So, which one is pyrite?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyrite.jpg

I just wanted to play with this idea a little. Nothing too serious just hoping for some open discussion.
Not all of these materials can be pyrite. We know each substance has specific attributes inherent to it's nature. These attributes being reflectance, absorbtion, refraction, therefore each material and each color of material must represent different chemical compounds.

Not all of these stones can be pyrite. Sure they are all metallic sulfides but each is obviously a separate composition. I have spent enough time on webmineral and minedat to know there are thousands of various combinations of mineral elements the layman would call pyrite and throw it back into the creek. I used to do that myself.

But really if a person wants to really identify materials and get all the values from a given area I think we need to move beyond calling every glittering sulphide pyrite.

chalco.jpg

Please feel free to share any useful information you might feel inclined to.

Upvote 0

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold glows or shines, but does NOT reflect. That is how I distinguish gold from pyrites. If I shade my pan, the gold still glows, the pyrite doesn't

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fill in the blank or blanks lots of combinations of iron sulfides or in the case of pyrite, Disulfide
sulfides of *________

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pyrite can be pretty, but it only has two places to go once I find it, it becomes Leverite or it gets thrown into my rock garden. If you ever have any question on if it's gold or pyrite, crush it and pan it. Let gravity decide.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@ragnor.

well you kinda answered your own question.

all anyone can really do is compare samples with pictures and descriptions. there's many different variations of the same minerals that havn't even been named yet.

and then a lot of minerals change from one thing to another from oxidization and/or hydration. pyrite and other sulfides for example.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice samples! If you can get enough, process them - you'll get a nice return of metals. Type of processing will depend on a lot of things. Just know that lots of pyrite "does have" good gold values. It just costs a bit to process it.

gabatsns

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which one is pyrite?

The one on the left end is indeed pyrite, but it may be chalco as well containing some values if treated. The second from the left, although it looks like a solid pyrite block, May be a large piece of Micaceous ore but I am thinking not since y ou included it here with the others. The middle one appears to be a specimen convered with lead or silver ore that has oxidised, can't tell whats in the middle. The reddish one is I admit a mystery to me. I do think I see a lot of mica there but I cannot tell without a higher resolution.

Iridescence in the separate pic gives away the chalcopyrite it contains.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread