is this gold

pa goldprospector

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im very new to panning i foolishly bought a gold cube a year ago been too biz to try it i just got the chance to try it with a topper i only used it 15 min. to try it and this is wut i found gold pics.JPG :BangHead:

Upvote 0

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does not look like gold. Put water in the pan and swish around. If the contents move around easily then maybe some black sand , mica and small quartz pieces.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
im very new to panning i foolishly bought a gold cube a year ago been too biz to try it i just got the chance to try it with a topper i only used it 15 min. to try it and this is wut i found View attachment 1326445 :BangHead:

It is usually not foolish to buy a gold cube (one fine piece of equipment) but if there is no gold in the feed then....
Can't tell what you have there. IMO next step is to learn how to pan AND most importantly, know how to identify gold. Unless what you have there has gold in it then the best way to do that is to buy some paydirt and practice panning.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pa goldprospector

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i tried that the pic was after my blue bowl its wut was left over i have a second pic much cleaner thank you for the reply

OP
OP
P

pa goldprospector

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the most i ever have in my pan is small splitshot birdshot and 22s lol pa gold is like catching a ghost lol

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard saying from the picture. There are a few "tests" you can easily do to figure it out on your own though.

1. Crush test. Try crushing the pieces in question. If they shatter or break up into smaller flakes it's some form of mica, not gold. Gold will flatten out/mash down
2. Streak test. If one piece is large enough rub it on a white tile (unglazed) and see if it leaves a gold streak.
3. Sun test. Pass you hand over the pieces so it casts a shadow on them. Pyrite and mica will darken while gold will still shine.
4. Swirl test. With just a little water in your pan, gently swirl the water over the pieces, Gold will be the last thing to move. Mica will move and look like it's floating a bit. Gold DON'T float!!!

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold "can" float! If any oils get into the water, fine gold can and will float right out.

This includes skin oils, oil from your hair, from some piece of machinery maybe...also from gas or diesel.

EDIT: One more "oil" source to add to the list - INSECT SPRAY!

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it could be gold or it could be iron pyrite the best way to tell is experience, that's what it takes, once you know you'll know
looks like your going to have to look at it under magnification, at least a 30X jewelers loupe. does it have a crystal structure or is it metal (gold)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some nice little loupes available on Amazon for less than $5; others less than $10.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ebay if you don't mind waiting weeks for shipping get one for about $2. I got a cheap one 20x. It works but next time I might spend more like $5-10 and get one a little more powerful.

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold "can" float! If any oils get into the water, fine gold can and will float right out.

This includes skin oils, oil from your hair, from some piece of machinery maybe...also from gas or diesel.

Good point kcm. Allow me to add a USUALLY in there where needed. That's what I get for posting before the coffee has worked its magic. :coffee2:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Irish, I deeply apologize that you had to have a "Failing Brain Cell" moment. You most likely caught that nasty, contagious bug from me, as I am quickly becoming overly famous for having such a deeply-seated case of this horrible disease. I "would" wish you better luck in the future, but then you'd probably have a baby grand piano fall on top of you while out in nature....and out of tune, no less!!

ROFL - Copy.gif

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

One can float fine gold very easy just tilt your pan let the fine stuff air dry a little, very slowly allow water back onto the gold, amazing it will float,
as for just floating it right out of your equipment it probably wouldnt happen, all I run is fine gold, never have had it float unless I manipulate it to do so.
Skin, hair, insect spray I doubt would hurt ones op or float there gold off, maybe diesel or oil.
Not saying it cant happen, just havnt seen it and I work with some pretty fine stuff, my 2 cents.
GT………..

View attachment 1326970 View attachment 1326971

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread