where you are part of the food chain then you must carry as it’s a needed tool.

sample of my tool set, always keep sharp tools !

Ramblings of a desert gold tramp…….

View attachment 1325325 View attachment 1325324

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Gad Pry bar and it is amazing what can be done with a short pry bar, quality tool. I've marvelled at the Geo/Paleo pick as it looks like a might useful tool but since I backpack into Remote country I have to leave something behind so I've never purchased one as I know I would want to bring it in, likely it would be the straw that breaks the camels back...............63bkpkr

Also, GoldTramp offers some excellent comments! I 'had' a five foot pry bar down in the canyon with me and it was worth its weight in gold HOWEVER IF the user is not wise, as GoldTramp mentions, the user will hurt themselves using a tool at its upper limit of usefulness as all of that leverage goes right into the users body, AKA rotary cuff surgeries among other injuries!

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Estwing tools usually outlast their mining owners-I would never part with a single one I own and that's plenty-John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, when either one of Us finally passes over to the next great adventure I kinda pity our kids having to dig through all of our heavy prospecting gear. Do ya think a sluice box could pass for a coffin and pry bars bolted to the sides of it for carry handles? Yes, Eastwing tools will out last their owners!..................63bkpkr

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've worn out a few of the more modern Eastwing tools including the geo pick. On the other hand my leather handle rock pick from 1962 is holding up fine. Quality has changed over time. The Eastwings are some of the best tools you can buy but expecting them to survive years of mining use is a little unrealistic.

The geo pick is well made and a design that's intended to perform several functions in one tool. I enjoyed my geo pick because it's the only tool in it's weight class that allows you to pry and scoop. The best light pick and scoop combination is Bunk's Hermit Pick but you can't pry with a Hermit Pick (wood handle). Eventually the geo pick bent which made it unsuitable as a pick or a scoop although it still functions as a light pry bar. It's too heavy for that single purpose so I gave it to another prospector.

The best tools are those made for a specific job. I would put the Hermit Pick up against any other for digging a desert target and moving the gravel aside. My full size pick/mattock does a great job at breaking up soil, plants and gravels quickly with minimum effort. My gad bar will tear holes in just about anything short of solid rock. My #2 shovel has moved more tons than most tractors. My single jack, chisel and feathers and wedges break even the biggest rocks down to little ones. None of these tools perform the functions of the other tools well.

For working in soft, rotten rock and moving small amounts of material quickly the Geo pick is good. It's particularly good at assisting in opening mineral vugs and veins in combination with the other tools mentioned. I've used, abused and discarded many mining tools through the years. The Geo pick was one of the better designed and made tools on that list. I just didn't find it as useful for prospecting and exploration work as my other tools. For your purposes it may work well.

That's my virtual two cents. Worth about 5 cents less than a wooden nickle.

Heavy Pans

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John, when either one of Us finally passes over to the next great adventure I kinda pity our kids having to dig through all of our heavy prospecting gear. Do ya think a sluice box could pass for a coffin and pry bars bolted to the sides of it for carry handles? Yes, Eastwing tools will out last their owners!..................63bkpkr

It's okay, just tell me where I can find them. :tongue3:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good to me Herb but I've paid for cremation and going in the creek alongside Mom, Pop and both Gparents. I'll feed the fish who kept me such good company for so many 10s a 1,000s of hours throughout these long years. BUT I like the idea and yes I pity my son trying to sell off my last 4 dredges and highbankers plus tons of gear wow what a chore.....John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I made my own "Gad Bar" pry bar out of long handle 3/4 Allan wrench and welded a 3/4 long spud to the other end of it 35 years ago and it still is doing just fine for this F.O.G. All I did after welding these two together I formed the angled part of the Allan into the angle I wanted and ground it into a flattened end for prying. it is 14 inchs long totally. I used this back when I was doing electrical construction at McDonnel Douglas in St.Louis , Misery:)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau,
Home Made tools or a tool taken from an area not associated with prospecting but anything that works is just that, it works! I'd be curious to see a picture of your Gad/Allen/Prybar/Welding tool!....................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread